- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Life Stress, Ego-Resilience, and Spiritual Well-Being on Adaptation to University Life in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 생활스트레스, 자아탄력성 및 영적안녕이 대학생활 적응에 미치는 영향
- Son, Hye Gyeong (College of Nursing, Kosin University) ;
- Kwon, Suhye (College of Nursing, Kosin University) ;
- Park, Hyun-Joo (Dept. of Nursing, Busan Women's College)
- Received : 2017.03.16
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study examined the factors influencingthe adaptation to university life of nursing students. Data were collected from 235 nursing students in three nursing schools in B and C city from November 15 to December 10, 2016, and analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and stepwise multiple regression. Correlations were found between adaptation to university life and life stress (r=-0.657, p<0.001) and between ego-resilience (r=0.455, p<0.001) and spiritual well-being (
Adaptation to University Life;Ego-Resilience;Life Stress;Nursing Students;Spiritual Well-Being
- K. S. Han, G. M. Kim, Comparison to Self Esteem, Family Adaptation, Health Promoting Behaviors, and Symptoms of Stress between Nursing and Other Major University Women Student, Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 78-84, 2007.
- J. H. Ha, H. I. Jo, The Relationships among Perfectionism, Stress, the Ways of Stress Coping, Self-Efficacy, College Adjustment, The Korea Journal of Counseling, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 595-611, 2006.
- H. J. Choi, E. J. Lee, Mediation Effects of Self-Efficacy between Academic Stress and College Adjustment in First Year Nursing Students, The Korean Journal fundamentals of nursing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 261-268, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.261 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.261
- Statistics Korea, Korean Social Trends 2013 of Korea Home page, http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/index.action, 2013.
- H. J. Park, I. S. Jang, Stress, Depression, Coping Styles and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Nursing Students, The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 14-23, 2010. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- Lazaurs & Folkman, If it changes it must be a process: study of emotion and coping during three stages of a college examination, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 47, pp. 150-170, 1985. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- E. A. Kim, K. S. Jang, Developing a Prediction Model regarding Adjustment of Nursing Students to College Life, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 312-322, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.312 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.312
- S. J. Whang, The Relationship between Clinical Stress, Self-Efficacy, and Self-Esteem of Nursing College Students, The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 205-213, 2006.
- D. W. Hahn, K. K. Chon, J. K. Tak, C. H. Lee, K. H. Lee, A Study on Life Maladjustment of College Students: Based on Anxiety, Edpress and Somatization, Proceedings of the 1992 Annual Conference of Korean Psychological association, vol. 1, pp. 447-462, 1992.
- Magnussen & Amundson, Undergraduate nursing student experience. Nursing and Health Science, vol. 5, pp. 261-267, 2003. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-2018.2003.00158.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-2018.2003.00158.x
- K. O. Hong, H. W. Kang, The relationship between college students' attachment to parents and interpersonal relations ability, Journal of College Education, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 69-81, 2009.
- Block, J., Block, J. H, The role of ego-control and ego-resiliency in the organization of behavior. In W. A. Collins, Minnesota Symposia on Child Psychology, vol. 13, 39-101, 1980.
- Y. J. Lee, H. Y. Min, Y. M. Lee, The relationships between ego-resilience, adult attachment types, and college adjustment, Asian Journal of Education, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 125-144, 2004.
- S. Y. Yun, S. H. Min, Influence of Ego-resilience and Spiritual well-being on College adjustment in major of Nursing Student, Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12 no. 12, pp. 395-403, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2014.12.12.395 https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2014.12.12.395
- H. K. Yun, M. S. Choi, J. H. Lee, The structural relationship that self=elasticity of student in dental hygienic influences study satisfaction and life adaptation of college, Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 335-343, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2014.12.5.335 https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2014.12.5.335
- H. I. Lee, Correlation Between Spiritual Well-Being and Mental Health of Nursing Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 7-15, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.1.7 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.1.7
- Y. H. Lee, A Study of the Correlation Between Spiritual Well-Being and Spiritual Nursing Care of Nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Kongju National University, 2006.
