- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Display Fatigue induced by HMD-based Virtual Reality Bicycle
HMD 기반 가상현실 자전거의 영상피로 분석
- Kim, Sun-Uk (Department of Industrial Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Han, Seung Jo (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Koo, Kyo-Chan (Department of Industrial Engineering, Dankook University)
- Received : 2017.01.31
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
The purpose of this study is to investigate the display fatigue quantitatively when operating 2D and HMD-based 3D VR bicycles. Though it is generally accepted that the display fatigue induced by 3D VR is greater than that induced by 2D VR, there have been few studies which attempted to measure the display fatigue scientifically. The subjective degree of cybersickness and quantitative flicker fusion frequency (FFF) were measured in twenty subjects (Male 10, Female 10) before and after they operated 2D and 3D VR bicycles for 5 min. Two dependent variables affected by the 2D and 3D VR displays were analyzed and compared statistically based on scientific evidence and research. This study showed that 3D VR resulted in a significantly higher cybersickness rate and a significant lower FFF rate than 2D VR. Given the current propensity to couple VR techniques with exercise equipment, it seems appropriate to verify the general beliefs through scientific methods and experimental measures such as the FFF and cybersickness questionnaires.
Cybersickness;Display fatigue;Flicker fusion frequency;HMD;Virtual reality
Grant : 실감형 VR MTB 게임 및 연동 5D 시뮬레이터 개발
Supported by : 정보통신기술진흥센터
- Lee, Y., "Problem of Definition on Mixed Reality and Its Alternative, and Relationship of Virtual/Augmented Reality", Journal of Korea Design Knowledge, vol. 34, pp. 193-202, 2015.
- Kim, M., Kang, J., and Jun, M. S., "Market and Technical Trends of VR Technologies", Korea Journal of Contents, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 14-16. 2016.
- Park, S. I., Whang, M. C., and Kim, J. W., "Autonomic nervous systems response to affected by 3D visual fatigue evoked during watching 3D TV", Korea Society for Emotion and Sensitivity, vol. 14, no. 4. pp. 653-662, 2001.
- Han, S., "Quantitative analysis of display fatigue induced by 2D, 3D videos", The journal of digital convergence, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 329-335, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.329 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.329
- Kim, S., and Han, S., "The relationship between visual stress and MBTI personality types", The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 4036-4044, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.9.4036 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.9.4036
- Kang, H., Jang, Y., Kim, U., and Hong, H., "Study of the change of the fatigue and the visual function before and after viewing 2D and 3D movies", Korean Journal of Vision Science, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 121-133, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2016.18.2.121 https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2016.18.2.121
- Kim, J., Son, J., Park, S., and Kwon, S., "Clinical consideration of visual fatigue on 3D images", The Journal of the Korean Institute of Communication Sciences, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 990-999, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2013.38C.11.990 https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2013.38C.11.990
- Park, K. S., Choi, J. A., Kim, J. T., and Kim, S. S., "Relationship between scene movements and cybersickness", Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1-7, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2005.24.1.001 https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2005.24.1.001
- Corr, P. J., and Kumari, V., "Sociability/Impulsivity and attenuated dopaminergic arousal: Critical flicker/fusion frequency and procedural learning", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 805-815, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(96)00279-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(96)00279-6
- Corr, P. J., Pickering, A. D., and Gary, J. A., "Socialility/Impulsivity and caffeine-induced arousal: Critical flicker/fusion frequency and procedural learning", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 713-730, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(95)00001-M https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(95)00001-M
- Lee, H., Jang, M., and Mah, K., "The visual effect resulting from visual reality", Korean Journal of Vision Science, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 153-162, 2010.
- Han, S., and Kim S., "The analysis of low back loading and muscle fatigue while lifting an asymmetric load", Journal of Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 30-36, 2012.
- Kim, T. G., Bae, S. H., and Kim, K. Y., "The effect of muscle activity on muscle architectural of medial gastrocnemius in chronic stroke patient based on ankle joint degree", The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 3991-3998, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.9.3991 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.9.3991
- Kwon, S., and Bang, E., "Study on 3D pictures and human facts: Comparison of 2D and 3D receptions by measuring brainwaves", 2012 Proceedings of Human-Computer Interaction Korea, pp. 943-947, 2012.
- Jang, H. J., and Noh, K. Y., "An experimental study of stereoscopic image and fatigue effect for 3D video game: linking cerebral physiologic measure", Journal of Korea Game Society, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 5-18, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7583/JKGS.2013.13.3.5 https://doi.org/10.7583/JKGS.2013.13.3.5
- Lee, J., and Park, D., "Differential effects of 2D and 3D motion pictures on physical fatigue, recognition and arousal", Korean Society for Emotion and Sensitivity, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 621-634, 2010.
- Lawton, C. A., Charleston, S. L., and Zieles, A. S., "Individual and gender related differences in indoor wayfindings", Environment and Behavior, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 204-219, 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916596282003 https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916596282003
- O'Laughlin, E. M., and Brubaker, B. S., "Use of landmarks in cognitive mapping: gender differences in self report versus performance", Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 595-601, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(97)00237-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(97)00237-7
- Yoon, J. H., Lee, I., Kim, T., and Kim J., "Visual fatigue in watching 3 dimension television", J. Korean Oph. Opt. Soc., vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 47-52, 2012.
- Wickens, C. D., Lee, J. D., Lie, Y., and Becher, S. E. G., An introduction to human factors engineering (2nd ed), pp. 367-378, Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Kim, J. I., "Research on the necessity of revision of product liability act", MS thesis, Kyunghee University, 2015.
- Kham, K., "The effect of individual differences on visual discomfort in watching 3D contents", The Korean Journal of Cognitive and Biological Psychology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 213-220, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22172/cogbio.2016.28.1.011 https://doi.org/10.22172/cogbio.2016.28.1.011