- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Quality of life in Adult Cancer Patients: The Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-2), 2014
성인 암환자 삶의 질 영향요인 -국민건강영양조사 제6기 2차년도(2014)
- Park, Jin-Ah (Department of nursing, Howon University) ;
- Hong, Ji-Yeon (Department of nursing, Howon University)
- Received : 2017.04.07
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study was conducted to identify the factors affecting the quality of life of cancer patients based on demographic characteristics, health status, and mental health using the results of the 6th National Health and Nutrition Survey. The research tool used the demographic characteristics, health status, mental health, and quality of life of the KNHANES VI-2. Data analysis was conducted using SAS 9.3 version. There were significant differences in the quality of life in the study results by age, gender, economic activity, individual income quartile, subjective health status, mental health status, activity limitation, stress perception, and experience of depression symptoms. Factors influencing the quality of life of cancer patients included age, sex, income quintiles(individual), subjective health status, activity limitation, and experience of depression symptoms, which together explained 39.1% of the quality of life. To improve the quality of life of cancer patients, comprehensive management is required from diagnosis to treatment to return to society. It is also necessary to develop and apply long-term programs including multidimensional approaches and improvement of quality of life, early screening of cancer and cancer prevention education, management of depression symptoms, and social support.
Cancer;Depression;Health status;Mental health;Quality of Life
Supported by : 호원대학교
- National Cancer Information Center. Cancer Facts & Figures 2016, Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare, National Cancer Center; 2017.
- N. Howlader, AM. Noone, M. Krapcho, J. Garshell, D. Miller, SF. Altekruse, CL. Kosary, M. Yu, J. Ruhl, Z. Tatalovich, A. Mariotto, DR. Lewis, HS. Chen, EJ. Feuer, KA. Cronin. (eds). SEER Cancer Statistics Review 1975-2012, 2015.
- Canadian Cancer Society, Statistics Canada and Provincial/Territorial Cancer Registry. Canadian Cancer Statistics 2015.
- Center for Cancer Control and Information Services, National Cancer Center, Monitoring of Cancer Incidence in Japan -Survival 2003-2005 report 2013.
- P. J. Oh. "Predicting quality of life in people with cancer", Journal of Korean Academy Adult Nursing. Vol. 27, pp. 901-11, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19184.108.40.2061 https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19220.127.116.111
- M. S. Park, K. S. Kim. "Cancer survivors' life experience", Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. Vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 93-104, 2008.
- B. R. Kim, Y. H. Kim, J. S. Kim, I. S. Jeong, J. S. Kim. "A study to the coping patterns of cancer patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 321-330, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.321 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.321
- B. Ferrell, CA. Cullinane, K. Ervine, C. Melancon, GC. Uman, G. Juarez. "Perspectives on the impact of ovarian cancer: women's views of quality of life", Oncology Nursing Forum. Vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1143-1149, 2005. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.1143-1149
- K. H. Kim, B. Y. Chung, K. D. Kim, H. S. Byun. "Perceived family support and quality of life in patients with cancer", Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. Vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 52-59, 2009.
- H. K. Hur, D. R. Kim, D. H. Kim. "The relationships of treatment side effects, family support, and quality of life in patient with cancer", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 71-78, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.1.71
- I. J. Lee. "The effects of stress on quality of life in cancer patients: Focusing on the moderating effects of post-traumatic growth", Health and Social Welfare Review. Vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 522-557, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2012.32.3.522 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2012.32.3.522
- H. Kim, H. J. Yoo, Y. J. Kim, O. S. Han, K. H. Lee, J. H. Lee, C. W. Suh, W. K. Kim, J. C. Kim, S. H. Ahn, H. Y. Chung. "Development and validation of Korean Functional Assessment Cancer Therapy-General (FACT-G)", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. Vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 215-229, 2003.
- B. Zebrack. "Cancer survivors and quality of life: A critical review of the literature", Oncology Nursing Forum. Vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1395-1401, 2000.
- J. W. Lim, I. Y. Han. "Comparison of quality of life on the stage of cancer survivorship for breast and gynecological cancer survivors", Korean Journal of Social Welfare. Vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 5-27, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2008.60.1.001 https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2008.60.1.001
- A. Montazeri. "Health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients: A bibliographic review of the literature from 1974 to 2007", Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research. Vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 32, 2008. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-27-32 https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-27-32
- Y. S. Tae, S. J. Youn. "Effects of a forgiveness nursing intervention program on hope and quality of life in woman cancer patients", Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. Vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 111-120, 2006.
