- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Exploring a Direction of the Development of an Education Program for Health Improvement of the Unemployed Elderly
미취업 노인의 건강 개선 교육 프로그램의 개발 방향 탐색
- Park, Hyeok (Department of Physical Education, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, Gawon (Department of Education, Chosun University)
- Received : 2017.04.05
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
The purpose of this study is to propose a health improvement education program for the majority of elderly people who could not work due to health issues. This study focused on the fact that employment has a positive influence on the health outcomes of the elderly. The paper compares the health outcomes of employed elderly versus that of the unemployed, and suggests directions for future lifelong education programs related to health for the unemployed elders. The study results show more positive health outcomes for employed elders in terms of nutrition status and ability to perform daily tasks. Furthermore, their cognitive ability was more active (orientation, peripheral concentration, awareness of daily life) and their overall quality of life. Therefore, the study aims to develop health outcomes in the unemployed elderly population through safety education, improving health habits, performance improvement education via cognitive activation and socializing, and to secure the professionalism of lifelong education programs for the elderly which is currently only seen as a leisure activity. The object of the proposed program in this study is to maintain health by providing opportunities employment - a core component of successful aging - and relevant social interaction. This will greatly improve the quality of life of the elderly and provide a basis for widening the social role of elderly people in the future.
Lifelong education;Elderly education;Health education for elderly;Health education Successful aging
- Statistics Korea, http://www.kostat.go.kr/(accessed Feb 2, 2016)
- K. O. Chang, Effect of Self-esteem and Life satisfaction on Quality of life of Elderly School Program Participants, Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 5078-5087, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5078 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5078
- M. R. Kim, The Effect of Four Hardships(Poverty, Disease, Loneliness, Rolelessness) on the Perceived Stress and Mediating Effect of the Coping Resources of Older Women, Journal of Welfare for the Aged, vol. 43, pp. 303-330, 2009.
- H. O. Jeon, O. Kim, Comparison of Health Status, Sleep and Depression by the Employment Status in the Elderly, Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 1203-1211, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.3.1203 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.3.1203
- E. H. Jang, S. I. Nam, The Effect of the Four Major Difficulties on Suicide Ideation among the Elderly -Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Depression, Korea Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, vol. 69, pp, 123-151, 2015.
- J. H. Lee, H. G. Kang, W. S. Jung, Y. M. Chae, Y. G. Ji, The Impact of Employment on Elder's Quality of Life, Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 143-156, 2008.
- R. J. Havinghurst, Developmental tasks and education. New York: McKay. 1971.
- De Boer. (2006). Report on the Elderly 2006; Changes in the Lives and Living Situation of Elderly Persons in the Netherlands, Social and Cultural Planning Office of the Netherlands.
- Korea Labor Force Development Institute for Aged, "Senior employment outlook", 2010.
- M. S. Shin, The Future Direction of Korean Elderly Education in the Lifelong Learning Period, Journal of Lifelong Education, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1-24, 2007.
- S. H. Kim, D. H. Kim, The Effects of PNF Exercise on Body Functions and Fall Efficacy of Elderly Women, Korea Journal of physical education, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 495-512, 2013.
- H. Park, Effects of Combined Exercise Training on Prevention for Falls and Atherosclerosis Factors in Elderly Women, unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonnam National University, 2016.
- J. M. Kim, I. S. Shin, S. S. Y. Kim, S. J. Yang, K. H. Park, J. S. Yoon, Correlates of activities of daily living in demented and non- demented elderly, Journal of the Korean Neurological Association, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 199-205. 2005.
- M. P. Lawton, The Functional Assessment of elderly people. Journal of American Geriatrics Society, vol. 19 no. 6, pp. 465-481, 1971. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1971.tb01206.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1971.tb01206.x
- Y. K. Kim, H. R. Kim, The Effects of a Cognitive Enhancement Program for the Elderly, The Korean Journal of Developmental psychology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 87-108, 2015.
- D. M. Compton, L. D. Bachman, D. Brand, & T. L. Aver, Age-associated changes in cognitive function in highly educated adult: Emerging myths and realities, International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 15, pp. 75-85, 2000. DOI:https:/ /doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1166(200001)15:1<75::AID-GPS81>3.3.CO;2-D https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1166(200001)15:1<75::AID-GPS81>3.3.CO;2-D