- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Life Stress, Depression and Drinking Motives on Problem Drinking among College Students
대학생의 생활스트레스, 우울, 음주동기가 문제음주에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Jong-Im (Department of Nursing, Jungwon University)
- 김종임 (중원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.02.15
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of life stress, depression, and drinking motives on problem drinking among college students. The subjects were 249 college students and data were collected through a self-reported structured questionnaire from Nov to Dec 2016. Collected data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation, and stepwise multiple regression. The findings showed that drinking motives were the biggest factor influencing their problem drinking with coping, social, enhancement and conformity motives exerting special effects on it. As for correlations with problem drinking, interpersonal and ongoing task stress of life stress had positive correlations with problem drinking. Coping, social, enhancement, and conformity motives also had positive relations with problem drinking. Drinking motives had critical effects on the problem drinking of college students with coping, social, and enhancement motives strongly impacting on it. The findings necessitate examining the drinking motives of college students to make them choose to drink including negative emotions, social activities, and gatherings in order to prevent their problem drinking. These factors could explain 33% of the problem drinking. It is also required to develop methods for them to utilize resources other than drinking and run drinking education and temperance programs at the school level.
Depression;Dringking;Drinking motivation;Life stress;Problem dringking
Supported by : Jungwon University
- H. S. Rhu, M. J. Baek, "Factors Influencing the drinking behavior in female university students". Journal of Korean Academy community health nursing, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 307-315, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.307 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.307
- A. C. Carter, K. O. Brandon, M. S. Goldman, "The college and noncollege experience: A review of then factors that influence drinking behavior in young adulthood". Journal of Studies on Alcohol Drugs, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 742-750, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2010.71.742 https://doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2010.71.742
- S. H. Lee, S. E. Chung, "Drinking, experiences of female college students", Womens Health, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1-19, 2011.
- K. H. Suh, S. A. Yang, "The role of alcohol use as coping method with stressors of college students", Journal of Korea Youth Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 331-352, 2011.
- Korea national health and nutrition examination survey(internet) Seoul, 2013.
- M. K. Kang, I. K. Kim, "Drinking motivation, daily stress, and problem dinking behavior of female university students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 5053-5061, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5053 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5053
- Ministry of Health Welfare, 2015, Available Form; http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/index.jsp(accessed Dec, 20, 2015)
- W. M. Cox, E. Klinger, "A Motivational model for alcohol use". Journal of Abnormal Psychology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 168-190, 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.97.2.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.97.2.168
- N. S. Kim, "Health promoting behavior and influencing factors of university students; Optimism and coping skills", Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 719-728, 2007.
- J. R. Joeng, E. Y. Kim, Y. J. Lee, S. A. Choi, J. K. Kim, "The Effects of Psychosocial factors on college students' drinking motives: focused on depression, Adult Attachment, and Interpersonal Competency", Korea Journal of Counseling, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 293-308, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.16.2.201504.293 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.16.2.201504.293
- S. K. Chung, "Risk and protective factors in Korean college student drinking behavior", Korea Journal Family therapy, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 113-134, 2008.
- S. I. Benton, S. A. Benton, R. G. Downey, "College student drinking, attitudes toward risks, and drinking consequences", Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drug, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 5436-5551, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.2006.67.543 https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.2006.67.543
- G. E. Kim, N. A. Cho. "The Effects of drinking environment on the degree of youth drinking: Moderating effects of the interaction of parents and adolescent", Korea Youth Research Association, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 45-68, 2012.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*POWER 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences", Behavior Research Methods, vol. 39, pp. 175-191, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- M. L. Cooper, "Motivations for alcohol use among adolescents: Development and validation of a four-factor model", Psychological Assessment, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 117-128, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-3522.214.171.124 https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-35126.96.36.199
- H. U. Shin, "The Relationship between drinking motives and drinking problems", Korean Psychological Association. vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 93-109, 1999.
- O. Kim, H. O. Jeon, "Relationship of drinking motives and alcohol consumption in Korean male office workers", Psychological Reports; Diability & Tranma, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 963-970, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2466/18.06.13.PR0.111.6.963-970
- B. U. Lee, C. H. Lee, P. G. Lee, M. J. Namk, "AUDIT : Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test", Korea Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 83-92, 2000.
- J. S. Kim, M. K. Oh, B. K. Park, M. K. Lee, G. J. Kim, "Screening criteria of alcoholism by alcohol use disorders identification test(AUDIT) in Korea", Korean Journal of Family Medicine, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1152-1159, 1999.
- K. K. Chon, K. H. Kim, J. S. Yi, "Development of the Revised Life Stress Scale for College Students", The Korean journal of health psychology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 316-335, 2000.
- CES-D(Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale, Radloff, 1977.
- K. K. Chon, S. J. Choe, B. C. Yang, "Epidemiologic Studies-Depression Scale in the Korean Version", The Korean journal of psychopharmacology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 59-76, 2001.
- B. Borsari, J. G. Muprhy, N. P. Barnett, "Predictors of alcohol use during the frist year of college: Implications for prevention", Addiction Behaviors, Vol. 32, No. 10, pp. 2062-2086, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2007.01.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2007.01.017
- D. S. Hasin, F. S. Stinson, E. Ogburn, B. F. Grant, "Prevalence, correlates, disability, and comorbidity of DSM-IV alcohol abuse and dependence in the United States", Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 64, pp. 830-842, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.64.7.830 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.64.7.830
- M. H. Park, H. O. Jeon, "The Influence of health behaviors and health related quality of life on depression among korean female problem drinker", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 7844-7854, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7844 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7844
- Survey Report on Drinking Status and Perception of College Students, The Korea Public Health Association, http://www.kpha.or.kr/, 2012.
- M. P. Martens, E. S. Hatchett, R. M. Fowler, K. M. Fleming, "Prospective behavioral strategies and the relationship between depressive symptoms and alcohol-related negative consequences among college students", Journal of Counseling Psychology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 535-541, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/a0013588 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0013588
- J. H. Rhee, "A study on antecedents of employee's drinking behavior and its relationship with counterproductive work behavior", Journal of Business Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 33-52, 2005.
- S. O. Kim, "A study drinking motives, self efficacy, drinking problem in male adults", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 270-280, 2006.
- B. H. Jeon, H. C. Noh, W. Kim, S. E. Kim, S. J. Lee, D. H. Lee, "Does the drinking behavior of interns and residents affect their attitudes toward the screening, brief Intervention and referral treatm", The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 495-497, 2010.