- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Correlation of Self-Perceived Oral Health Status and Objective Oral Health Status of Adults
성인의 본인 인지 구강건강상태와 객관적 구강건강상태의 연관성
- Kim, Mi-Jeong (Department of Dental Hygiene, VISION College of Jeonju) ;
- Lim, Cha-Young (Department of Dental Hygiene, VISION College of Jeonju)
- Received : 2017.02.15
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study examined whether a correlation exists between the oral health indices assessed by experts and the self-perceived oral health status to develop practical oral health improvement programs for adults. In addition, this study provides basic data for carrying out oral health projects that can enhance the quality of life of adults. The raw data for the 2nd year (2014) of the 6th national health and nutrition survey were analyzed. Among those surveyed, adults over the age of 19 were designated as research subjects. In all age groups, correspondents with a higher DMFT Index assessed their self-perceived oral health status to be 'poor'. The oral health index evaluated by experts showed a correlation with the self-perceived oral health status. Therefore, as a higher self-perceived oral health status might help improve the objective oral health indices, oral health improvement programs should be strengthened to instill self-perceived oral health behavior.
DMFT Index;Objective Oral Health;Oral health status;Perceived oral health;Self-perceived oral health
- J. B. Kim, G. S. Kim, Y. S. Kim, Y. H. Kim, S. H. Jung, B. H. Jin, E. M. Choi, Y. S. Hwang, "Public Oral Health Science", 4th ed, Komoonsa, Seoul, pp. 1-2, 2015.
- M. S. Song, H. T. Song, J. Y. Mok, "Community based cross-sectional study on the related factors with perceived health status among the elderly", J Korean Gerontol Soc, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 127-142, 2003.
- J. H. Jang, S. H. Baik, A. J. Kim, S. H. Jong, O. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, "Association between denture satisfaction and perceived oral health among the elderly with removable denture", J Korean Acad Oral Health, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 438-446, 2006.
- M. R. Lee, G. S. Han, S. J. Han, J. S. Choi, "Impact of Subjectively Reported Oral Health Status on the Quality of Life among Adults: Applying the PRECEDE Model", Korean J Health Educ Promot, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 23-35, 2011.
- I. J. Chang, S. H. Jeong, Y. A. Park, H. K. Lee, K. B. Song, "Association between denture satisfaction and perceived oral health among the elderly with removable denture", J Korean Acad Oral Health, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 360-369, 2006.
- Y. S. Won, S. Y. Park, "Influences of health behaviors and perceived oral symptoms on subjective oral health status", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 787-795, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.787 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.787
- H. K. Kwon, "The Baseline Study of the Denture Treatment Program of Low Socio-Economic Old Aged Population", Ministry of Health & Welfare, Gwacheon, pp. 1-130, 2002.
- Locker D, "Measuring oral health: a conceptual framework", Community Dent health, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 3-18, 1988.
- S. H. Yu, "The relationship between denture satisfaction and perceived oral health status", Journal of Korean Acedemy of Dental Technology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 135-147, 2008.
- Gift HC, Atchison KA, Drury TF, "Perceptions of the natural dentition in the context of multiple variables", J Dent Res, vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 1529-1538, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345980770070801 https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345980770070801
- Wilson IB, Cleary PD, "Linking clinical variables with health-related quality of life. A conceptual model of patient outcomes", JAMA, vol. 273, no. 1, pp. 59-65, 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.273.1.59 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1995.03520250075037
- J. D. Cha, K. A. Jang, "The Factors of Oral Health Impact profile of workers-Industrial workers in Gyeong-Nam province-", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13, no. 10 pp. 4604-4611, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4604 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4604
- C. Y. Lim, "Association of Oral Health with the Nutritional status and Quality of Life in the Elderly. Unpublished doctoral dissertation", Wonkwang University, Iksan, 2014.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, "2016 Community integrated health promotion project information (dental health)", Ministry of Health & Welfare, pp. 14-21, 2016.
- J. H. Kim, S. H. Kang, M. A. Jeong, "Assessment on Quality of Life: Based on Oral Health Conditions", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 11 no. 12 pp. 4873-4880, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.12.4873 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.12.4873
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, "Special Reference to the Health Plan 2020. Ministry of Health & Welfare", Sejong Metropolitan Autonomous City, pp. 301-331, 2011.
- S. H. Jung, "Strengthening strategies of oral health program throughout lifecycle", Gangneung-Wonju National University Industry Academy Cooperation Group, Korea Health Promotion Foundation, Gangneung, pp. 26-27, 2007.
- J. A. Jung, D. K. Kim, "Subjective Oral Health Status and Oral Health Impact Profile of the Older Adults", Oral Biology Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 37-49, 2005.
- Y. J. Jang, N. S. Kim, "Relationship of oral health behavior to subjective oral health status and the DMFT index in Korean adults", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 499-510, 2011.
- H. S. Lee, "Association between perceived oral health and perceived oral symptoms among adults in Daegu", J Korean Soc Dent Hygiene, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 671-681, 2010.
- Y. N. Kim, "The related factors of perceived oral health in Korean adults", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2005
- N. H. Kim, H. D. Kim, D. H. Han, B. H. Jin, D. I. Paik, "Relationship between perceived oral symptoms and perceived oral health status among the elderly in welfare institutions in Seoul", J Korean Acad Oral Health, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 141-150, 2006.
- Y. N. Kim , H. K. Kwon, W. G. Chung, Y. S. Cho, Y. H. Choi, "The association of perceived oral health with oral epidemiological indicators in Korean adults", J Korean Acad Oral Health, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 250-261, 2005.
- Ugarte J, Abe Y, Fukuda H, Honda S, Takamura N, Kobuke Y, Ye Z, Aoyagi K, Mendoza O, Shinsho F, "Self-perceived oral health status and influencing factors of the elderly residents of a peri-urban area of La Paz, Bolivia", Int Dent J, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 19-26, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2007.tb00114.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2007.tb00114.x
- N. E. Jo, M. Y. Kim, J. H. Yoo, H. S. Kim, H. K. Kwon, Y. S. Cho, B. I. Kim, "New composite indicators for evaluating oral health in Korean adults: Functioning Teeth (FS-T) and T-Health Index", J Korean Acad Oral Health, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1-11, 2006.
- J. Y. Choi, G. U. Kim, J. H. Kim, "Dental Health Determinants of Elderly People", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 11 pp. 427-435, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.427 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.427
- E. H. Kim, M. K. Park, I. Y. Ku, S. J. Moon, S. H. Kim, " The Impact of Oral Health Impact Profile(OHIP-14) of Subjectively Reported Oral Status in the Elderly", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 9 pp. 4349-4358, 2013 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4349 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4349
- Gilbert L, "Social factors and self-assessed oral health in South Africa", Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 47-51, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1994.tb01568.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1994.tb01568.x
- Atchison KA, Dolan TA, "Development of the Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index", J Dent Educ, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 680-687, 1990.
- McMillan AS, Allen PF, Walshaw D, Locker D, "A comparison of the validity of generic-and disease-specific measures in the assessment of oral health-related quality of life", Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 344-352, 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1999.tb02031.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1999.tb02031.x