- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Organic Composition Principles and Operating System of Ancient Battle Formation in the Late Joseon Dynasty
조선후기 군사 전술의 진법(陣法) 구성과 운영체계 분석
- Kwon, Byung-Woong (Graduate School of Arts, Chung Ang University)
- 권병웅 (중앙대학교 예술대학원)
- Received : 2017.03.30
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This Research is focused on ancient battle formation basing on the layout drawing of Yijinchongbang (manuals of learning military formations) in a strategy book in the late Joseon dynasty. The research topic is the principles of organic composition of battle formation and battlefield operating system by reforming the basic model of ancient battle formation. The research method is comparative analysis by reforming the battlefield operating system of types of disposition such as Obangjindisposition(Bangnjin; battle formation, Jikjin; direct battle formation, Gokjin; bend battle formation, Wonjin; round battle formation, and Yejin; keen battle formation), and Hyunmoojindo; turtle battle formation, Paljindo; all-rounder battle formation, Yookhwajindo; six flowers battle formation, Gugunjindo; nine forms battle formation. From the study results, Standoff Bombing of the battle formation in the late Joseon Dynasty basically started out from magic battle formation, but was then transformed into square, rectangle, pentagon, and circle. Also, the battle array composition used a 5-linear structure and was composed of 5 systems of circulation such as rectangle, square, diagonal, curve, and circle. The research findings elucidate the battlefield of the Joseon dynasty by establishing the real battle formation, and thus have military and academic value in suggesting possible tactics that can be used by modern training of military.
battle formation;ancient disposition;battlefield operating system;principles of organic disposition;battle array composition
- Cha-dae, HA. Advances in Military Policy and Military Maneuver Manuals in Early Joseon. (Military History Vol. 19), 1989.
- Young-koo, ROH. Analysis of Military Texts and Strategies in Late Joseon, Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul Nat'l University, 2002.
- Eulpyo, HONG. Qi Ji-guang's Yuanyangzhen in the later Ming Dynasty and the principle of the Baizhen. Military History Vol. 84, 2012.
- Gwang-ja, PARK. Study of the Layout for Chinese and Korean Court Music in the Canon of Music. (Woosuk University Masters' Thesis), 2002.
- Deok-won, CHOI. An Essay on Nong-ak(the Instrumental Music of Peasants) in Nam-do (Suncheon University Research Articles Collection, Vol. 5), 1986.
- Gyeong-man, CHO. Body, Dance and Pungmul as Expressions of Social Being and Social Relation, The Journal of DSDH, Vol. 15), 2008.
- Byung-woong, KWON / Young-koo, ROH. The Study of the Early Joseon Era's Battle Formation for the Restoration of Cultural Archetype : Based upon Bird Cloud Battle Formation, The Korean Journal of Dance Studies, Vol. 49, 2014.
- Young-koo, ROH. Restoration of 'Formation Maneuvers of the Five Commands' and Royal Inspection Training Protocols (Documents and Interpretation, Vol. 13, 2000.
- Dong-joon, KIM. Index of Korean Publications in the Jangseogak Archives - Military, Academy of Korean Studies, Seongnam, pp. 356-358, 1993.
- The Handbook of State Affairs, Military Administration Chapter, Training Corps, Troop Numbers
Young-koo, ROH. Byonghakjinam' - The Guide to Military Matters, the Essential Manual for Military Training in Late Joseon,
, , pp. 218-291, 2000
- Young-koo, ROH. Study of Military Texts and Strategies in Late Joseon. (Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul Nat'l University) pp. 196-200, 2002.
- Veritable Records of the Joseon Dynasty. Records of King Yeongjo (12th Year of King Yeongjo, February, Jeongchuk Day), Vol. 41.
- Records of the Border Defense Council Book 99, (12th Year of King Yeong-jo, Lunar May 3rd)
- Gwang-su, KIM. Analysis of Military Formations by Jeong Do-jon (MIlitary Academy Research Articles Collection Vol. 50), 1996.
- KIM, Dong-gyeong. Transformation of the Military Tradition in the Early Joseon Dynasty and Military Training of the Jinbeop, Military History Vol.74, 2010.
- Young-koo, ROH. Study of Military Texts and Strategies in Late Joseon, Seoul. Ge-mool Publishers, 2016.
- Son-suk, SOHN. A Study on Records of Jeongjae Dance Carried in Akhak Guebeom, The Journal of DSDH, Vol. 11, 2006.
- Yoon-seon SEONG/ Soshim, BAE. The Study on the Interrelationship between Poongmool-goot and Battle Formations, The Journal of DSDH, Vol. 17, 2009.
- Bi-han, CHEN. "Jumping Drum Dancing" in Taiwan, Journal of Korean Dance History, Vol. 13, 2012.