- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on The Performance Verification and Economic Evaluation of ESS for Frequency Regulation Application
주파수조정용 ESS의 성능검증 및 경제성평가 알고리즘에 관한 연구
- Lee, Ju-Gang (Division of Electrical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Choi, Sung-Sik (Division of Electrical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Kang, Min-Kwan (Division of Electrical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Rho, Dae-Seok (Division of Electrical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2017.02.03
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
Recently, the installation of energy storage systems (ESSs) has increased in parallel with the extension of renewable energy resources. However, there has been no concrete analysis ofthe performance verification and economic evaluation of ESSs,which makes it difficult to perform aneffective installation and operation of an ESS. In particular, there are no international technical standards and guidelines on electric ESS for frequency regulation applications. Therefore, acomprehensive study on the power quality, impact on grid, extent of contribution, and cost benefit study of ESS are strongly being required. Under these backgrounds, this paper proposes a performance verification algorithm on ESS for frequency regulation application based on ananalysis of the AGC(Automatic Generation Control) performance verification method of PJM in USA. In addition,this paper proposes an economic evaluation algorithm on a 500 MW installation of ESS for frequency regulation applications using the account settlement of an expensive gas-fired generation plant and coal-fired power generation plant. From the simulation with real ESS operation data and 500 MW installation case, it wasconfirmed that the ESS showssuperior performance toany other conventional generators and provides anannual benefit of 500 MW ESS are between 345~429 billon won.
Automatic Generation Control;Energy Storage System;Economic Evaluation;Frequency Regulation;Governor Free Operation;Performance Verification
- Eung-Sang Kim, "Energy storage system (ESS) and domestic and international ESS policy", Korea Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation engineers, pp. 12-25, Nov. 2015.
- EPRI, "Integrating Smart Distributed Energy Resources with Distribution Management Systems," EPRI, Sep. 2012.
- Korea Power Exchange(KPX), Electricity Market Operation Council, https://www.kpx.info/eBiz/, 2016.
- Korea Power Exchange(KPX), Ancillary Service(AS) Detailed Operation Council, 2016.
- PJM Manual 12 Balancing Operations ('2013, Revision 30).
- PNNL-22010 ('2012, Protocol for Uniformly Measuring and Expressing the Performance of Energy Storage Systems).
- KEPCO Economy & Management Research Institute (KEMRI), "Development of business model and economical evaluation for utilization of medium and large ESS of electric power company", 2014.
- Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute (KERI), "A Study on the Improvement of Grid Auxiliary Service for Efficiency of Power Market", 2007.
- Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute (KERI), Demand Management Project Evaluation Report.
- Han Na Gwon, Ho Yeon So, Kyung Soo Kook, Sung Han Wie, Woon Tae Sohn, "An Analysis on AGC Performance Index of Generators for the Application on Korean Power System", The Korean Institute of Power Electronics, pp. 38-40, Nov. 2014.
- Sung-Sik Choi, Jae-Beom Park, Byung-Ki Kim, Ju-Kwang Lee, In-Cheol Lee, Dae-Seok Rho, "The Study on the Performance Evaluation Method of Energy Storage System for Frequency Regulation", Journal of KAIS, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 27-29, May 2015.
- Ju-Kwang Lee, Sung-Sik Choi, Jae-Beom Park, Soo-Young Park, Dae-Seok Rho, "The Study on the AGC Performance Evaluation Method of Energy Storage System for Frequency Regulation", Journal of KAIS, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 27-29, Dec. 2015.
- Ju-Kwang Lee, Yu-Rim Kim, Myung-Hoon Lee, Mi-Sung Kim, Eung-Sang Kim, Dae-Seok Rho, "A Study on the Economic Evaluation of ESS for Frequency Regulation Application", The Korean Institute of Power Electronics, pp. 270-272, Nov. 2016.