- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Assessment of children's rights by children and adolescents -Comparison of elementary, middle and high school students-
아동·청소년의 아동권리인식 -초등학생, 중학생, 고등학생 비교-
- Kim, Jin Sook (Division of Social Welfare, Hanyang Cyber University) ;
- Jang, Yeon Jin (Division of Social Welfare, Hanyang Cyber University)
- Received : 2017.04.18
- Accepted : 2017.06.20
- Published : 2017.06.28
This study aims to explore how to improve students' rights based on their age and development stages. To this end, we analyzed a survey that had been carried out with 1,065 students from elementary, middle and high schools in 2 most populated counties in Korea, focusing on the differences in their perception with regard to the right to survive, develop, be protected and participate. The result of the analysis showed that high school students' sense of rights was at the lowest in general, while being particularly low in their sense of participation rights. However, when it comes to the development rights and protection rights, the level of recognition of middle school students were as low as those of high school students. Based on the results, we suggested that a proactive effort to guarantee adolescents' participation rights is required, and that education of human rights should be emphasized not only for children but also for their supporters. In the follow-up study, it is required to investigate the differences between development stages and regions by including participants with diverse ages and residential areas.
Survival Rights;Development Rights;Protection Rights;Participation Rights;Children's Rights
- H. J. Kim, "A Study on the Inhibiting Factors of Case Management in Child Welfare Facilities", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8. No. 2, pp. 183-196, 2017.
- J. S. Hwang, J. Y. Lim, S. Y. "Exploratry Study on Child Abuse Reduction Plan through the Big Data Convergence Analysis". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No 10, pp. 98-105, 2016.
- E. J. Lee, "Roles of Childcare Teachers toward Child Abuse Prevention". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No 8, pp. 81-91, 2016.
- H. J. Kim, M. S. Yang, "A Study on the Social Support, Ego-resiliency and Stress Coping Strategies of School-Dropout Adolescents". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No 1, pp. 23-34, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.23
- S. K. Park, "Children's Rights and Child Friendly Cities in Selected European Countries." Health and welfare policy forum, pp. 62-72, 2016.
- M. Liebel, "Children's Rights from Below: Cross-Cultural Perspectives". Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Y. J. Choi, "New Millenium and Tasks for Adolescence Rights and Interests Promotion ,National Youth Development Institute, 1999.
- Ladsdown, The Evolving Capacities of the Child, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, Florence, Italy, 2005.
- W. S. Kim, "A Study on Children's Rights and Happiness for Building Child Friendly Cities-Comparative study between elementary and middle school students". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No 2, pp. 485-491, 2017.
- T. W. Simon, "United Nations Convention on Wrongs to the Child" International Journal of Children's Rights, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp.1-13, 2000.
- H. Rodham, "Children under the Law". Harvard Educational Review, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp.487-514, 1973. https://doi.org/10.17763/haer.43.4.e14676283875773k
- Wailer, Brooks, Wrightsman, "Children's Rights in the United States: In Search of a National Policy". Sage Publication, 1999.
- H. J. Shin, M. K. Oh, "Phenomenological Study of Child Rights: Based on Children's Voices". Asian Journal of Child Welfare and Development, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 71-87, 2009.
- Y. J. Kim, "The Study on Children's Rights: Infants, School Age, and Adolescence". Master's thesis, Sookmyung Womens' University, 1998.
- Good Neighbors, "Children's Rights in Korean: Present Status and Challenges". Children's rights issue focus, Vol. 6, 2016.
- Y. B. Cho, S. H. Lee, J. H. Park, M. H. Park, "KMMQL-AF-based Evaluation of the Quality of Life for Survivors of Childhood Cancer by Age," Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 71-77, 2016.
- BigKinds(News Big Data & Ananlysis) website: http://www.bigkinds.or.kr/search/totalSearchMain.do
- J. K. Jung, "Acceptance of CRC on the Domestic Law and Practice Arena in Korea's Child Welfare Experiences". Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.219-244, 2010.
- K. N. Bae, "The History of Adolescents' Rights: Education Resources for Adolescents Right Activists". GuyngGi-Do: PyungTaek Youth Community Center, 2005.
- Gi-hyeon, Kim, "Trend Analysis on the Issue of Children's Rights." the Korean Journal of Child Education, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp.109-129, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17643/KJCE.2016.25.4.07
- Yoon-Na, Kim, "A Study on the Youth Protection and Participation Rights on Age Categories Analysis of Differences in Perception". Journal of Human Rights & Law-related Education, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 45-69, 2013.
- So-Youn Park, So-Nam Yang, "Factors Associated with Internet Use Time among Adolescents: Focused on Convergent Implications". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 387-395, 2015.
- Y. J. Choi, "Children's Rights and Youth Rights". Korean journal of youth studies, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 277-300, 2000.
- S. A. Kwon, Y. M. Jang, "Theoretical study to utility of concept mapping for expected outcome draw of multi-organizations network: Focusing on integrated case management activities of community social welfare organizations," Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 7-11, 2015
- H. Y. Kim, "Children and Youth' Political Participation and the Civic Education in the Area of Schools". Dankook Law Review, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 119-158, 2016.
- H. J. Cho, "Rights Odyssey". GyoYangIn, 2015.
- Kyong-ok Oh, Moon-hee Gang, Myong-sook Kim, "Factors Influencing Self-Confidence in the Teacher's Role on Adolescent Suicide". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 321-328, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.321
- Soon-Man, Song, Jina Paik, "The Effects of Parents' Neglect in Adolescents' School Adjustment: Focusing in the Mediating Effects of Self-Identity and Life Satisfaction". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 327-337, 2016.
- M. S. Oh, "A study on Convergence School Adjustment and Parameter Validation of the Sense of Community", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 183-188, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.183