- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Individual Risk Appraisal and Ability to Control on Information Privacy Concerns in Online Social Network
온라인 소셜네트워크에서 개인의 위험성평가와 자기통제력이 정보보안우려감에 미치는 영향
- Moon, Yun Ji (Department of Management Information Systems, Catholic University of Pusan)
- 문윤지 (부산가톨릭대학교 경영정보학과)
- Received : 2017.02.08
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
Recently, online social networks have become one of the most representative Internet services and are being used increasingly, which allows people to share information and interact with other people. On the other hand, as the use of OSN is increased, there has been an increased incidence where illegally accessed personal information is used wrongfully. Accordingly, privacy has become a key concern by the users. Regarding the construct of information privacy concerns (IPC), this study explored the antecedents of IPC at the individual personal level - risk appraisal and perceived behavioral control - based on Protection Motivation Theory. Hence, the current paper investigated the moderating effect of gender in the relationship between individual characteristics and IPC. The hypothesized research model was examined with 233 questionnaires of OSN users. The results showed that the positive effects of risk appraisal and the negative effects of perceived behavioral control on IPC are supported. In addition, the moderate effects of gender between risk appraisal and IPC is only supported.
Online Social Network;Information Privacy Concerns;Risk Appraisal;Perceived Behavioral Control;Gender
Supported by : 부산가톨릭대학교
- C, Wuest, The Risks of Social Networking, Symantec Corporation, 2010.
- N. F. Awad, M. S. Krishnan, "The Personalization privacy paradox: An empirical Evaluation of information transparency and the willingness to be profiled online for personalization," MIS Quarterly, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 13-28, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148715
- K-L. Huit, H. Hai, S. Y. T. Lee, "The value of privacy assurance: An exploratory field experiment," MIS Quarterly, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 19-33, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148779
- J. Wirtz, M. O. Lwin, J. D. Williams, "Causes and consequences of consumer online privacy concern," International Journal of Service Industry Management, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 326-348, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09564230710778128 https://doi.org/10.1108/09564230710778128
- J-Y. Son, S. S. Kim, "Internet users' information privacy-protective responses: A taxonomy and a nomological model," MIS Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 503-529, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148854
- M. Korzaan, N. Brooks, T. Greer, "Demystifying personality and privacy: An empirical investigation into antecedents of concerns for information privacy," Journal of Behavioral Studies in Business, vol. 1, pp. 1-17, 2009.
- M. Lwin, J. Wirtz, J. D. Williams, "Consumer online privacy concerns and responses: A power-responsibility equilibrium perspective," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 572-585, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-006-0003-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-006-0003-3
- Okazaki S, Li H, Hirose M (2009). Consumer privacy concerns and preference for degree of regulatory control, Journal of Advertising, 38(4):63-77. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2753/JOA0091-3367380405 https://doi.org/10.2753/JOA0091-3367380405
- J. A. Bae, Y. H. Cho, S. S. Kim, E. H. Choi, T. H. Ha, A Study on Measuring the Levels of Perception on Privacy (Protection of Personal Information) by Internet Users and Service Providers, Korea Information Society Development Institute, 2011.
