- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Training and Employee Benefits Expense on Business Performance -Focused on KONEX Enterprises-
교육훈련비와 복리후생비가 기업의 경영성과에 미치는 영향 -KONEX 기업을 중심으로-
- Kim, Jeong-Woo (School of Economics, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Joo-Cheol (School of Economics, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.04.12
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
Since the KONEX market was launched in 2013, many studies of the market have focused on policy reports and management of the market. In this study, we analyzed the impact of training and employee benefits expenses on business performance in the KONEX market in comparison with firms in the KOSDAQ 100. The expenses associated with employee training and benefits can have an overlapping power when explaining the business performance. To determine the net effect of each variable on business performance, we used regression by successive orthogonalization. The training and the employee benefits expenses in both markets showed a positive effect on business performance. However, in the KONEX market, we found that the lag effect of training expense to business performance was relatively smaller than in the KOSDAQ 100. This difference may be related to problems such as short continuous service and frequent turnover of SMEs in Korea, and implies that overall human resource management should be implemented to increase the efficiency of training expenses.
KONEX;Panel Data;Regression by successive orthogonalization;SME;Training expense and employee benefits
- KRX, KONEX Monthly Market Brief, Korea Exchange, Dec. 2016, 2016.
- Y. S. Nam, "Financial Diversification of small / venture businesses and KONEX." The Korean Journal of Securities Law, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 153-194, 2013.
- Y. D. Kim, Tasks for successful introduction of the KONEX stock market, Korea Institute of Finance Weekly Finance Brief, vol. 21, no. 13, pp. 12-13, 2012.
- K. S. Kim, "A Study on the Revitalization of the KONEX in Korea", The Journal of Legal Studies, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 177-199, 2013.
- B. S. Kim, "Comparing Wage and Working Conditions by Business Size", Monthly Labor Review, vol. 119, pp. 43-59, 2015.
- R. G. Ehrenberg and R. S. Smith, Modern Labor Economics: Theory and Public Policy, pp. 65-78, Addison-Wesley series in economics, 2003.
- T. W. Schultz, "Investment in human capital", The American economic review, pp. 1-17, 1961.
- S. Guerrero and V. Barraud-Didier, "High-involvement practices and performance of French firms", The international journal of Human Resource management, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1408-1423, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0958519042000258002 https://doi.org/10.1080/0958519042000258002
- M. A. Huselid, "The impact of human resource management practices on turnover, productivity, and corporate financial performance", Academy of management journal, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 635-672, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/256741 https://doi.org/10.2307/256741
- K. H. Lee and J. H. Jung. "The impact of human resource development & management on corporate performance", Journal of Employment and Skills Development, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 127-146, 2008.
- J. Y. Lim and Y. M. Lee, "The Effects Of Small And Medium Business' Educational Investment On Their Performance And Outcomes In Manufacturing Industries", Journal of Human Resource Management Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 139-162, 2010.
- J. S. Kim and M. S. Lee, "The Study on the Relationship of Education-Training Activities and Firm Value according to Firm Size and R&D Intensity", Korean Business Education Review, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 171-194, 2011.
- H. Dale-Olsen, Fringe Attraction. Compensation Policies, Worker Turnover and firm performance, Working paper, Institute for Social Research, Oslo, 2007.
- J. T. Han, "Analysis of Factors Influencing the Construction Business Management Success", Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 46-54, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2013.14.4.046 https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2013.14.4.046
- K. O. Jung and E. S. Lim, "Analysis of the Relationship between Employee Benefits Spending and Business Performance -Focused on KOSPI-", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 6029-6035, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6029
- E. Y. Cho and D. Y. Yoon, "Effect on Business Performance and Firm Value by Employee Benefits, Education and Training Expenses", The Journal of Business Education, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 185-214, 2016.
- J. W. Kim, An analysis of effect of investment in human capital and employee benefit to business performance, Master Thesis, Graduate School of Economics, Yonsei University, 2012.
- W. H. Greene, Econometric Analysis, pp. 56-59, Prentice Hall, 2003.
- T. Hastie, R. Tibshirani, and J. Friedman, The Elements of Statistical Learning, pp. 52-54, Springer, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-84858-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-84858-7
- N. Omidikia and M. Kompany-Zareh, "Uninformative variable elimination assisted by Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization/successive projection algorithm for descriptor selection in QSAR", Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 128, pp. 56-65, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2013.07.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2013.07.008
- M. Kompany-Zareh and N. Omidikia, "Jackknife-based selection of Gram−Schmidt orthogonalized descriptors in QSAR", Journal of chemical information and modeling, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 2055-2066, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/ci100169p https://doi.org/10.1021/ci100169p
- M. Randic and M. Pompe, "Retro-regression-a way to resolve multivariate regression ambiguities", Acta Chim. Slov, vol. 52, pp. 408-416, 2005.
- G. G. Sin, G. O. Jeong, and Y. Y. Kim. "A Study on the Impact of the Educational and Training Expenses on the Firm Performance", Accounting Information Review., vol. 21, pp. 173-185, 2003.
- C. M. Ham, J. D. Kim, and M. K. Cho, "The Effects of Education & Training Expenses on Firm Business Performance", Korean Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 285-308, 2010.
- J. H. Han, "Lag Effect on the Impact of the Education and Training on the Labor Productivity", Korean Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 285-304, 2006.
- K. T. Kim, "A Study on the Relationship between Training Investment and Organizational Performance: Mediating Effects of Job Satisfaction, Job Skill Enhancement, and Employee Competence", Journal of Organization and Management, vol.32, no. 4, pp. 29-57, 2008.
- S. G. Kim and R. M. Yeon, "Effectiveness of R&D Investment on Enterprise Outcome", Korean Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 1-31, 2007.
- H. Z. Kim and H. Y. Kang, "Time-series Analysis on the Effects of R&D by Industry", Accounting Information Review, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 393-426, 2013.
- K. L. Park, "An Empirical Analysis of the Relationship between Advertisement Expenses and Business Perfomance", Korean Business Review, vol. 11, pp. 277-293, 1998.
- K. H. Yook, "A further Examination on the Economic Impact of Advertising and R&D Expenditures", Journal of Business Research, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 219-252, 2003.
- Y. S. Kim, Effect of performance-based wage system on business performance, Korea Labor Institute, working paper, 2016.
- C. Lucifora and F. Origo, "Performance-related pay and firm productivity: evidence from a reform in the structure of collective bargaining", ILR Review, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 606-632, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0019793915570876 https://doi.org/10.1177/0019793915570876