- H. R. Hwang, K. H. Suh, J. Y. Kim, The Relationship between Spiritual Well-being and Psychological Well-being among University Students, The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 709-724, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2011.16.4.005 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2011.16.4.005
- J. A. Park, E. K. Lee, Influence of Ego-resilience and Stress Coping Styles on College Adaptation in Nursing Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 267-276, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.267 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.267
- J. W. Lee, Y. S. Eo, Effect of Clinical Stress and Stress Coping on College Adjustment in Nursing Student, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 125-134, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.2.125 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.2.125
- J. S. Han, Factors Affecting Nursing Students' Adjustment to College Life, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 4459-4466, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2015.16.7.4459 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2015.16.7.4459
- M. S. Ko, Ego-resilience and Emotional Intelligence, Stress Coping Strategies & Nursing Student's Adjustment to College, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 280-291, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2015.15.10.280 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2015.15.10.280
- N. Y. Lee, The Effects of Empathy and Life Stress on Stress Coping Strategy of Nursing Students, Unpublished master's thesis, Kongju National University, 2016.
- Block, J., & Kremen, A. M., IQ and ego-resiliency: Conceptual and empirical connections separateness, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70, pp. 649-361, 1996. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- S. K. Yoo, H. W. Shim, Psychological Protective Factors in Resilient Adolescents in Korea, Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 189-206, 2002.
- Palouzian. R. F. & Ellison, C. W., Loneliness, spiritual well-being and the quality of life. In L. A & Peplau LA & Perman D.(Eds), Loneliness: a Sourcebook of current theory, research and therapy, New Yourkl John Wiley & Son, pp. 224-236, 1982.
- J. H. Kang, A study on spiritual well-being of cancer patients, Unpublished master's thesis, Busan National University, 1996.
- Y. J. Lee, The Non-Residential Student's Adaptation to College Life and Career Plans, master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 1999.
- H. J. Kim, M. S. Yi, Factors Influencing Empathy in Nursing Students in Korea, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 237-245, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.237 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.237
- M. H. Sung, Spiritual Well-Being and Life Stress of Nursing Students, Korean Journal of health Promotion and disease prevention, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 222-229, 2009.
- G. H. Kim, G. D. Kim, Hye-Sun Hyun, The Study of Spiritual Well-Being and Stress Perceive in Nursing Students, Journal of Gimcheon College of Science, vol. 36, pp. 15-25, 2010.
- Y. S. Park, Y. H. Kwon, Ego Resilience, Problem Solving Process and Clinical Practice Competency in Nursing Students, The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 341-350, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.341 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.341
- E. J. Shin, Y. S. Park, Emotional Intelligence, Ego Resilience, Stress in Clinical Practice of Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 5636-5645, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2013.14.11.5636 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2013.14.11.5636
- H. O. Jeon, E. Y. Yeom, The Influence of Gender Role Conflicts, Academic Stress Coping Ability, and Social Support on Adaptations to College Life among Male Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 796-807, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.12.796 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.12.796
- K. H. Kim, Correlation of Stress-coping, Humor Sense, and Adaptation to College of Baccalaureate Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 301-313, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.03.301 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2014.14.03.301
- S. A. Ahn, K. S. Lee, Effects of Hardiness and Professional Self-concept on Student Adaptation to College in Nursing Students, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol 15, no. 4. pp. 2165-2178, 2013.
- K. O. Lee, H. J. Chae, The relationships between emotional intelligence and college adjustment and nursing professionalism in nursing students, Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 355-365, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2016.14.10.355 https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2016.14.10.355
- H. Y. Jung, The Convergence Influence of Life Stress, Depression and Ego Resiliency on College Life Adaptation in Nursing Students, Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 259-268, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2016.14.7.259 https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2016.14.7.259
- Y. S. Song, Effects of a Meditation Program on Stressful Life Events and the Quality of Life with Nursing Students, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 965-974, 2013.
- M. O. Chae, Ego resilience, Empathic Ability and Interpersonal relationship ability in Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 95-103, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2016.17.5.95 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2016.17.5.95
- Frankl, V. E., Man's Search for meaning : An Introduction to logotherapy, New York: Washington Spuare Press, 1959.
- W. J. Park, J. Y. Han, The Effect of Ego-resilience, Stress Coping Styles, Teaching, Effectiveness, and Family Support on Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Nursing Students by AMOS Structural Equation Model, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 365-375, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.365 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.365