- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Corporate Governance on Weighted Average Cost of Capital and Tax Avoidance
기업지배구조가 가중평균자본비용과 조세회피간의 관련성에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Hwa Ryeong (Division of Management and Accounting, Pusan University) ;
- Kim, Jin Seop (Division of Management and Accounting, Pusan University)
- Received : 2017.04.24
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This paper examines the effects of strong corporate governance for listed companies in accessing capital markets from the point of view of the weighted average cost of capital. Results found that corporate governance had a significant negative(-) relation to the weighted average cost of capital. This finding is consistent with previous research and implies that the higher shareholder ownership and foreign ownership have confidence in the financial information of the company, and therefore, risk is reduced for investors. This results in lower expected rates of return and companies will pay a lower cost of capital. Second, tax evasion had a positive effect(+) on the weighted average cost of capital. The low quality of corporate accounting information is expected to increase tax avoidance. Accordingly, this results in increased risk. If the required rate of return is high in its impact,it leads to increased capital costs. In addition, corporate governance and tax avoidance factors showed a negative affect (-) on the weighted average cost of capital. Corporate governance plays an important role in tax avoidance and the weighted average cost of capital, and strong corporate governance reducesthe impact on tax avoidance. In addition, the weighted average cost of capital in capital markets showed the reducing effect.
corporate governance;the weighted average cost of capital;tax avoidance;Foreign Investors Ownership;Large Ownership
- Francis, J., R. La Fond, P. Olsson, K. schipper, Costs of Equity and Earnings Attributes, The accounting Review vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 967-1010, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2004.79.4.967
- Rezaee, Z. 2002. Financial Statement
- Kang, Jeong-yeon, Tax Avoidance and Corporate Transparency, vol. 2012. no. 2, pp. 74-111, 2012.
- Kim, Eun-Joo, The Effect of Tax Avoidance and Audit Quality on the Cost of Equity, 2012.
- Park Jong-guk and Hong Young Eun, "Tax Avoidance and Foreign Ownership", Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 105-135, 2009.
- Jin Taehong, Choe Heon-seop, The "large-scale enterprise group corporate governance and tax avoidance," Taxation Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 163-184, 2012.
- Choi Dongchun, Seo Jeong-rok, "Relationship between Corporate Governance and Tax Avoidance", Accounting Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1-27, 2012.
- Choe Hyeon-dol, Yun Jaewon, "impact of corporate governance on the conservatism of accounting information." Accounting Research, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 145-174, 2006.
- Kim Tae Sung Goo il Seo, A Study on the Economic Evaluation of Investment Using Weighted Average Cost of Capital, Journal of the Korean Society for Safety Management Science vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 135-144, 2001.
- Choi, Yong-Sub, An Empirical Study on the Capital Cost and Optimal Capital Structure of Listed Companies in Korea, 1996.
- sin ho young, corporate governance structure influence on the relationship between vol. untary disclosure and cost of equity, 2014