- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors affecting perception of oral health prevention
구강건강 예방 인식에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Lee, Kyeong-Hee (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Shin han University) ;
- Jung, Eun-Seo (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Shin han University)
- Received : 2017.02.25
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
This study aims to understand the relationship between the awareness of oral health prevention and general characteristics by investigating the awareness of oral health prevention and to provide basic data to make oral health education guidelines for oral health prevention and the need for oral health prevention by analyzing factors that influence the awareness of oral health prevention. For about a month since December 2016, the data of 380 people aged 10 and over residing in Seoul and the Gyeonggi Province was gathered, and the following results have been obtained after excluding 19 people whose answers were insufficient. It was found that gender (female, p<0.05), age (50 years and over, p<0.05), educational background (high school diploma and university diploma or higher, p<0.05), average monthly income (KRW 3.0 million - 4.0 million, p<0.05), oral health importance (p<0.001), and awareness of the need for oral health prevention (p<0,001) among the selected independent variables had statistically significant effects on the awareness of oral health prevention. Considering the results above, I believe that it is important to develop oral health education programs, which reflect the characteristics of people in order to motivate them to perform prevention activities, rather than education programs about simply acquiring knowledge for prevention activities and to establish social conditions that can enable continued education, in order to increase the awareness of oral health prevention activities.
Oral health;Oral health importance;Oral health education;Prevention;Perception
Supported by : 신한대학교
- Kim HR, Kim DY, Moon DH, "Knowledge, cognition and practice on oral health care of the clients visiting dental clinic". J Dent Hyg Sci, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 647-654, 2012.
- Lee SM, Kim SK, Kang BW, "Adults'concern for oral health and subjective oral health symptoms". J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 871-880, 2011.
- Kim MJ, "Related factors to perception and practice for oral health among patients visiting dental clinics". Master's thesis, Inje University. 2010.
- Shin MS, Hwang MY, Kim SK, "Relationship of oral health awareness to oral health indexes among adults". J Dent Hyg Sci, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 607-616, 2012.
- Lee EJ, Park EH, "A study on self-perception of oral health, oral health behavior recognition and oral health practice of adult". J Korean Acad Oral Health, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 595-602, 2010.
- Jung UJ, Kim MY, "The oral health perception and its related factor by the patients in metropolitan area". J Dent Hyg Sci, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 213-218, 2007.
- Lim SH, Hwang JM, "Relationship of oral health management behavior to plaque index systems". J Dent Hyg Sci, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 159-165, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.2.159
- Kim YR, "Comparison of oral health index between adequate and inadequate dental care following preventive scaling". J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 661-667, 2016. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.661
- Kang SK, Bae HS, Lim SR, "Analysis of communication of dental hygienist in oral hygiene instruction during scaling". J Dent Hyg Sci Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 546-553, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.546
- Kushnir D, Zusman SP, Robinson PG, "Validation of a hebrew version of the oral health impact profile-14". J Public Health Dent Vol. 64, No. 2, pp. 71-75, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2004.tb02730.x
- Jang JE, "The relationship of periodontal health recognition and self oral hygiene behaviors of dental clinic inpatient". J Dent Hyg Sci, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 666-672, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.666
- Jang YJ, Kim NS, "Relationship of oral health behavior to subjective oral health status and the DMFT index in Korean adults". J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 499-509, 2011.
- So MH, Kim SS, Shin SB. "A study on usage status of oral hygiene devices in some area". J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 1107-1119, 2010.
- Ryu DY, Song KS, Bae SM, "A study on awareness and practice about the oral health of workers". J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 1071-1081, 2010.
- Rosen EB, Tomar SL, "Perceived oral health status and unmet dental needs among adults in Union county". J Fla Dent Association, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 16-19, 2008.
- Lee HO, Kim J, "Effects of elder' oral health beliefs and oral health behaviors on their quality of life". J Dent Hyg Sci, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 57-63, 2008.
- Lee HS, Kim CM, "Effects of oral health impact profile (OHIP) on depression and quality of life among community-dwelling Korean elderly persons". J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 338-346, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.338