- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Relationship Between Electroencephalogram Response and Health Promoting Behavior by Applying Eight-Week Motionbeat Exercise to Obese Women
비만여성들의 8주간 모션비트 리듬운동 적용에 따른 뇌파반응과 건강증진행위의 관계
- Shin, Hye-Sun (Department of Nursing, Namseoul University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Min (Department of Beauty Health, Shinhan University) ;
- Seo, Su-Yeun (Department of Beauty Health, Shinhan University)
- Received : 2017.03.16
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study aimed to maximize the effectiveness of motionbeat rhythm exercise on obese women and its applicability in all fields of sports. In addition, this study aimed to propose a plan to promote continuous exercise for people to incorporate as a means to improve healthy lifestyle. The results showed several effects of EEG on health promoting behaviors. Electroencephalogram (Alpha Power) of the left prefrontal cortex showed to have a significant effect on health promotion activities, with respect to stress management, in the motion beat rhythm exercise group. Considering all research findings, we found that the 8-week motion beat exercise can be used as an appropriate and effective social sport program for overweight women as it brings forth positive changes in the prefrontal cortex that maximizes the pleasantness of and interest in health promotion activities relating to stress management. Moreover, we suggest that it can be a method to create an environment for overweight people to continuously participate in exercises by providing results from fun and relaxingactivities, rather than just creating simple physical effects.
Health promoting behaviors;Motion-beat;Obese women;Rhykwon;Rhythm exercise
- C. S. Han, K. S. Lee, M. S. Lee, B. J. Na and H. J. Hwang, "The Effect of Changing the Order of Exercise Types on Body Composition and Blood Lipid in Obese Women", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 10, No. 12, pp. 3888-3894, 2009. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.12.3888 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.12.3888
- Roubenoff R, "Sarcopenic obesity: the confluence of two epidemics", Obesity Research, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 887-888, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2004.107 https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2004.107
- M. M. Hillemeier, C. S. Weisman, C. Chuang, D. S. Downs, J. McCall-Hosenfeld and F. Camacho, "Transition to overweight or obesity among women of reproductive age", Journal of Womens Health, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 703-710, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2010.2397 https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2010.2397
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Announcement of 2014 National Health and Nutrition Survey Results. Health and Nutrition Examination Division of Centers for Disease Control & Prevention[2014, October 6], http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/intro/CdcKrIntro0201.jsp?menuIds=HOME001-MNU1154-MNU0005-MNU0011&cid=65846
- Bizmedic, Obesity & health, Seoul: Hanmibook, 2007.
- J. M. Lee and S. Y. Seo, "The effects of motion-beat in rhythm exercise on electroencephalogram of Obese Women", The Korean Society of Sports Science, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 1391-1407, 2016.
- K. H. Park, "Current Condition and Future Directions of Rhythmic Physical Activity", Journal of Korean Society for Rhythmic Exercises, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 21-28. 2010.
- Y. M. Kim, "Relationship between dance participation and self-actualization", dankuk University, 2000.
- Gabrielsson, A, "Perception and performance of musical rhythm," in Manfred methods. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, Vol. 5, pp. 90-93, 1982.
- Kate Gfeller, H, An introduction to music therapy: theory and practice, Boston: McGraw-Hill, 1999.
- C. Karageorghis, D. A Mouzourides, D. L. Priest, T. A Sasso, D. J Morrish, C. J Walley, "Psychophysical and ergogenic effects of synchronous music during treadmill walking", Journal of sports exercise psychology. Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 18-36, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.31.1.18
- C. Karageorghis, P. C Terry, A. M Lane, D. T Bishop, D. lee. Priest, "The Bases expert Statement on use of music in exercise", Journal of sports sciences, Vol. 30, No. 9, pp. 953-956, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2012.676665 https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2012.676665
- S. S. Bae and S. K. Jo, "Responses of Heart rate and exercise intensity on music tempo in aerobic dance", Korean Physical Education Association For Girl And Women, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 31-41, 1996.
