- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Design of DUC/DDC for the Underwater Basestation Based on Underwater Acoustic Communication
수중기지국 수중 음향 통신을 위한 DUC/DDC 설계
- Kim, Sunhee (Department of System Semiconductor Engineering, Sangmyung University)
- 김선희 (상명대학교 시스템반도체공학과)
- Received : 2017.03.30
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
Recently, there has been an increasing need for underwater communication systems to monitor ocean environments and prevent marine disasters, as well as to secure ocean resources. Most underwater communication systems adopted acoustic communication with a consideration of attenuation, absorption, and scattering in conductive sea water, and developed fully digital modems based on processors. In this study, a digital up converter (DUC) and a digital down converter (DDC) was developed for an underwater basestation based on underwater acoustic communication systems. Because one of the most important issues in underwater acoustic communication systems is low power consumption due to environmental problems, this study developed a specific hardware module for DUC and DDC. It supported four links of underwater acoustic communication systems and converted the sampling rate and frequency. The systemwas designed and verified using Verilog-HDL in ModelSim environment with the test data generated from baseband layer parts for an underwater base station.
cic filter;digital down converter;digital up converter;underwater acoustic communication;underwater basestation
- Yong-woo Choi, Jun Hyeok Hwang, Dong Chan Park, Suk Chan Kim, "A Study on a Low Power Underwater Communication Modem for Implementation of Underwater Sensor Networks", Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering vol. 39, no.3, pp. 268-273, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2015.39.3.268 https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2015.39.3.268
- Dongsoo Lee, Sangmin Lee, Sung-Joon Park, "DSP-Based Micro-Modem for Underwater Acoustic Communications",The Journal of The Korean Institute of Communication Sciences, vol.39, no.3, pp. 275-281, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2014.39C.3.275 https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2014.39C.3.275
- Byung-Lok Cho, Gi-Yoon Maeng, "Alamouti MIMO-OFDM-based analysis in the vertical channel of the underwater communication", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 8 pp. 5571-5578, 2015. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5571 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5571
- The Acoustic Communications Group at WHOI, http://acomms.whoi.edu (accessed Mar, 26, 2017).
- Sensing, monitoring and actuating on the Underwater world through a federated Research InfraStructure Extending the Future Internet - SUNRISE, http://fp7-sunrise.eu/Files/OpenCalls/Announcement_Open_Call_2_SUNRISE.pdf (accessed Mar, 26, 2017).
- JAMSTEC, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology, http://www.jamstec.go.jp/e/(accessed Mar, 26, 2017).
- Jin-Seon Hoo, Cho-Yong Kap, Im-Tae Ho, Ma-Hyun, Ko-Hak Lim, "Studies on the structure and operating frequency for the underwater base-station based on underwater acoustic communication systems", Proceedings of Symposium of the Korean Institute of communications and Information Sciences, pp. 448-449, 2015.
- Akyildiz Ian F, Pompili Dario, Melodia Tommaso, "Underwater acoustic sensor networks: research challenges", Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 3, no. 3 pp. 257- 279, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2005.01.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2005.01.004
- Yong-woo Choi, Jun Hyeok Hwang, Dong Chan Park, Suk Chan Kim, "A Study on a Low Power Underwater Communication Modem," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, vol. 39, no. 3, pp.268-273, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2015.39.3.268 https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2015.39.3.268
- Dongsoo Lee, Sangmin Lee, Sung-Joon Park, "DSP-Based Micro-Modem for Underwater Acoustic Communications," The Journal of The Korean Institute of Communication Sciences, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 275-281, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2014.39C.3.275 https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2014.39C.3.275
- H. Yan, L. Wan, S. Zhou, Z. Shi, J.-H. Cui, J. Huang, and H. Zhou, "DSP based receiver implementation for OFDM acoustic modems," Physical Commun., vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 22-32, Mar. 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phycom.2011.09.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phycom.2011.09.001
- Vaishnavi, R., Elamaran, V., "Implementation of CIC filter for DUC/DDC", International Journal of Engineering and Technology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 357-365, 2013.