- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study on the Detection Characteristic of Draft Ice by Thermography System
열화상 시스템에 의한 유빙의 탐지특성에 관한 실험적 연구
- Cho, Yong-Jin (Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Dong-Eui University)
- 조용진 (동의대학교 조선해양공학과)
- Received : 2017.01.19
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
Draft ice in polar regions is formed due to sea level changes and various environmental factors cause damage due to collision with offshore plants and ships for resource development. Drift ice in polar regions is a potential source of accidents for offshore plants that perform long-term operations in one place, as well as on the ship. To prevent accidents with drift ice, offshore plants and ships in polar regions use satellite image information and detection radar to detect drift ice. However, the inability to use visible satellite images at night significantly lowers the detection probability by radar for small drift ice. In this study, we used a thermal imaging system which can be operated day and night for the detection of drift ice, and carried out an experimental study on the detection characteristics of drift ice. To examine the night operation of the thermal imaging system, the experimental condition was set and the thermal image was measured according to the measurement angle change. Under this condition, the correlation was analyzed by theoretical calculating the radiant energy of the drift ice and the sea water.
Draft ice;Detection Characteristics;Emissivity;Irradiance;Thermography system
- Y. M. Yoon, "Assessment of structural safety according to Ice-Hull collision and estimation of the equivalent ice load", M.S Thesis, Chung-nam National University, 2014.
- H. I. Kim, S. H. Jun, "Towing Tank Test assuming the Collision between Ice-going Ship and Ice Floe and Measurement of Ice Floe's Motion using Machine Vision Inspection", Korean Institute of Navigation and Port Research symposium, pp. 33-34, 2015.
- Masahiro Hori, Teruo Aoki, Tomonori Tanikawa, Akihiro Hachikubo, Konosuke Sugiura, Katsuyuki Kuchiki, Masashi Niwano, "Modeling angular-dependent spectral emissivity of snow and ice in the thermal infrared atmospheric window", Journal of the Applied Optics, vol. 52, no. 30, pp. 7243-7255, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.52.007243 https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.52.007243
- T. L. Bergman, F. P. Incropera, D. P. DeWitt and A. S Lavine, "Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer," John Wiley & Sons, pp. 836-853, 2008.
- FLIR System, "Ultimate Infrared Handbook for R&D Professionals," pp. 5-48, 2008.
- Cedip Infrared Systems, "Calibration Procedure," pp. 3-7, 2005.
- F. Reid and E. Rouleau "Description of an infrared signature analysis software, WinISAS," Defence R&D Canada-Valcartier, Technical Report, pp. 4-8, 2002.
- Y. J. Cho, "Study for ship infrared signature measurement result calibration and validation method," Study Report, pp. 26-48, 2009.
- S. T. Yoon, Y.J. Cho, H. S. Jung, "Radiant Energy Filtering to Enhance High Temperature Measurement by a Thermography System" Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 466-473, 2016. https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2016.36.6.466