- G. Johnson, D. Otto and A. A. Clair, "The effects of instrumental and vocal music on adherence to a physical rehabilitation exercise program with persons who are elderly", Journal of music therapy, Vol. 2, pp. 82-96, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jmt/38.2.82 https://doi.org/10.1093/jmt/38.2.82
- J. H. Park, "The influence of a variety of music beat on the Isokinetic muscle function and hormone concentration for middle aged women during Rhy-Kwon exercise", Kyung won University, 2008.
- K. S. Jo and W. W. Kim., "Effects of the Rhy-Kwon Exercise with Motion Beat Music on Physical Fitness and Mood among Adult Women", Korea Society of Muscl and Joint Health, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 125-134, 2009.
- H. H. Hwang and J. M. Lee, "Effects of motion-beat in rhythm exercises on Wellness Index and cardiovascular risk factors of female with overweight", The Korean Society of Sports Science, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 1273-1287, 2013.
- Pender N. J, Health Promotion in Nursing Practice(3rd ed.). Stanford, Connecticut: Appleton & Lange, 1996.
- Pender N. J, Murdaugh C. L. and Parsons M. A, Health promotion in nursing practice(5th ed.). Upper saddle river, NJ: Pearson education Inc, 2006.
- Pender, N. J, Health Promotion in Nursing Practice. New York: Appleton Century Crofts, 1982.
- H. S. Yu, "Prediction model on health promotion behaviors of high school students", Chonbuk National University, 2014.
- S. H. Lee, S. C. Han and E. K. Jang, "The Effects of Sports Massage on EEG Changes after Submaximal Exercise", The Korean Society of Sports Science, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 527-535, 2008.
- Weinberg R. S. and Gould D. G, Foundations of sport and exercise psychology. Champaigh, IL: Human kinetics, 2006.
- H. S. Choi and H. S. Nam, "A study on young children's emotional stability and stress in response to different visual stimuli: Based on EEG", The Korea Society for Children's Media, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 69-88.
- Clynes M, Sentics: The touch of the emotion. New York: Anchor press, 1978.
- H. L. Oh, "Comparison of psycho-physiological respondses during recovery phase between sword dancing and treadmill running with similar intensity corresponding to sword dancing", Kei Myung University, 2004.
- The National Institute of The Korean Language. Naver dictionary(open dictionary), [2003 December 19] http://dic.search.naver.com/search.naver?where=ldic&sm=tab_nmr&query=%EB%A6%AC%EA%B6%8C&site=&ie=utf8
- H. S. Kang, K. J. Kim, T. W. Kim, H. M. Kim, K. T. Jang and J. K. Jun(Translator). Physiology of Sport and Exercise, Jack H.Wilmore, David L. Costill(The author) 2005, Seoul: Daehan Media. 2006.
- Korea Rhykwon Association, Rhykwon, Leader Training Materials. Seoul: Rhykwon Training materials, 2004
- Korea Society for The Study of Obesity, Obesity Treatment Guidelines, 2012. http://www.kosso.or.kr/general/.
- K. T. Jang and J. S. Lee.(Translator), Sport Physiology for Coaches, SHARKEY, BRIAN, J.(The author) 2007, Seoul: Daehan Media. 2007.
- Korea Institude of Sports Science, 1st grade leisure sport instructors Training Materials. Seoul: Korea Sports Promotion Foundation. 2009.
- D. H. Choi, H. N. Choi and T. W. Jun.(Translator), Exercise physiology: theory and applications to fitness and performance, Scott K. Powers (The author) 2007, Seoul: lifescience book. 2009.
- American College of Sports Medicine, ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. 7th edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006
- Borg GAV., Borg's perceived exertion and pain scales. Champaign: Human Kinetics, 1998.
- Y. J. Kim, J. Y. Kim and C. S. kwon, "Differences in EEG Activity between Science Gifted and Average Children of Elementary School in Creative Science Problem Solving", The Korean Society Biology Education, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 23-32, 2005.
