- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Gender differences in the impact of socioeconomic, health-related, and health behavioral factors on the health-related quality of life of the Korean elderly
노인의 사회경제적 상태, 건강상태, 건강행태와 건강관련 삶의 질의 관계: 성별 차이를 중심으로
- Moon, Seongmi (Dept. of Nursing, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan)
- 문성미 (울산대학교 의과대학 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.04.03
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
The present study was designed to examine the impact of socioeconomic, health-related, and health behavioral factors on the health-related quality of life (HRQoL) of the Korean elderly by gender. The subjects comprised 688 men and 898 women aged 65 or more who had participated in the Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey conducted in 2014. The associations of factors with the HRQoL as measured with the European Quality of Life 5 Dimensions (EQ-5D) Index were examined in a general linear model. The most influential factor on the HRQoL was depression in both men and women. The perceived health status and walking activity were also associated with the HRQoL in both men and women. The living arrangement and educational status were associated with the HRQoL in women, while the body mass index was associated with the HRQOL in men. Depression management and the promotion of walking activity are essential to the HRQoL of the Korean elderly. Particular attention must be paid to the HRQoL of older women who live alone and have a lower level of education.
- Statistics Korea, "Future households estimation 2010-2035", 2012, http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&bSeq=&aSeq=255176&pageNo=20&rowNum=10&navCount=10&currPg=&sTarget=title&sTxt=, March 2, 2017.
- K. H. Jeong, Y. H. Oh, E. N. Kang, J. H. Kim, D. Sunwoo, M. A. Oh, Y. K. Lee, N. H. Hwang, K. R. Kim, S. W. Oh, B. M. Park, H. G. Shin, K. R. Lee, "2014 Survey of elderly", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2014.
- Statistics Korean, "Changes in Korean society after Liberation", 2015, http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&bSeq=&aSeq=347767&pageNo=1&rowNum=10&navCount=10&currPg=&sTarget=title&sTxt=%ED%86%B5%EA%B3%84%EB%A1%9C+%EB%B3%B8+%EA%B4%91%EB%B3%B5, March 2, 2017.
- D. H. Lee, "The Effects of Quality of Life in the Elderly's Health Condition." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp.93-108, 2010.
- DOI: K. Hajian-Tilaki, B. Heidari, A. Hajian-Tilaki, "Solitary and combined negative influences of diabetes, obesity and hypertension on health-related quality of life of elderly individuals: A population-based cross-sectional study." Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.S37-S42, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsx.2016.01.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsx.2016.01.018
- DOI: S. O. Yang, H. R. Cho, S. H. Lee, "A Comparative Study on Influencing Factors of Health Related Quality of Life of the Elderly in Senior Center by Region: Focus on Urban and Rural Areas." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.501-510, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.501 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.501
- DOI: S. Mun, K. Park, Y. Baek, S. Lee, J. H. Yoo, "Interrelationships among common symptoms in the elderly and their effects on health-related quality of life: a cross-sectional study in rural Korea." Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.146, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-016-0549-9 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-016-0549-9
- DOI: K. O. Chang, D. Y. Bae, S. G. Park, "Effect of perceived health status, sleep and depression on quality of life of elderly school participants." Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.329-339, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2012.19.3.329 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2012.19.3.329
- DOI: S. Keshavarzi, S. M. Ahmadi, K. B. Lankarani, "The impact of depression and malnutrition on health-related quality of life among the elderly Iranians." Global Journal of Health Science, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp.161-170, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v7n3p161 https://doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v7n3p161
- DOI: J. I. Kim, "Levels of health-related quality of life (EQ-5D) and its related factors among vulnerable elders receiving home visiting health care services in some rural areas." Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp.99-109, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.1.99 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.1.99
- S. A. Yang, "A study on the relationship among physical function, quality of sleep and quality of life for the elderly in a community." The Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp.335-345, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.335
- K. O. Cho, S. M. Nam, "Relationship between physicla activity and health-related life quality according to gender in Korean elderly people." Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp.775-785, 2013.
- DOI: H. Halaweh, C. Willen, A. Grimby-Ekman, U. Svantesson, "Physical activity and health-related quality of life among community dwelling elderly." Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, Vol. 7, No. 11, pp.845-852, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14740/jocmr2307w https://doi.org/10.14740/jocmr2307w
- DOI: Y. Zhang, V. A. Yeager, S. Hou, "The impact of community-based supports and services on quality of life among the elderly in China: A longitudinal study." Journal of Applied Gerontology, Vol. 35, No. 8, 073346481666194, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1177/0733464816661945 https://doi.org/10.1177/0733464816661945
- DOI: J. Kim, Y. Choi, S. Park, K. H. Cho, Y. J. Ju, E. C. Park, "The impact of living arrangements on quality of life among Korean elderly: findings from the Korean Longitudinal Study of Aging (2006-2012)." Quality of Life Research, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp.1303-1314, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-016-1448-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-016-1448-6
- H. H. König, D. Heider, T. Lehnert, S. G. Riedel-Heller, M. C. Angermeyer, H. Matschinger, H. G. Vilagut, R. Bruffaerts, J. M. Haro, G. de Girolamo, R. de Graaf, V. Kovess, J. Alonso, "Health status of the advanced elderly in six European countries: results from a representative survey using EQ-5D and SF-12." Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp.143, 2010.
