- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Awareness of Emotional Labor of Nursing College Students in Graduation Year
졸업학년 간호대학생의 감정노동에 대한 인식
- Yeom, Eun-Yi (Department of Nursing, Chungwoon University)
- 염은이 (청운대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.01.19
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
The aim of this study was to understand and describe the awareness of the emotional labor of nursing college students in a graduation year. The participants were eleven students in nursing colleges. The data were collected from September 5, 2016 to November 25 through in-depth interviews until it was saturated. All interviews were recorded and transcribed as they were spoken. Colaizzi's phenomenological method was used for data analysis. In this study, twenty-one themes, ten theme clusters and five categories were generated. The five categories consisted of 'Confused by irrational circumstances,' 'Skepticism on nursing occupation,' 'Empathy for the nurse's difficult situation,' 'Learning nurses' words and behavior', and 'Preparing for the future.' These results will contribute to the qualitative improvement of nursing practice education by providing the grounds for an effective educational strategy development that manages the emotional labor of Nursing students from clinical practice. In-depth studies on the experience of nursing students' emotional labor and studies on various factors affecting the awareness of emotional labor in nursing students and problems will be required.
- J. J. Yang, "Nurses' image perceived by student nurses before and after their first clinical practice", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 64-72, 2003.
- A. Loofmark, K. Wikblad, "Facilitating and obstructing factors for development of learning in clinical practice: A student perspective", Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 43-50, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.3411739.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.3411739.x
- H. M. Son, "Analysis of positioning in the nursing students' narrative of the experiences of clinical practice", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 129-137, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.129 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.129
- J. S. Kim, J. J. Sun, H. S. Kim, "Clinical Practice Experiences of Nursing Students", Journal of Qualitative Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 63-76, 2009.
- N. S. Ha, K. S. Han, J. Choi, "The relationship of perceived stress, ways of coping, and stress response of nursing students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 358-368, 1998. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19220.127.116.118
- V. Zamanzadeh, L. Valizadeh, L. Sayadi, F. Taleghani, F. Howard, A. Jeddian, "Emotional labour of caring for homatopoietic stem cell transplantation patients: Iranian nurses' experiences", Asian Nursing Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 91-97, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2013.04.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2013.04.004
- S. G. Han, "A study on the occupational characteristics of emotional labor in korea", Journal of Labor Research, vol. 32, pp. 5-27, 2016.
- Y. S. Kim, E. Y. Chung, J. N. Kim, Y. J. Seo, "The effect of emotional labor on job stress, burnout and job satisfaction of hospital nurses", Korean Public Health Research, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 75-88, 2014.
- M. A. Lee, E. J. Kim, "Influences of hospital nurses' perceived reciprocity and emotional labor on quality of nursing service and intent to leave", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 364-374, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.3.364 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.3.364
- J. H. Park, S. K. Chung, "Influence of emotional labor, communication competence and resilience on nursing performance in university hospital nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 618-628, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.236 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.236
- A. A. Grandey, "Emotion regulation in the workplace: A new way to conceptualize emotional labor", Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 95-110, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1076-8918.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-8922.214.171.124
- S. Y. Kang, "Impact of nursing students' emotional labor on burnout during nursing practice in a hospital: Moderating effect of emotional intelligence", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 77-87, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.77 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.1.77
- G. Msiska, P. Smith, T. Fawcett, "Exposing emotional labour experienced by nursing students during their clinical learning experience: A Malawian perspective", International Journal of Africa Nursing Sciences, vol. 1, pp. 43-50, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijans.2014.07.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijans.2014.07.001
- K. Jack, C. Wibberley, "The meaning of emotion work to student nurses: A Heideggerian analysis", International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 900-907, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.009
- M. H. Nam, H. O. Kim, "Relations between clinical practice emotional labor, self esteem and major satisfaction of among nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 263-273, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.263 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.263
- M. H. Nam, M. R. Lee, "The effect of emotional labor of clinical practice, self-esteem and clinical practice satisfaction on professional identity in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 527-536, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.527 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.527
- D. Arieli, "Emotional Work and Diversity in Clinical Placements of Nursing Students", Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 192-201, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12020 https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12020
- H. L. Lai, T. C. Peng, F. M. Chang, "Factors associated with career decision in Taiwanese nursing students: A questionnaire survey", International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 581-588, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.07.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.07.012
- G. L. Kim, H. J. Lee, Y. S. Cho, M. H. Kim, "The experience of turnover decision making in new graduate nurses", Journal of Qualitative Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 23-33, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.23 https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.23
- B. M. Im, J. M. Park, M. J. Kim, S. Y. Kim, J. H. Maeng, L. L. Lee, K. A. Kang, "A phenomenological study on the turnover experience of novice nurses working in general hospital", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 313-322, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.4.313 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.4.313
- P. E. Colaizzi, Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it existential phenomenological alternative for psychology, New York: Oxford University Press, 1978.
- Y. S. Licoln, E. G. Guba, Effective Evaluation(4th ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 1985.
- M. R. Song, K. J. Park, "Emotional labor experienced by ambulatory care nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 451-461, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.451 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.451
- J. H. Noh, Y. K. Na, "Effects of violence experience, emotional labor, and job stress on clinical nurses' depression", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 153-161, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.153 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.3.153
- M. J. Kang, I. S. Park, "Types of violence and coping methods experienced by general hospital nurse", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 92-104, 2015.
- A. Kvas, J. Seljak, "Unreported workplace violence in nursing", International Nursing Review, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 344-351, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/inr.12106 https://doi.org/10.1111/inr.12106
- E. H. Ha, J. Y. Cho, "Coping styles toward hospital violence in clinical nurses: An application of Q methodology", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 263-274, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.3.263 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.3.263
- ICN. Position Statement; Abuse and violence against nursing personnel Internet]. Geneva: ICN;2006[cited 2013 February 14]. Available from: http://www.icn.ch/images/stories/documents/publications/position_statements/C01_Abuse_Violence_Nsg_Personnel. pdf.
- J. H. Kim, J. S. Lee, "The experience of clinical nurses' interpersonal conflict", Journal of Qualitative Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 70-80, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.70 https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.70
- K. M. Lim, E. J. Jo, "Influence of satisfaction with clinical practice and image of nurses on nursing professionalism of nursing students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 556-566, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.556 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.556
- S. S. Hong, M. J. Park, "The effects of clinical practice stress and helplessness on nursing professionalism among nursing students", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 369-377, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.12.369
- H. Y. Lee, H. S. Lim, M. Y. Kim, "The clinical practice of newly graduated nurses who are resigned", Journal of Qualitative Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 36-48, 2011.
- J. D. Brammer, "RN as gatekeeper: gatekeeping as monitoring and supervision", Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 17, no. 14, pp. 1868-1876, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02376.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02376.x
- J. Y. Lee, H. R. Nam, "Effects of work environment, organizational culture and demands at Work on emotional labor in nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 119-128, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.119 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.119
- R. A. Day, P. A. Field, I. E. Campbell, L. Reutter, "Students' evolving beliefs about nursing: From entry to graduation in a four-year baccalaureate programme", Nurse Education Today, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 636-643, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.09.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.09.003
- C. Cooper, L. B. Taft, M. Thelen, "Preparing for practice: Students' reflections on their final clinical experience", Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 293-302, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.07.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.07.002
- B. H. Kong, "A Philosophical inquiry into caring in nursing-Based on ricoeur"s narrative ethics", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1333-1342, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.7.1333
- C. M. Brotheridge, A. A. Grandey, "Emotional labor and burnout: Comparing two perspectives of people work", Journal of Vocational Behavior, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 17-39, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815 https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815