- Y. H. Lee, "The Effect of and Memory Alpha wave-Relax Training Program in Students with Cerebral Palsy", Daegu University, 2003.
- J. K. Kim., "Peak Performance and Psychological Performance of Crisis Management through Alpha Self-Regulation Strategy", Korean Society of Sport Psychology, Vol. 13. No. 1, pp.163-175, 2002.
- Andreassi J. L, Psychophysiology: Human behavior and physiological response. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2006.08.001
- Hinrichs H. and Machleidt W, Basic emotions reflected in EEG-coherences, International Journal of Psychophysiology, Vol. 13, No. 3, 225-232, 1992. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8760(92)90072-J https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8760(92)90072-J
- Walker S. N, Sechrist K. R. and Pender N. J, "The Health-promoting lifestyle profile: Development and psychometric characteristics", Nursing research, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 76-80, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198703000-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198703000-00002
- Y. O. Seo, "Health Promoting Lifestyle, Hardiness and Gender Role Characteristics in Middle-Aged Women", Korean Physical Education Association For Girl And Women, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 119-134, 1996.
- J. H. Yu, "The Effect that the Physical Self-concept of Aged Women Participating in Tai ji would have on Health Control Behavior and Health Promotion Behavior", Myung Ji University, 2014.
- K. J. Kim, "Prediction Model for Health Promotion Behaviors in Middle-aged Men", Hanyang University, 2000.
- Kennedy M. M. and Newton M, "Effect of exercise intensity on mood in step aerobics", The Journal of sports medicine and physical fitness, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 200-204, 1997.
- Thaut M. H, "Rhythmic auditory-motor gasification of gait patterns in patients with Parkinson's disease", Journal of neurosurgery and psychiatry, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 22-26, 1997.
- Y. S. Hong, "The Effect of the Metacogniton Knowledge and Cognitive Strategy on the Exercising Stress of Obese Children", Dongduk Women's University, 2012.
- E. Y. Kim, "The effects of musical stimulus on EEG spectra of listeners", Sookmyung Women's University, 2004.
- Schreiber D, The instinct to heal. Rodale Inc. Library of congress cataloging in publication data. U. S. A., 2004.
- B. S. Ryu, "Effects of dance movement psychotherapy program on post-traumatic stress disorder, brain-waves, and ego-identity among sexually-abused adolescents", Hongik University, 2009.
- Y. J. Kwak.(Translator), The emotional life of your brain, Davidson, R. J. & Begley, S.(The author), The emotional life of your brain, Seoul: alkeybook, 2012.
K. C. Jo, Y. C. Yu and Y. J. Juen, "Movement of Electoroencephalogram and Plasm
$\beta$-Endorphin in the Aerobic Exercise", Korea Sport Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 717-725, 2003.
- H. K. Shin, J. H. Kim, N. E. Bae and M. C. Ji, "The Effect of Combind Exercise on Body Composition and Psychological Well-being in Obese Middle-aged Women", The Korean Society of Living Environmental System, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 465-472, 2008.
- B. J. Sung and S. G. Kang, "The effect on physiological and psychological variable after exercise participation of obese adolescents", Korean Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Vol. 4, No.1, pp. 429-439, 2001.
- J. W. Choi, S. G. Kang and Y. S. Kim, "Physiological and Psychological Benefits of Exercise Participation in an Obese Adolescent", Korean Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 1738-1751, 2000.
- H. S. Ryu, "Exercise Effect on Physiological and Psychological Health in Obese Women", Korean Society of Sport Psychology, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 159-168, 1999.
- Diensbier R. A, "Arousal and physiological toughness: Implications for mental and physical health", Psychological review, Vol. 96, pp. 84-100, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.96.1.84 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.96.1.84
- Doyne E. J, Ossip-Klein D. J, Bowman E. D, Osborn K. M, McDougall-Wilson I. B. and Neimeyer R. A, "Running versus weight lifting in the treatment of depression", Journal of Consult Clinical Psychology, Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 748-54, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.55.5.748 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.55.5.748