- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Structural Safety of Polyethylene Boats by Drop Test Method
낙하시험에 의한 폴리에틸렌 보트의 구조 안전성 평가
- Lee, Sung-Riong (Dept. of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kang, Gyung-Ju (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Cho, Seok-Swoo (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2017.03.08
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
The structural safety of small craft, such as steel ships and FRP ships, can be estimated using the measurement test of the hull plate thickness or the longitudinal bending strength test. A polyethylene boat is made using inexpensive HDPE and can be mass produced. The structural safety of a polyethylene boat cannot be guaranteed because a polyethylene boat hull is notspecified in the KR technical rules. The inspection procedure of sailing yachts and pleasure boats and drop test method of ISO standard 12215-5 propose the structural strength required for small crafts as the drop test height. Therefore, in this study, the drop test of a polyethylene boat hull was carried out based on the inspection procedure of a sailing yacht and pleasure boat and the drop test method of ISO standard 12215-5. The drop load was acquired by the drop acceleration ofa boat hull. Structural analysis and safety of a polyethylene boat were performed by the drop load and allowable stress criteria. The calculation results of the hull plate thickness by structural design specification of ISO standard 12215-5 showed that polyethylene boat hull was more than two times thicker than a steel ship hull and the boat hull determined by the inspection procedure of sailing yacht and pleasure boat and drop test method of ISO standard 12215-5 was more than 1.2 times thicker than the boat hull determined by structural design specification of ISO standard 12215-5. Therefore, inspection procedure of sailing yachts and pleasure boats and drop test method of ISO standard 12215-5 was much more conservative than the structural design specification of ISO standard 12215-5 and could be used as the structural design method of a polyethylene boat.
Drop Test;Inspection procedure of sailing yacht and pleasure boat;ISO standard 12215-5;Polyethylene Boat;Structural Strength
Supported by : 강원대학교
- Nian-Zhong Chena and C. Guedes Soares, "Longitudinal strength analysis of ship hulls of composite materials under sagging moments", Composite Structures, vol. 77, pp. 36-44, 2.007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.06.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.06.002
- B. K. Hong, "A Study on the standard of ship hull construction for aluminium alloys fishing boats", The Korean Society for Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 22-88, 2000.
- N. Z. Chen, C. G. Soares, "Reliability assessment for ultimate longitudinal strength of ship hulls in composite materials", Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 330-342, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2007.05.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2007.05.001
- B. Y. Kang, Build Wooden canoe by Myself, Mannam Press, pp. 103-108, 2007.
- C. K. Park, M. G. Kim, S. S. Cho, "A study on manufacturing and structural design of leisure canoe", Proceedings of the KSME(The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers) 2010 Spring annual meeting, pp. 403-404, 2010.
- A. D. Drozdov, J. C. Christiansen, "Modelling the viscoplastic response of polyethylene in uniaxial loading-unloading tests", Mechanics research communications, vol. 30, pp. 431-442, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-6413(03)00040-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-6413(03)00040-5
- X. Q. Wang, N. Brown, "The stress and strain fields in the neighbourhood of a notch in polyethylene", Polymer, vol. 30, pp. 456-1461, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0032-3861(89)90215-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/0032-3861(89)90215-2
- S. S. Cho "Structural design of polyethylene boat by longitudinal bending strength test method," The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2015 spring and fall annual meeting, pp. 141-142, 2015.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (Korean), Marine leisure ships guideline, Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, pp. 36-38, 2013 (Korean).
- ISO 12215-5, Small craft-Hull construction and scantlings-Part 5 : Design pressures for monohulls, design stresses, scantlings determination, pp. 49-51, ISO, 2008.
- S. S. Cho, "A Study on Hull Form Development of Polyethylene Boat," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. vol. 14, no. 10 pp. 4726-4732, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.4726 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.10.4726
- W. M. Kwak, A study on the Hull Product Design of Polyethylene Boat, pp. 45-48, Master thesis, Graduate School of Industry & Science, Kangwon National University, 2013.
- KS, Testing method for tensile creep of plastics, pp. 1-13, KS, 2012.
- KBC 2017, South Korean standard for steel building structures, MOLIT(Ministry of land, infrastructure and transport in South Korea), pp. 41-60, 2017.
- EN 1317, Road restraint systems, CEN (the European Committee for Standardization), pp. 23-45, 2010.
- Y. G. Bae, S. L. Lee, "Ship Collision Risk Assessment and Sensitivity Analysis for Sea-crossing Bridges", Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1753-1763, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.5.1753 https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.5.1753
- H. J. Lee, S. H. Yun, T. H. Park, "Ship Collision Damage Analysis of Bridge Structure," Proceedings of the KCI 2010 spring meeting, pp. 593-594, KCI (Korea concrete institute), 2010.
- ISO 12215-5, Small craft-Hull construction and scantlings-Part 5 : Design pressures for monohulls, design stresses, scantlings determination, pp. 28-31, ISO, 2008.
- ISO 12215-5, Small craft-Hull construction and scantlings-Part 5 : Design pressures for monohulls, design stresses, scantlings determination, pp. 52-79, ISO, 2008.
- W. M. Kwak, A study on hull product design of polyethylene boat, pp. 73-81, Master thesis, Graduate School of Industry & Science, Kangwon National University, 2013.
- S. S. Cho, "Study of Structural Design of Polyethylene Pleasure Boat," KSME(A), vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1551-1561, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3795/ksme-a.2012.36.12.1551 https://doi.org/10.3795/ksme-a.2012.36.12.1551
- N. E. Dowling, Mechanical behavior of materials, pp. 112-114, Prentice-Hall Inc., 1999.