- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The impacts of Allowance for Doubtful Bank loans on the cost of equity: an empirical study of Korean Banks
은행 대손충당 적립과 자기자본 비용의 관계
- Yoon, Jong-Chul (Department of Accounting, Keimyung University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Wook (Department of Business Administration, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2017.02.09
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
The purpose of the study is to empirically investigate how the higher allowance ratio for bank loans affects the cost of equity using Korean banks from 2002- 2015. First of all, we analyzed the impact of the higher allowance ratio on the cost of equity for Korean banks. Secondly, from the perspective of governance structure, we analyzed the existence of different impacts whether banks were affiliated with financial holding companies. The results showed an increasing impact of higher allowance ratio on the cost of equity for Korean banks. Also, we found these impacts differ whether the banks are affiliated with financial holding companies. The results indicate that the burden of higher allowance ratios for bank loans may provide negative impacts on capital markets. The higher the allowance ratio, which means the greater risk for banks, may help to increase the cost of equity concerning Korean banks.
Allowance;Governance structure;Capital ratio;Cost of equity;Bank industry
Supported by : 서울과학기술대대학교
- Wahlenr, J. M., "The Nature of Information in Commercial Bank Loan Loss Disclosure", The Accounting Review, vol. 69, pp. 455-478, 1994.
- Beaver, W., C. Eger, S. Ryan and M. Wolfson, "Information and Contagion Effects of Bank Loan-Loss Reserve Announcements", Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 27, pp. 157-178, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2491230 https://doi.org/10.2307/2491230
- Docking, D. S., M. Hirschey and E. Jones, "Information and Contagion Effects of Bank Loan-Loss Reserve Announcements", Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 43, pp. 219-239, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(96)00895-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(96)00895-1
- Choi, H., "Discretionary Loan Loss Provisioning by Korean Commercial Banks and Stock Price Response", Korea Security Association, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 35-70, 2003.
- Nam, J., Y. Lee, and S. Won, "The Estimation of the Cost of Capital and Analysis on the Productivity Gap and the Determinant of Productivity Gap in the Bank Industry", Korea Economic Research Institute, vol. 17, 2001.
- Toader, O. "Estimating the impact of higher capital requirements on the cost of equity: an empirical study of European banks", International Economics and Economic Policy, vol. 12, pp. 411-436, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10368-014-0303-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s10368-014-0303-x
- Poshakwale, S., J. K. Courtis, "Disclosure level and cost of equity capital: evidence from the banking industry", Managerial and Decision Economics, vol. 26, pp. 431-444, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.1256 https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.1256
- Jung, H., H. Lee, K. Lee., "The Effect of Conversion to Holding Company on Estimated Cost of Equity" Accounting information review. vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 107-140.
- Gode, D. P. Mohanram, "Inferring the Cost of Capital Using the Ohlson-Juettner Model", Review of Accounting Studies, vol. 84, 2003, pp. 399-431. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1027378728141 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1027378728141
- Lee, M., H. Shin., "Voluntary Disclosure and Cost of capital", Accounting information review, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1-23, 2010.