- C. M. Angst, R. Agarwal, "Adoption of electronic health records in the presence of privacy concerns: The elaboration likelihood model and individual persuasion," MIS Quarterly, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 339-370, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650295
- J. B. Earp, A. I. Anton, L. Aiman-Smith, W. H. Stuebeam, "Examining internet privacy policies within the context of user privacy values," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 227-237, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2005.844927 https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2005.844927
- J. J. Smith, S. J. Milberg, S. J. Burke, "Information privacy: Measuring individuals' concerns about organizational practices," MIS Quarterly, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 167-196, 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/249477 https://doi.org/10.2307/249477
- W. Hong, J. Y. Thong, "Internet Privacy concerns: An integrated conceptualization and four empirical studies," MIS Quarterly, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 275-298, 2013. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2013/37.1.12
- J. A. Castaneda, F. J. T. Montoso, "The Dimensionality of customer privacy concern on the Internet," Online Information Review, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 420-439, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/14684520710780395 https://doi.org/10.1108/14684520710780395
- R.S. Laufer, M. Wolfe, "Privacy as a concept and a social issue: A multidimensional development theory," Journal of Social Issues, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 22-42, 1977. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1977.tb01880.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1977.tb01880.x
- T. Buchanan, C. Paine, A.N. Joinson, U-D. Reips, "Development of measures of online privacy concern and protection for use on the Internet," Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 157-165, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20459 https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20459
- Culnan MJ, Williams CC, How ethics can enhance organizational privacy: Lessons from the choicepoint and TJX data breaches, MIS Quarterly, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 673-687, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650322
- K. S. Schwaig, A. H. Segars, V. Grover, K.D. Fiedler, "A model of consumers' perceptions of the invasion of information privacy," Information & Management, vol. 50, pp. 1-12, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2012.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2012.11.002
- D. L. Floyd, S. Prentice-Dunn, R.W. Rogers, "A meta-analysis of research on protection motivation theory," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 407-429, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2000.tb02323.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2000.tb02323.x
- R. W. Rogers, A protection motivation theory of fear appeals and attitude change, Journal of Psychology, 91(1): 93-114, 1975. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1975.9915803 https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1975.9915803
- Y. Li, "Theories in online information privacy research: A critical review and an integrated framework," Decision Support Systems, vol. 54, pp. 471-481, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2012.06.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2012.06.010
- B. Bulgurcu, "Antecedents and outcomes of information privacy concerns in online social networking: A theoretical perspective," Information Systems, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 153-163, 2010.
- B. Debatin, J. P. Lovejoy, A-K. Horn, B. N. Hughes, "Facebook and online privacy: Attitudes, behaviors, and unintended consequences," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 83-108, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2009.01494.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2009.01494.x
- H. Liang, Y. Xue, "Avoidance of information technology threats: A theoretical perspective," MIS Quarterly, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 71-90, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650279
- S. Youn, "Determinants of online privacy concern and its influence on privacy protection behaviors among young adolescents," Journal of Consumer Affairs, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 389-418, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2009.01146.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.2009.01146.x
- J. Fogel, E. Nehmad,. "Internet social network communities: Risk taking, trust, and privacy concerns," Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 153-160, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.08.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.08.006
- J. Phelps, G. Nowak, E. Ferrell, "Privacy concerns and consumer willingness to provide personal information," Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 27-41, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1509/jppm.126.96.36.19941 https://doi.org/10.1509/jppm.188.8.131.5241
- T. Dinev, P. Hart, "Internet privacy concerns and their antecedents -Measurement validity and a regression model," Behavior and Information Technology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 413-422, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290410001715723 https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290410001715723
- P. Ifinedo, "Understanding information systems security policy compliance: An integration of the theory of planned behaviour and the protection motivation theory," Computers & Security, vol. 31, pp. 83-95, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2011.10.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2011.10.007
- G. Torkzadeh, T.P. van Dyke, "Development and validation of an internet self-efficacy scale," Behaviour & Information Technology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 275-280, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290110050293 https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290110050293
- J. L. Tsai, B. Knutson, H.H. Fung, "Cultural variation in affect valuation," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 90, pp. 288-307, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2068 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.118
- J. C. C. Lin, H. Lu, "Towards an understanding of the behavioural intention to use a web site," International Journal of Information Management, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 197-208, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-4012(00)00005-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-4012(00)00005-0
- J.C. Nunnally, Psychometric theory(2nd ed.), New York: McGraw-Hil, 1978.
- S. L. Jarvenpaa, N. Tractinsky, M. Vitale, "Consumer trust in an internet store," Information Technology and Management, vol. 1, no. 1-2, pp. 45-71, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1019104520776 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1019104520776