- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on the Level of Postpartum Women's Fatigue and Breast Feeding Rate according to the Types of Rooming-in care
모자동실제 유형에 따른 산모피로도 및 모유수유율 비교
- Kim, Youngmi (Kyung Hee University Hospital at Gangdong) ;
- Kim, Sunghee (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Cho, Kap-Chul (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2017.01.24
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study was conducted to identify the relevance between postpartum women'sfatigue and breast-feeding rate in accordance with the types of rooming-in care at one hospital in Seoul. The data were collected by using a self-report questionnaire between June and July of 2014. All subjects were full-time rooming-in group, with 64 mothers and part time rooming-in group, 43 mothers. The collected data were analyzed using SPSS 22.0 windows program. The result supported Hypothesis 1, in which the number of full-time rooming-in group's daily breast-feeding would out number that of part time rooming-in group. Hypothesis 2, on the other hand, which was that the breast-feeding rate would differ between the full-time rooming-in and the part-time rooming-in groups was overruled. Hypothesis 3, in which the fatigue of the full-time rooming-in group would be higher than the part-time rooming-in group was supported. Hypothesis 4, in which postpartum women'sfatigue would relate to breast-feeding rate during hospitalization period was overruled. Thus, based on this research, it is suggested that rather than collectively running the full-time rooming-in care, part-time rooming-in care that is individualized with considerations to the conditions of the mothers and new-born should be considered.
Breast feeding;Full time Rooming-in care;Hospital;Part time Rooming-in care;The level of Postpartum Fatigue
- M. S. Hwang, "Effect of rooming-in on maternal role and breast-feeding", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, 1997.
- K. Bystrova, V. Ivanova, M. Edhborg, A.Matthiesen, A. B. Ransjo-Arvidson, R. Mukhamedrakhimov, K. Uvnas-Moberg, A. M. Widstrom, "Early contact versus separation: Effects on mother- infant interaction one year later", Birth, vol. 36, pp. 97-109. 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2009.00307.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2009.00307.x
- E. R. Moore, G. C. Anderson, "Randomized controlled trial of very early mother-infant skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding status", Journal of Nursing Measurement, vol. 2, pp. 129-141, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmwh.2006.12.002
- E. Declercq, C. Sakala, M. P. Corry, S. Applebaum, P. Risher, "Listening to mothers: Report of the first national U. S. survey of women's childbearing experiences", Retrieved August 5, 2010, from http://www.maternitywise.org/listenintomothers
- I. S. Chung, "A Study of Rooming-In and Rooming-Seperate System : With Special Focus on Infant-Care Confidence and Postpartum Fatigue", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanbuk University, Seoul. 2014.
- WHO 2002. http://www.who.int/child-adolescent-healthoptimaldurationofexclusivebreastfeeding.
- P. L. Rice, "Rooming-in and cultural practices: Choice or constraint?", Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, vol. 18, pp. 21-32, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/02646830050001654 https://doi.org/10.1080/02646830050001654
- H. R. Kim, "Braestfeeding Trends, Affecting Factors and Poilicy Options for Braestfeeding Promotion in Korea", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, vol. 86, pp. 2011-18, 2013.
- S. K. Kim, A. J. Joe, Y. K. Kim, S. K. Park, K. W. Lee, "A whole country delivery capacity and research on the actual condition of family health in 2003", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Y. J. Choi, M. O. Kim, "Effect of a breastfeeding management program on breastfeeding duration", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 13, pp. 245-253, 2007.
- H. J. Lee, Y. H. Cho, W. J. Kim, "Factors affecting breast feeding practice", Inje Journal, vol. 25, pp.9-31, 2010.
- H. J. Yang, Y. E. Lee, S. O. Lee, "Factors related to neonatal suckling in the initiation of breast feeding in primiparous mothers", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 11, pp. 202-208, 2005.
- Y. M. Ann, Y. E. Lee, "A comparative study on the perceptions of the rooming-in system among nurses, physicians and mothers", Journal of Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 239-261, 1998.
- A. Crivelli-Kovach, E. K. Chung, "An evaluation of hospital breastfeeding policies in the Philadelphia metropolitan area 1994-2009: A comparison with the baby-friendly hospital initiative ten steps", Breastfeeding Medicine, vol. 6, pp. 77-84, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2010.0009 https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2010.0009
- Y. M. Kim, H. Y. Jang, E. J. Jeong, E. Y. Kim, J. S. Kim, E. K. Kim, "A study of the improvement of neonatal care system" Seoul: Hospital Nurses Association, 2008.
- S. J. Kim, G. H. Jeong, T. H. Kim, "Subjective Symtoms of Fatigue inn postpartum Women", Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 427-438, 2000.
- Y. A. Sung, J. Y. Ahn, H. Y. Lee, J. Y. Kim, D. H. Ahn, Y. J. Hong, "A Survey of Breast Feeding", Korean Journal Pediatrics, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 444-450, 1998.
- S. J Reeder, L. L. Martin, D. Koniak-griffin, Maternity Nursing(18th), New York: Lippincort, 1997.
- L. C. Pugh, "Childbirth and the measurement of fatigue", Journal of Nursing Measurement, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 57-66, 1993.
- J. E. Song, "A comparative study on the level of postpartum women's fatigue between rooming-in and non rooming-in groups", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 241-255, 2001.
- Y. M. Kim, O. K. Park, H. R. Jang, E. J. Jung, J. S. Kim, E. Y. Young, "Comparisons of Maternal Perceptions between Rooming-in and Non Rooming-in Postpartum Women" Journal Of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. Vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 77-89, 2009.
- Y. M. Kim, E. Y. Kim, "Maternal and Hospital Factors Impacting the Utilization of Rooming-in Care in South Korea : Secondary Analysis of National Health Data", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 593-602, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.593 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.593
- P. Liamputtong, "Giving birth in the hospital: Childbirth experiences of Thai women in northern Thailand", Health Care for Women International, vol. 25, pp. 454-480, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/07399330490267468 https://doi.org/10.1080/07399330490267468
- E. Y. Kim, Y. M. Kim, J. S. Kim, D. S. Cho, E. K. Kim, "Attitude and awareness of nurses about rooming-in system", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 16, pp. 137-146, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.2.137 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.2.137
- UNICEF 2004. The state of the world's children. Oxford University Press.
- I. O. Kim, H. J. Wang, "Effect of Romming-in if New Mothers on Breast Feeding Rate", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 5-12, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.1.5 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.1.5
- G. Y. Shin, O. J. Kim, J. H. Park, J. L. Lee, "Effects of rooming-in on continuation of breast-feeding and maternal identity", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 402-411, 2002.
- B. D. Im, J. H. Park, "Management state of baby friendly hospital initiative and change in breast feeding rate", Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, vol.12, pp. 49-50, 2002.
- Y. H. Kwak, O. S. Han, H. S. Kim, "Survey of breast feeding rate of roomnig in system", Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 71-89, 1998.