- DOI: L. Baladon, M. Rubio-Valera, A. Serrano-Blanco, D. J. Palao, A. Fernandez, "Gender differences in the impact of mental disorders and chronic physical conditions on health-related quality of life among non-demented primary care elderly patients." Quality of Life Research, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp.1461-1474, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-015-1182-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-015-1182-5
- DOI: K. O. Cho, "The positive effect of physical activity on health and health-related quality of life in elderly Korean people-evidence from the Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp.86-94, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15280/jlm.2014.4.2.86 https://doi.org/10.15280/jlm.2014.4.2.86
- H. S. Nam, K. Y. Kim, S. S. Kwon, K. W. Koh, K. Poul, "EQ-5D Korean valuation study using time trade of method." Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2007.
- DOI: C. Han, S. A. Jo, J. Kwak, C. Pae, D. Steffens, I. Jo, M. H. Park, "Validation of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 Korean version in the elderly population: the Ansan Geriatric study." Comprehensive Psychiatry, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp.218-223, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2007.08.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2007.08.006
- DOI: H. Lee, "The impact of social activity on life satisfaction and depression of community-dwelling elderly comparing living arrangement." Journal of Community Welfare, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 269-290, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15300/jcw.2014.48.1.269 https://doi.org/10.15300/jcw.2014.48.1.269
- DOI: X. Sun, H. Lucas, Q. Meng, Y. Zhang, "Associations between living arrangements and health-related quality of life of urban elderly people: a study from China." Quality of life research, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.359-369, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-010-9752-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-010-9752-z
- C. S. Kim, I. K. Kim, "Patterns of intergenerational support exchange and the life satisfaction of the elderly parents in Korea." Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.155-168, 2000.
- M. A. Jeon, J. H. Yi, "The relationship of subjective well-being and the exchange of social support in the elderl." Korean Psychology Association Conference, pp.154-155, 2005.
- S. J. Ban, H. J. Lim, Y. J. Cho, J. Lee, "The impact of the level of education as a result of educational investment on a quality of life-mediating effects of an employment, a health, and a social relation-." The Journal of Economics and Finance of Education, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.111-131, 2015.
- DOI: D. J. Trevisol, L. B. Moreira, A. Kerkhoff, S. C. Fuchs, F. D. Fuchs, "Health-related quality of life and hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies." Journal of Hypertension, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp.179-88, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/hjh.0b013e328340d76f https://doi.org/10.1097/hjh.0b013e328340d76f
- DOI: J. Klavestrand, E. Vingard, "The relationship between physical activity and health-related quality of life: a systematic review of current evidence." Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.300-312, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01113.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01113.x
- DOI: H. So, H. Kim, K. Ju, "Prediction model of quality of life in elderly based on ICF model." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp.481-490, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.481 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.481
- DOI: N. Ibrahim, N. C. Din, M. Ahmad, S. E. Ghazali, Z. Said, S. Shahar, A. R. Ghazali, R. Razali, "Relationships between social support and depression, and quality of life of the elderly in a rural community in Malaysia." Asia‐Pacific Psychiatry, Vol. 5, No. S1, pp.59-66. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/appy.12068 https://doi.org/10.1111/appy.12068
- DOI: Y. Zhu, Q. Wang, G. Pang, L. Lin, H. Origasa, Y. Wang, J. Di, M. Shi, C. Fan, H. Shi, "Association between body mass index and health-related quality of life: The" Obesity Paradox" in 21,218 adults of the Chinese general population." PLoS One, Vol. 10, No. 6, e0130613, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0130613 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0130613
- DOI: K. H. Chae, C. W. Won, H. Choi, B. S. Kim, "Obesity indices and obesity-related quality of life in adults 65 years and older." Korean Journal of Family Medicine, Vol. 31, No. 7, pp.540-546, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.7.540 https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.7.540
- DOI: L. L. Yan, M. L. Daviglus, K. Liu, A. Pirzada, D. B. Garside, L. Schiffer, A. R. Dyer, P. Greenland, "BMI and health‐related quality of life in adults 65 years and older." Obesity Research, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.69-76, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2004.10 https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2004.10
- DOI: F. G. Bottone, K, Hawkins, S. Musich, Y. Cheng, R. J. Ozminkowski, R. J. Migliori, C. S. Yeh, "The relationship between body mass index and quality of life in community-living older adults living in the United States." The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp.495-501, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-013-0022-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-013-0022-y
- S. N. Jeon, H. Song, "The relationship between EQ-5D and optimal sleep duration among community dwelling elderly." Korean Public Health Research, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp.13-22, 2017.
- DOI: A. M. Kwon, C. Shin, "Relation between health-related quality of life and sleep quality with adjustment for comorbidity among the Korean elderly: mixed-effects model with a 6-year follow-up study." Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp.271-279, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539516628638 https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539516628638
- Y. J. Yoon, "Drinking experience of elderly women." Master's thesis, pp.18-39, Seoul National University, 2012.
- H. J. Na, "A study on the role of leisure of the elderly for upgrading of the quality of life." Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 23, No. 4. pp.53-70, 2003.
- E. H. Kim, Y. C. Kwon, "Factors influencing quality of life of elders in urban regions." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp.225-235. 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.7.225
- T. Y. Lee, J. K. Kim, "Comparision of quality of life related with the level of activity and the grade of activity in the elderly residing among city, farming and fishing area." The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.402-411, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.2.402
- DOI: H. S. Song, "A study on the relationship among depression, walking and quality of life for the elderly - focusing on themoderation effects of walking." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp.515-525, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.515 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.515