- Volume 12 Issue 2
The Effect of Role Model and Entrepreneurship Education on Entrepreneurial Intention of Korean Juvenile
창업역할모델과 기업가정신교육이 한국 청소년들의 기업가정신에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Yang, Jun-Hwan (Global Entrepreneur and Start-up Center, Dankook University)
- 양준환 (단국대학교)
- Received : 2017.02.17
- Accepted : 2017.04.27
- Published : 2017.04.30
Preparing juvenile for future careers in global market becomes one of the most important tasks in education today. This study attests the impact of role model and entrepreneurship education on entrepreneurial intention of Korean secondary school students. Total 217 students participated in this research from 11 different high schools across the country. The result suggests that the role model and entrepreneurship education have significant relationships with entrepreneurship as well as entrepreneurial intention of secondary school students. Entrepreneurship was also positively related with entrepreneurial intention of students. The findings imply that both the role model and entrepreneurship education are crucial elements to foster entrepreneurship as well as entrepreneurial intention of the secondary school students. Practical implications were presented to relevant authorities for takeaway in designing effective pedagogy.
Supported by : Dankook University
- Ajzen, I.(1991), The theory of planned behavior, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Baumol, W. J.(1993), Entrepreneurship, management, and the structure of payoffs, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Baron, R. A. & Ensley, M. D.(2005), Opportunity recognition as the detection of meaningful detections: Evidence from comparisons of novice and experienced entrepreneurs, Management Science, 52(9), 1331-1344. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0538
- Bell-Rose, S., & Payzant, T. W.(2008), The Case for Entrepreneurship Education, Education Week.
- Belsley, D. A.(1991). Conditioning diagnostics: Collinearity and weak data in regression(1st ed.), New York: Wiley-Interscience.
- Bird, B. J.(1989), Entrepreneurial Behavior, Scott Foresman, Glenview, IL.
- Bucher, R. & Stelling, J. G.(1977), Becoming professional, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Casson, M.(1982), The entrepreneur, Totowa, NJ: Barnes and Noble Books.
- Cheung, C. K.(2008), Entrepreneurship education in Hong Kong's secondary curriculum: Possibilities and limitations, Education+Training, 50(6), 500-515. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400910810901827
- Douglas, E & Shepherd, D.(2001), Self-employment as a career choice: Attitudes, entrepreneurial intentions, and utility maximization, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 26(3), 81-90.
- Drucker, P. F.(1985), Innovation and entrepreneurship practices and principles, AMACON.
- Dyer, W.(1994), Toward a theory of entrepreneurial careers. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 19(2), 7-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879501900202
- Ferreira, J., Paco, A., Raposo, M., & Rodrigues, R.(2007), Entrepreneurship education and business creation propensity: testing a structural model, Proceedings of IntEnt.
- Filion, L. J.(1994). Ten steps to entrepreneurial teaching, Journal of small business and entrepreneurship, 11(3), 68-78. https://doi.org/10.1080/08276331.1994.10600466
- Gartner, W. B. & Vesper K. H.(1994). Experiments in entrepreneurship education: Success and failures, Journal of business venturing, 9(3), 179-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(94)90028-0
- Gasse, Y.(1985). A strategy for the promotion and identification of potential at the secondary school level, Paper presented at the Frontiers of entrepreneurship research, Babson College, Wellesley, M A.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin B. J. & Anderson R. E. (2010). Multivariate data analysis (7th ed.), New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Hamidi, D., Wennberg, K. & Berglund, H.(2008), Creativity in entrepreneurship education, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 15(2), 304-20. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626000810871691
- Hayward, G. & Sundes, O.(2000), New wine in old bottles- Entrepreneurship education in Scottish universities, in Natale, S., Libertella, A.F. and Hayward, G. (Eds), On the Threshold of the Millennium - Business Education and Training: A Value-Laden Process, University Press of America, Lanham, MD, 112-34.
- Holton, G.(2004), Robert K. Merton: Biographical memoirs, Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, 148, 506-517.
- Honig, B.(2004), Entrepreneurship education: toward a model of contingency-based business planning, Academy of Management Learning and Education, 3(3), 258-73. https://doi.org/10.5465/amle.2004.14242112
- Ibarra, H.(1999), Provisional selves: Experimenting with image and identity in professional adaptation. Administrative Science Quarterly, 44, 764-791. https://doi.org/10.2307/2667055
- Jones, C. & English, J.(2004), A contemporary approach to entrepreneurship education, Education+training, 46(8/9), 416-423.
