- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Medical Service Utilization of Disabled
장애인의 의료이용에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Hwang, Hong-Gu (Department of Health Service Management, Kyungwoon University) ;
- Jung, Hyun-Sik (Department of Health Administration, Pohang University)
- Received : 2016.12.05
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This article examined the condition of medical service utilization and the usage degree for the disabled in Korea, and analyzed factors affecting medical service utilization. This paper offers data for improving the health of disabled Korea residents and for enhancing medical service utilization. We analyzed data for disabled residents aged 19 from the 6th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Results found significant effects depending on gender, age, average monthly income, types of disorders, disability rating, and status of smoking. Concerning gender, men had a higher probability of lacking medical treatment compared with women, had increased probability of having a disability, and smokers had a higher probability of lacking treatment compared with nonsmokers. Therefore, for resolving medically untreated disabled Korean residents, government needs to improve the policy system and to managethe inequality of handicapped welfare work.
Disabled;Disabled Medical;Disabled Untreated;Medical Service
Supported by : 경운대학교
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Health and Welfare Statistics, Social Welfare: Survey on the Disabled 2014 [cited 2016 October 12] http://data.kihasa.re.kr/db/subjectview.jsp?grp_seq=64&project_seq=321
- Employment Development Institute, Disabled statistics 2015 [cited 2016 October 3]. https://www.kead.or.kr/webzine/ibook/ttsbook/stakead2015/book.html
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease, 2014 Survey of Disabled. 2015.
- M. J. Bae, S. H. Hwang, S. A. Kim, J. Y. Lee, J. A. Yoon, J. H. Park, S. H. Urm, B. C. Yu, "Related factors of oral health-related quality of life in the severely disabled people", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol.15, No.3 pp. 461-475, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.461 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.461
- S. H. Kim, S. A. Lim, S. J. Park, D. K. Kim, "Assessment oral health-related quality of life using the oral health impact profile (OHIP)", J Korean Acad Oral Health, Vol.28, pp. 559-569, 2004.
- B. Y. Jeon, S. M. Kwon, "Access Barriers To Health Care Among Persons With Physical Disabilities: Using Three Reasons For Unmet Need As Indicators Of Access", J Korean Social Security Association, Vol.31, No.3 pp. 145-171, 2015.
- G. L. Krahn, L. Hammond, A. Turner, "A cascade of disparities: Health and health care access for people with intellectual disabilities", Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, Vol.12, pp. 70-82, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/mrdd.20098 https://doi.org/10.1002/mrdd.20098
- K. V. P. Booth, "Health disparities and intellectual disabilities: Lessons from individuals with down syndrome", Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, Vol.17, pp. 32-35, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ddrr.136 https://doi.org/10.1002/ddrr.136
- G. L. Krahn, M. H. Fox, "Health disparities of adults with intellectual disabilities: What do we know? what do we do?", Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, Vol.27, pp. 431-446, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12067 https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12067
- G. L. Krahn, D. K. Walker, R. Correa-De-Araujo, "Persons with disabilities as an unrecognized health disparity population", American Journal of Public Health, Vol.105, pp. 198-206, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302182 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302182
- B. Marks, J. Sisirak, K. Hsieh, "Health services, health promotion, and health literacy: Report from the state of the science in aging and developmental disabilities conference", Disability and Health Journal, Vol.1, pp. 136-142, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2008.04.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2008.04.003
- B. C. Choi, Y. R. Kim, "Parents' perspectives on current status and support needs towards health.medical services for children with severe brain lesions", Korean Journal of Physical, Multiple & Health Disabilities, Vol.58, No.3, pp. 111-136, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20971/kcpmd.2015.58.3.111 https://doi.org/10.20971/kcpmd.2015.58.3.111
- S. H. Kim, Y. H. Lee, J. H. Hwang, M. Oh, M. K. Lee, D. W. Kang, S. W. Lee, "2014 Survey of the Disabled", Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2014.
- K. Y. Kim, Y. S. Lee, K. S. Park, J. H. Son, S. Kam, B. Y. Chun, J. Y. Park, M. H. Yeh, "Oh the determinants of health care utilization of the physically disabled", Korean Journal of Preventive Medicine, Vol.31, No.2, pp. 323-334, 1998.
- D. Y. Kim, "Sociodemographic characteristics and desire analysis of education and welfare for the physically disabled persons", Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 51-78, 2014.
