- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Physical Self-concept on Self-efficacy among University Students in Sports : Focusing on Hierarchical Regression Analysis.
스포츠에 참여 중인 대학생들의 신체적 자기개념이 자기효능감에 미치는 영향: 위계적 회귀분석을 중심으로
- Park, Young-Chan (Department of Sport & Leisure Studies, Daegu University) ;
- Ko, Wi-Sug (Department of Sport & Leisure Studies, Daegu University)
- Received : 2017.04.05
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study examined the physical self-concept and self-efficacy of undergraduates. Using the convenience sampling method of non-provability sampling, a total of 377 undergraduates from North Kyongsang Province G city were selected. Of the 377 completed questionnairescollected, a total of 354 surveys with structural equation modeling were analyzed using theSPSS 22.0 statistics program. The self-esteem, endurance, health, and flexibility factors have positive effects on improvingthe self-control efficacy factor of self-efficacy in the order of physical self-concept factors. On the other hand,the higher university students perceive that among the physical self-concepts, the physical activity factor had more negative effects on the self-regulated efficacy. The self-esteem, health, and muscle strength have positive effects on improvingthe confidence factor of self-efficacy in the order of physical self-concept factors. The more perceptive endurance than the appearance, sports competence, body fat, health, self-esteem, flexibility, muscle strength of physical self-concept, and the more influence on self-efficacy. Overall, the higher the perception of physical activity factors among the physical self-concept factors, the more negative effects on the task difficult preference.
Hierarchical Regression analysis;Physical Self-concept;Self-efficacy;Sports;University Students
- G. W. Kim, Effects of Physical Exercise on Physical Self-Concept. Korean Society of Sport Psychology, vol. 14, no. 1, 1-12, 2003.
- Erickson, E., Childhood and Society(2nd ed.). New York: Norton, 1963.
- Alfermann, D., Selbstkozept und Korperkonzept. In K. Bos & W. Brehm (Hg.), Gesundheitssport - Ein Handbuch Schorndorf: Hofmann, pp. 212-220, 1998.
- Rosenberge, M. Conceiving the self. New York: Basic Books, 1979.
- Marsh, H. W. Age and sex effects in multiple dimensions of self-concept: Preadolescence of early-adulthood. Journal of Educational Psychology, 81, pp. 417-430, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1997 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.527
- Markus, H., & Wurf, E. The dynamic self-concept: A social psychological perspective. Annual Review of Psychology, 38, pp. 299-337, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.38.1.299 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.38.1.299
- Fox, K. R., & Corbin, C. B. The physical self-perception profile: Development and preliminary validation. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 11, pp. 408-430, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.11.4.408 https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.11.4.408
- Marsh, H. W. Age and gender effects in physical self-concepts for adolescent elite athletes and nonathletic: A multicohort-multioccasion design. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 20, pp. 237-259, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.20.3.237
- Sonstroem, R. J., & Morgan, W. P.. Exercise and self-esteem: Rationality and model. Medicine Science in Sport and Exercise, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 329-337, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1249/00005768-198906000-00018 https://doi.org/10.1249/00005768-198906000-00018
- Marsh, H. W., Peart, N. D. Competitive and cooperative physical fitness training program for girls : Effects on physical fitness and multidimensional self-concept. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 10, pp. 390-407, 1988. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.10.4.390 https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.10.4.390
- Fox, K. R. The physical self: Form motivation to well-being. Champaign IL : Human Kinetics, 1997.
- Y. M. Kim, H. W. Han, Influence of Club Leisure Activity on Peer Relationship, Organizational Identification and Life Satisfaction of University Students. Korea Society of leisure & recreation, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 35-46, 2010.
- Bandura, A. Social foundation of thought and action: A social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1986.
- I. H. Yoon, Y. J. Yoon, The Physical Self-concept, Self-efficacy and Stages of Exercise Behavior Change Based on Transtheoretical Model: Comparison Male and Female College Students. Korean Society of Sport and Leisure Studies, 46, pp. 739-750, 2011.
- B. J. Kim, Development and Validation of the Korean Version of the Physical Self - Description Questionnaire (PSDQ). Korean Society of Sport Psychology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 69-90, 2001.
- S. I. Choi, C. H. Chung, B. J. Kim, Development of the Physical Self-Concept Scale for the Youth. Korean Society of Sport Psychology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 169-188, 2005.
- A. Y. Kim, A study on the academic failure - tolerance and its correlates. Society for Education and Psychology Research, vol. 1, no. 2, 1-19, 1997.
- H. R. Kim, Comparison of physical self concept influenced by competition participation of Movement Science majoring students. The Korean Society of Sports Science, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 235-241, 2002.
- Maslow, A. H. Toward a Psychology of Being. New York: D. Van Nostrand Company, 1968.
- S. W. Kim, "A sound mind in a sound body": A historical study of educational thoughts. Philosophy of Education Society of Korea : Philosophy of Education, 32, 5-37, 2007.
- Bandura, A. Perceived Self-Efficacy in Cognitive Development and Functioning, Educational Psychologist, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 117-148, 1993. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep2802_3 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep2802_3
- Bandura, A. Self-efficacy; Toward a unifying theory of behavior change. Psychological Review, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 191-215, 1977. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- U. C. Kim, Tsuda Akira, Y. S. Park, U. Y. Kim, Horiuchi Satoshi, Comparative analysis of stress symptoms and management among Korean and Japanese university students: With a specific focus on the influence of social support networks and self-efficacy. The Korean Association of Human Development, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 139-164, 2009.
- U. C. Kim, C. S. Hong, J. K. Lee, Y. S. Park, Factors influencing health and quality of Life among allergy and asthma patients: With specific focus on self-efficacy, social support and health management. Korean Psychological Association of Culture and Social Issues, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 143-181, 2005.