- Kim, J. & Park, J.(2009), The status of entrepreneurship education in Korea, In ICSB World Conference Proceedings(p. 1), International Council for Small business (ICSB).
- Kirby, D. A.(2004). Entrepreneurship education: can business schools meet the challenge? Education+training, 46(8/9), 510-519.
- Koh, H. C.(1996), Testing hypotheses of entrepreneurial characteristics- a study of Hong Kong MBA students, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 11(3), 12-25. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683949610113566
- Kourilsky, M.(1995), Entrepreneurship education: opportunity in search of curriculum, Business Education Forum, October, 11-15.
- Kuratko, D.(2009), Introduction to Entrepreneurship, SOUTHWESTERN, CENGAGE Learning.
- Krueger, N., Reilly, M. & Carsrud, A.(2000), Competing models of entrepreneurial intentions, Journal of Business Venturing, 15, 411-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(98)00033-0
- Louw, L., Van Eeden, S. M., Bosch, J. K. & Venter, D. J. L.(2003), Entrepreneurial traits of undergraduate students at selected South African tertiary institutions, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 9(1), 5-26. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552550310461027
- McCullough, C. M.(2013), Do role models matter?: exploring the correlates of motivational and imitative role modeling by professionals, Doctoral dissertation, University of Missouri-Columbia.
- Mitton, D. G.(1989), The complete entrepreneur, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 13(3), 9-19. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225878901300303
- Mohan-Neill, S.(2001), The perceived needs, benefits and potential target markets for entrepreneurial education, in Brockhaus, R.H., Hills, G.E., Klandt, H. and Welsch, H.P. (Eds), Entrepreneurship Education: A Global View, Ashgate Publishing, Aldershot.
- Nunnally, J. C. & Bernstein, I. H.(1994), Psychometric Theory(3rd. ed.), New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co.
- Peterman, N. E. & Kennedy, J.(2003). Enterprise education: Influencing students' perceptions of entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 28(2), 129-144. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1540-6520.2003.00035.x
- Rae, D. M.(1997), Teaching entrepreneurship in Asia: impact of a pedagogical innovation, Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Change, 6(3), 193-227.
- Ronstadt, R.(1985). Entrepreneurship: Text, cases and notes. Lord Publication.
- Scherer, R., Adams, J. & Wiebe, F.(1989a), Developing entrepreneurial behaviors: a social learning theory perspective. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 2(3), 16-28. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000001186
- Scherer, R. F., Adams, J. S., Carley, S. S. & Wiebe, F. A. (1989b), Role model performance effects on development of entrepreneurial career preference, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 13(3), 53-71. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225878901300306
- Scott, M. & Twomey, D.(1988), Long-term supply of entrepreneurs: student career aspirations in relation to entrepreneurship, Journal of Small Business Management, 26(4), 5-13.
- Shane, S. & Venkataraman, S.(2000), The promise of entrepreneurship as a field of research, Academy of Management Review, 25(1), 217-226. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2000.2791611
- Shapero, A.(1975), The displaced, uncomfortable entrepreneur, Psychology Today, 9, 83-88.
- Shapero, A. & Sokol, L.(1982), The social dimensions of entrepreneurship, in Kent, C.A., Sexton, D.L. and Vesper, K.L. (Eds), Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurship, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 72-90.
- Steele, M. M., Fisman, S. & Davidson, B.(2013), Mentoring and role models in recruitment and retention: a study of junior medical faculty perceptions. Medical teacher, 35(5), e1130-e1138. https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2012.735382
- Van Auken, H., Fry, F. L. & Stephens, P.(2006), The influence of role models on entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of developmental Entrepreneurship, 11(02), 157-167. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1084946706000349
- Van Gelderen, M., Brand, M., van Praag, M., Bodewes, W., Poutsma, E. & Van Gils, A.(2008), Explaining entrepreneurial intentions by means of the theory of planned behaviour, Career Development International, 13(6), 538-559. https://doi.org/10.1108/13620430810901688
- Van Praag, C. M. & Versloot, P. H.(2007), What is the value of entrepreneurship- A review of recent research, Small Business Economics, 29(4), 351-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-007-9074-x
- Waldmann, E.(1997), A preliminary investigation into entrepreneurial/small business attitudes among students in rural New South Wales: educational and employment implications, Curriculum Perspectives, 17, 21-27.
- Yang, J. H.(2014), Effect of entrepreneurial education on entrepreneurial intention of university students, Asia Pacific Journal of Business Venturing and Entrepreneurship, 9(6), 65-77.