- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Analysis of the Related Factors to Distinguish High Risk Group of Female Suicidal Attempts
여성의 자살시도 고위험군 선별을 위한 관련요인 분석
- Choi, Hyang Suk (Public Health Administration, Chungbuk Health&Science University) ;
- Heo, Myoung-Lyun (Kunsan College of Nursing) ;
- Kim, Eun-Mi (Doctors course Collage Nursing Euljil University)
- Received : 2017.04.11
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study aims to determine the current status of experiences of suicidal attempts of Korean women and to evaluate related factors and provide basic sources for distinguishing high risk group. The primary data of the 6th period of national health and nutrition survey by KCDC, between 2013 and 2015,wereutilized in this study.Women were selected;general characteristics, psychological characteristics, and relevant information of daily activities were collected. The collected data wereanalyzed by applying the complex sample analysis method,using the SPSS 20.0 program with an application of weighted values. The resultsof this study revealed that 1% of the study population had previously attempted suicide; the suicidal attempts in subjects with prior psychological counselling within 1 year was 5.25 times higher than those without prior counselling.Subjectswith too much stress were 14.92 times more likely to attempt suicide than those without stress. Moreover, subjects with higher-intensity work in daily lives was 4.85 times more likely to attempt suicide than those with less intense work. In addition, subjects who sat for longer period of time was 3.76 times more likely to attempt suicide. All of these were statistically significant. Therefore, these subjects should be considered as high risk for suicidal attempt.In order to prevent female suicide, guidelines that considers the psychological health status and daily activities are required. In addition, it is necessary to approach this issuewith individualized prevention programs as part of social policies.
Women;Suicidal attempts;Acivity;Mental health
- Korean Statistical Information Service. Death statstics in 2015[Internet]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/ups/ups_01List01.jsp?grp_no=1005& pubcode= YD&type=F. 2016.
- Suominen K, Isometsa E, Suokas J, Haukka J, Achte K, Lonnqvist J. Completed suicide after a suicide attempt: a 37-year follow-up study. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2004;161(3): 562-3. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.3.562 https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.3.562
- Kessler RC, Borges G, Walters EE. Prevalence of and risk factors for lifetime suicide attempts in the National Comorbidity Survey. Archives of general psychiatry. 1999;56(7):617-26. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.56.7.617 https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.56.7.617
- Carlson GA, Cantwell DP. Suicidal behavior and depression in children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of child psychiatry. 1982;21(4):361-8. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-7138(09)60939-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-7138(09)60939-0
- Lee G. Factors influencing attempted suicide among adolescents in Korea. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2015;16 (5):3139-47. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3139 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3139
- Powell J, Geddes J, HAWTON K, DEEKS J, GOLDACRE M. Suicide in psychiatric hospital in-patients. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2000;176(3):266-72. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.176.3.266 https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.176.3.266
- Chin YR, Lee HY, So ES. Suicidal ideation and associated factors by sex in Korean adults: a population-based cross-sectional survey. International journal of public health. 2011;56(4):429. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-011-0245-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-011-0245-9
- Borges G, Nock MK, Abad JMH, Hwang I, Sampson NA, Alonso J, et al. Twelve month prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts in the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. The Journal of clinical psychiatry. 2010;71(12):1617. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.08m04967blu https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.08m04967blu
- Bagalkot TR, Park J-I, Kim H-T, Kim H-M, Kim MS, Yoon M-S, et al. Lifetime prevalence of and risk factors for suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in a Korean community sample. Psychiatry. 2014;77(4):360-73. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1521/psyc.2014.77.4.360 https://doi.org/10.1521/psyc.2014.77.4.360
- OECD (2017), Suicide rates (indicator)[Internet]. Available from: doi: 10.1787/a82f3459-en (Accessed on 24 April 2017) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1787/a82f3459-en https://doi.org/10.1787/a82f3459-en
- Kim YT, Kim IS, Ju YS, Lee JY. A Study on the Status of Female Suicide and Policy Agenda. Korean Women's Development Institute. 2009;2009(18):1-222.
- Ko, You S. Factors of Physical Activity and Physical Strength That Affect Indexes of Happiness and SSI of Female University Students. Korean Journal of Sports Science. 2015;24(1) :1371-82.
- Bae S-Y, Yoon H-S, Cho Y-C. Factors related to Suicide Ideation among Middle School Students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2015;16(1):544-54. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.544 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.544
- The sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-3), 2016. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Kim Y, Kang H. Study on variables related to adults' suicidal ideation. Journal of Family Relations. 2011;16(3):45-61.
- Um, Hyun J, Jun, Hey J. Predictive Factors for Mid-aged Male and Female Adults' Suicidal Ideation. Mental Health & Social Work. 2014;42(2):35-62.
- Son, Jehee, Hoe, Maanse. Analysis of the Mediating Effect of Depression between Self-esteem and Suicidal Ideation of Middle-aged Women in Daegu. Social Science Research Review. 2013;29(2):155-78.
- Lee S-Y, Heo M-L. A Study on Factors Affecting Middle-aged Men's Suicidal Ideation. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2015;16(7):4777-85. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4777 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4777
- Kim K, Choi S, Park M, Park S, Ko S, Park H. The effect of family structures and psycho-social factors on suicidal ideation of senior citizens. Journal of Welfare for the Aged. 2011;52:205-28.
- Kim K, Kim J-s, Lee B, Lee E, Ahn Y, Choi M. A study about the factors affecting the suicidal thought in Korean elders. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2010;19(4):391-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.4.391 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.4.391
- Won Guen I, Seong Hye H. Investigation of the Causes of Suicidal Ideation of Persons with Severe Disabilities Living in S-gu-Focusing on Their Daily Activities, Experience of Committing Suicide, and Depression. THE KOREAN JOURNAL OF STRESS RESEARCH. 2014;22(1): 35-42. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.1.35 https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.1.35
- Hyung Tae K, Mi Eun Y, Sung Soo C. The Influence of Adolescents' Cognitive Stress on Their Suicidal Intention: Focusing on Mediating Effect of Physical Activity, Problem Drinking, Cognitive Depression. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2014;31(3):73-81. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.3.73 https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.3.73
- Pyo, Myeong J, Lee, Won J, Kim, Jin H. The Effect of Joining After School Sports Activities on Healing Students at Risk for Depression and Suicidal Thinking. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies. 2014;58(1):55-64.
- Ra, Jin S, Cho, Yoon H. Combined Influence of Screen based Sedentary Behavior and Sleep Duration on Obesity, Depression, and Suicidal ideation in Korean Adolescents. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. 2014;28(2):241-57. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.2.241 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2014.28.2.241
- Lee J, Kang J, Rhie S, Chae KY. Impact of sleep duration on emotional status in adolescents. Journal of the Korean Child Neurology Society. 2013;21(3):100-10.