- D. Y. Kim, "Sociodemographic characteristics and needs analysis of education and welfare for the people with visual impairment" The Korean Journal of Visual Impairment, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 115-137, 2014.
- K. I. Lee, I. S. Kim, B. K. Kang, "A study on the improvement of facilities for the physically disabled in medical facilities: Focused on the OPD in general hospital", Korean Journal of Architectural, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 111-114, 2003.
- C. Y. Park, "An Analysis of Spatial Accessibility to Dental Institutions of the Disabled by Region: Metropolis, Small and Medium-sized City, and Rural Area", J Geography Education, Vol.58, pp. 33-45, 2014.
- Y. M. Kang, S. G. Hong, H. M. Lee, Y. S. Cha, "Website Accessibility Evaluation of the Welfare Centers for the Disabled", J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society Vol.12, No.11, pp.5260-5271, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.5260 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.5260
- S. Y. Yu, Y. S. Kim, H. S. Hong, M. K. Cheon, J. A. Mo, "Determinants of untreated experiences among persons with physical disability", Korean J. of Health Policy & Administration, Vol.21, No.4, pp.565-584, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2011.21.4.565 https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2011.21.4.565
- M. H. Hong, "Relationships of Obesity, Total-Cholesterol, Hypertension and Hyperglycemia in Health Examinees with Disabilities", J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society Vol.17, No.10, pp.591-599, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.591 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.591
- H. S. Lee, G. S. Ha, "A study on the factors influencing the satisfaction of life of disabled children parents", J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society Vol.16, No.11, pp.8046-8056, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.8046 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.8046
- S. Y. Lee, J. S. Lee, "Factors Affecting the Life Satisfaction of the Mentally Ill People in Mental Care Facilities", J Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No.3, pp.231-239, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.231 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.231
- J. H. Lee, "A study on the determinants that affect life satisfaction of the disabled", J Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.1, pp.503-514, 2014.
- J. H. Min, H. J. Han, "A Study on Effects of the Convergence of musculoskeletal disorders Women with Disabilities on Quality of life in Jeon-nam Area", J Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No.9, pp.497-504, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.497 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.9.497
- K. L. Lee, S. H. Ryu, "An Anaysis of current Facilities for the Physically Disabled in Hospital", International Conference on Convergence Technology, Vol.6, No.1, pp.35-41, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15207/jkcs.2015.6.1.035 https://doi.org/10.15207/jkcs.2015.6.1.035
- W. H. Kim, B. J. Seo, J. M. Lee, "A Study on the Parents' Recognition of School Enterprise Convergence by Type of Disability", International Conference on Convergence Technology, Vol.6, No.4, pp.89-97, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15207/jkcs.2015.6.4.089 https://doi.org/10.15207/jkcs.2015.6.4.089
- D. W. Kim, "Wheelchair tennis has ever fusion of classroom participation of the physically disabled basic psychological needs and exercise emotional and exercise commitment", International Conference on Convergence Technology, Vol.6, No.4, pp.15-23, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15207/jkcs.2015.6.4.015 https://doi.org/10.15207/jkcs.2015.6.4.015
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, The fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES V-6), Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2014.
- J. X. Nie, L. Wang, S. Tracy, R. Moineddin, R. E. Upshur, "Health care service utilization among the elderly: Findings from the study to understand the chronic condition experience of the elderly and the disabled" Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, Vol.14, pp. 1044-1049, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2008.00952.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2008.00952.x
- A. J. Caban-Martinez, D. J. Lee, L. E. Fleming, "Dental care access and unmet dental care needs among U.S. workers", J Am Dent Assoc, Vol.138, pp. 227-230, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2007.0141 https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2007.0141
- T. Ohi, M. Sai, M. Kikuchi, "Determinants of the utilization of dental services in a community-dwelling elderly Japanese population", Tohoku J Exp, Vol.281, pp. 241-249, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.218.241 https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.218.241
- H. S. Kim, E. Ahn, M. Y. Kim, S. M. Kim, H. Shin, Trends of household income and dental care spending. Journal of The Korean Acad Oral Health, Vol.38, pp. 17-24, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.1.17 https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.1.17
- L. A. Lindamer, L. Liu, D. H. Sommerfeld, D. P. Folsom, W. Hawthorne, P. Garcia, G. A. Aarons, D. V. Jeste, "Predisposing, Enabling, and Need Factors Associated with High Service Use in a Public Mental Health System", Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, Vol.39, No.3, pp. 200-209, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-011-0350-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-011-0350-3