- J. G. Kim, L. S. Kwon. "Measurement of quality of life related to health by demographic characteristics of adult patients with cancer using EQ-5D index-Focused on the Korea Health & Nutrition Examination Survey-", The Journal of Digital Policy & Management. Vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 281-291, 2013.
- S. H. Moon. Health related quality of life by physical activity among cancer survivors; Using the 4th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Unpublished Master's Degree, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul. 2012.
- C. Y. Park, H. S. Choi. "A study of the factors influential on a health-related quality of life using complex sample design", Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society. Vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 829-846, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.4.829 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.4.829
- J. A. Park. The experience of hematopoietic stem cell transplant in patients with hematologic malignancy. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul. 2014.
- M. Stephens. "The lived experience post-autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplant(HSCT): a phenomenological study", European Journal of Oncology Nursing. Vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 204-215, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2004.08.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2004.08.002
- S. Chiodi, S. Spinell, G. Ravera, A. R. Petti, M. T. van Lint, T. Lamparell, F. Gualandi, D. Occhini, N. Mordini, G. Gerisso, S. Bregante, F. Frassoni, A. Bacigalupo. "Quality of life in 244 recipients of allogeneic bone marrow transplantation", British Journal of Hematology. Vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 614-619, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2000.02053.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2000.02053.x
- H. Heinonen, L. Volin, A. Untela, M. Zevon, C. Barrick, T. Ruutu. "Quality of life and factors related to perceived satisfaction with quality of life after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation", Annals Hematology. Vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 137-143, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s002770000249 https://doi.org/10.1007/s002770000249
- M. Hensel, G. Egerer, A. Schneeweiss, H. Goldschmidt, A. D. Ho. "Quality of life and rehabilitation in social and professional life after autologous stem cell transplantation", Annals Oncology. Vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 209-217, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdf031 https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdf031
- S. S. Han, I. S. Shin, Y. J. Kim. "Factors that influence quality of life in cancer patients", Korean Journal of Health Promotion Disease Prevention. Vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 33-40, 2009.
- B. Y. Lee, H. S. Jo, M. S. Kwon. "Survey on quality of life, mental health and subjective health status of community dwelling cancer patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing. Vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 49-60, 2010.
- J. S. Park, Y. J. Oh. "Factors influencing on quality of life in gynecological cancer patients", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. Vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 52-63, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.1.52 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.1.52
- Y. L. Park. Factors Influencing quality of life and depression in the korean older cancer patients. Unpublished Master's Degree, Chong-Ang University, Seoul. 2015.
- N. L. Keating. M. Norredam, M. B. Landrum, H. A. Huskamp, E. Meara. "Physical and mental health status of older long-term cancer survivors", Journal of American Geriatric Society. Vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 2145-2152, 2005. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2005.00507.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2005.00507.x
- J. I. Gold, M. K. Douglas, M. L. Thomas, J. E. Elliott, S. M. Rao, C. Miaskowski. "The Relationship Between Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Mood States, Functional Status, and Quality of Life in Oncology Outpatients", Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. Epub ahead of print, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2011.10.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2011.10.014
- K. Y. Kim, S. H. Lee, J. H. Kim, P. J. Oh. "Disturbance in ADL from chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy and quality of life in cancer patients: The mediating effect of psychological distress", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 661-670, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.661 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.661
- A. Mehnert, U. Koch. "Psychological comorbidity and health-related quality of life and its association with awareness, utilization, and need for psychosocial support in a cancer register-based sample of long-term breast cancer survivors", Journal of Psychosomatic Research. Vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 383-391, 2008. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2007.12.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2007.12.005
- Y. Baek, M. Yi. "Factors influencing quality of life during chemotherapy for colorectal cancer patients in South Korea", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 604-612, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.661 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.661
- D. Spiegel, J. Giese-Davis. "Depression and cancer: Mechanisms and disease progression", Biology Psychiatry. Vol. 54, pp. 269-282, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3223(03)00566-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3223(03)00566-3