- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Differences in Motivation and Usage according to Morphological evolution of SNS - Focusing on university students' use of Facebook and Instagram -
SNS의 형태적 진화에 따른 이용동기 및 사용행태 차이 - 대학생의 페이스북과 인스타그램 이용을 중심으로 -
- Shin, Hyun-Hee (Dept. of Communication, Sogang University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Ran (Samsung Economic Research Institute)
- Received : 2017.04.05
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
The purpose of this study is to analyze the similarities and differences between motivation and usage according to morphological differences between Facebook and Instagram. The formative differentiation of third-generation SNS such as intuitive image and limited network poses the necessity of recognizing individual service users as distinct groups in SNS research. Therefore, this study was conducted to analyze the differences of motivation and usage, according to the motivation of using Facebook and Instagram by 255 university students. As a result, 7 factors were found as motivation for SNS use, and there were therein motivational differences between Facebook and Instagram users. This study is expected to contribute to the prediction of user's attitude change according to the morphological evolution of SNS in the future, and to expand the application to such related fusion research as GUI design and corporate PR marketing.
Motivation of SNS;Usage of SNS;Facebook;Instagram;Morphological differences of SNS
- W. G. Kim, M. J. Choi, "The Effect of SNS Users' Use Motivations on Using SNS and Recognizing Characteristics of SNS Messages." Korean Journal of Communication & Information, Vo1. 60, pp. 150-171, 2012.
- M. McLuhan, Q. Fiore, "The Medium Is the Massage." New York: Random House, 1967.
- H. Y. Kim, J. H. Oh, "Current state and social meaning of SNS at domestic and abroad." KISDI Report, Vol. 24, No. 12, pp. 19-42, 2012.
- M. J. Choi, S. C. Yang, "Internet social media and journalism." Korean Press Foundation, 2009.
- Y. J Choi, S. S. Yu, "The Phenomenological study about the Use of Facebook for College students." The Korean Journal of Advertising, 2015, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 185-211, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14377/KJA.2015.8.31.185
- S. H. Yu, "Study on Usability of Posting Methods of SNS Applications." Journal of Communication Design, Vol. 45, pp. 107-120. 2013.
- "Use status and main issue of SNS at domestic." Internet & Security Focus, pp. 56-76, 2014.
- Y. K. Cho, "The Effect of Self-Disclosure on the Intention to Use of SNS in the Digital Convergence Environment." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 139-150, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.139
- "Social Network Ad Spending to Hit $23.68 Billion Worldwide in 2015." eMarketer, 2015.
- S. S. Kim, Tony D. Ahn, "The Moderating Effect of Characteristics of Message and SNS on the Relationship between the Direction of WOM and Consumer Attitude." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 177-186, 2016.
- Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media
- K. J. Park, S. J Park, H. Y. Jang, "Study on the Use of SNS(Social Network Service) for Tasks: Focus on the Task-Media Fit." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 577-586, 2014.
- Richter, A., Koch, M., "Functions of Social Networking Services." researchgate.net, 2008.
- Boyd, D. M., Ellison, N. B., "Social Network Sites: Definition, History, and Scholarship." Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vo1. 13, No. 1, pp. 210-230, 2007.
- Lampe, C., Ellison, N., Steinfield, C., "A Facebook in the crowd; Social searching vs. social browsing." In Proceedings of the 2006 20th anniversary conference on Computer supported cooperative work, pp. 167-170, 2006.
- H. J. Shim, Y. S. Hwang, "The Relationship between Micro-blogging Service and Social Capital among the Early Adopters of Twitter." Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 327-347, 2010.
- IBL Liu, CMK Cheung, MKO Lee, "Understanding Twitter Usage: What Drive People Continue to Tweet." Paper Presented at the PACIS 2010 Proceedings, 2013.
- S. Y. Hong, J. C. Oh, "Comparative analysis on Social Network Service users access : Based on Twitter, Facebook, KakaoStory." Journal of Internet Computing and Services, Vol. 13, pp. 9-16, 2012.
- P. Sheldon, K. Bryant, "Instagram: Motives for its use and relationship to narcissism and contextual age." Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 58, pp. 89-97, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.12.059
- W. G. Kim, M. J. Choi, "The Effect of SNS Users' Use Motivations on Using SNS and Recognizing Characteristics of SNS Messages." Korean Journal of Communication & Information, Vol. 60, pp. 150-171, 2012.
- J. M. Yoon, J. S. Yim, "The Market Positioning Analysis of Social Network Services." Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 416-457, 2012.
- J. Y. Lee, P. S. Jang, "Effects of Message Polarity and Type on Word of Mouth through SNS." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 129-135, 2013.
- J. H. Ahn, S. I. Kim, "Comparison the Difference of User Experience for Mobile Facebook and Instagram Using Nonparametric Statistics Methods." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 12, pp. 481-488, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.481
- S. A. Choi, M. H. Hong, "Research for the satisfaction of social network service: Functional elements of Instagram and Facebook." Catoon & Animation Studies, Vol. 40, pp. 423-442, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7230/KOSCAS.2015.40.423
- "SNS usage in domestic.", Appraker, Korea, September, 2015. http://www.mobiinside.com.
- Brandtzag, P. B., Heim, J., "Why People Use Social Networking Sites, In Ozok A. A., Zaphiris P. eds." Online Communities and Social Computing, Berlin: Springer, pp. 143-152, 2009.
- Park, N., Kee. K. F., Valenzulea, S., "Being Immersed in Social Networking Environment." Cyber Psychology & Behavior, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 729-733, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2009.0003
- Ko, H., Cho, C. H., Roberts, M. S., "Internet Uses and Gratification." Journal of Advertising, Vol. 34, No.2, pp. 57-70, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2005.10639191
- S. B. Lee, N. I. Kim, "The Effect of Public Lifestyle on Motivation and Behavior Using Social Media." The Korean Journal of Advertising and Public Relations, Vo1. 13, No. 2, pp. 306-341, 2011.
- E. S. Oh, M. S. Kim, "A Study on General Sharing Behaviors in SNS." Journal of Digital Design, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 191-198, 2015.
- Gabarino, E., Johnson, M. S., "The Differenct Roles of Satisfaction, Trust, and Commitment on Consumer Relationship." Journal of Marketing, Vol. 63, pp. 70-87, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251946
- Bendapudi, N., Berry, L., "Customers' motivations for maintaining relationship with service providers." Journal of Retailing, Vol 73, No 1, pp. 15-37, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(97)90013-0
- J. Chang, "Convergence of Education and Information & Communication Technology." Korea Convergence Society, Vol 6, No 3, pp. 79-83. 2016.