- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Awareness of Healthcare Accreditation, Job Stress and Organizational Commitment on Turnover Intention of Small and Medium sized Hospital Nurses.
중소병원 간호사의 의료기관인증제 인식 및 직무스트레스, 조직몰입이 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Choi, In (Department of Nursing, Sahmyook University) ;
- Hwang, Hye Min (Department of Nursing, Bu-Cheon University) ;
- Kim, Juok (Department of Nursing, Bu-Cheon University)
- Received : 2017.01.19
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study examined the awareness of the healthcare accreditation system, job stress, organizational commitment, and the turnover intention to determine the effects of these factors on the turnover intention of small and medium sized hospitals. A total of 202 nurses who worked in hospitals with less than 500 beds located in Gyeonggi-do, participated in this study. Questionnaires were given to the nurses who experienced healthcare accreditation, and data were collected between 1 December 2015 and 30 March 2016. As a result, the factors and general characteristics, influencing the turnover intention were found to be age (F=4.68, p<.001), marital condition (F=3.92, p<.001), and department of work (F=3.23, p<.008). The turnover intention was negatively correlated with the awareness of the healthcare accreditation system (r=-.46, p<.001) and nursing organizational commitment(r=-.35, p<.001), but positively correlated with the job stress (r=.21, p=.002). Regression analysis showed that the turnover intention of nurses from small and medium sized hospitals had 22.0% on the organizational commitment, department type, and job stress. Therefore, to decrease the nurses' the turnover intention, managers of small and medium sized hospitals need to draw up measures to support job involvement and policy improvement. The results also showed the difference in turnover intention according to the department type. Accordingly, there is a need for a differentiated approach according to the department of work, such as a special unit, ward, and outpatient department.
Healthcare accreditation system;Job stress;Organizational commitment;Turnover intention
- H. H. Paek., H. S. Lee., "Comparative Analysis of Job Stress, Job Satisfaction and the Effects of Medical Services among Hospital Employees According to the Hospital Accreditation System", Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 259-272, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2016.08.10.4.259 https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2016.08.10.4.259
- H. S. Lee., Y. J. Lee., "Impact of Health Care Accreditation on the Effect of Hospital Management and the Improvement of Medical Service: comparison between accredited and nonaccredited hospitals", Social Science Research Review, vol. 31, no. 2, 235-259, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18859/ssrr.2015.05.31.2.235 https://doi.org/10.18859/ssrr.2015.05.31.2.235
- H. K. Ho., I. S. Hwang., "Korean Healthcare Accreditation Perspectives", Journal of Korean Society of Quality Assurance in Health Care, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1-14, 2012.
- Y. R. Yeon., "The impact of healthcare accreditation on patient safety and quality, job satisfaction and organizational commitment: about a general hospital" Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1820-1829, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1820 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1820
- M. S. Yoo., M. S. Chung, "The Relationships among the Perception of Quality Assurance and National Hospital Evaluation Program and Nursing Performance of Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 14, no. 3, 260-267, 2008.
- M. S. Yi., J. H. Oh., H. M. Hwang., E. J. Kwon., J. H. Lee., E. Y. Park., "Hospital Workers' Experience with Hospital Evaluation Program : A Focus Group Study", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 41, no. 4, pp.568-579, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.568 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.568
- W. H. Mobley., "Emplyee turnover: Causes, consequences, and control, Reading, Mass, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. 10-11, 1982.
- J. K. Kim., M. J. Kim., "A Review of Research on Hospital Nurses' Turnover Intention", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 17, no. 4, pp.538-550, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.538 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.538
- M. Soon., H. S. Kim., Y. J. Ha., E. A. Kim., H. Y. Kim., H. J. Kim., Y. J. Kim., " The Controlling Effect of the Self-efficacy in the Job Stress of Hospital Nurse on Job Satisfaction, Turnover Intention", Korean Journal of Business Administraion, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1-21, 2011.
- H. J. Choi., E. J. Lee., "Mediation Effect of Job Satisfaction between Internal Marketing and Organizational Commitment of Nurses in Small and Medium-sized Hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 329-337, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.329 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.329
- J. Cohen., Statistical power analysis for the behavioral science (2nd ed). NewYork: Academic Press. 1988.
- M. J. Kim., "Perception of the Healthcare Accreditation, Job Stress and factors affecting Turnover Intention of Hospital Nurses", Mater's thesis, Gachon University, 2014.
- M. J. Kim., M. O. Gu., "The Development of the Stress Measurement Tool for Staff Nurses working in the Hospital", Journal of Korean academy of nursing, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 28-37, 1984.
- J. H. Ju., "ER Nurses's Job Stress Main Factors Influencing on the Organizational Effectiveness", Mater's thesis, Kyunghee University, 2009.
- M. J. Allen., J. P. Meyer., "Commitment to Organizations and Occupations: Extension and Test of a Three-Component Conceptualization", Journal of Applied Psychology, vol. 78, no. 4, pp.538-551, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037//0021-9010.78.4.538
- M. R. Kim., "Influential Factors on Turnover Intention of Nurses: The affect of nurse's organizational commitment and career commitment to turnover intention", Ewha Womans University, 2007.
- W. H. Mobley., "Employee Turnover: Causes, Consequences, and Control.", Addison-Wesley Publishing Co, 1982.
- Y. S. Kim., K. Y. Park., "Nurses' Awareness on Healthcare Accreditation, Work Overload, and Professional Self-concept and their Influencing Activities of Patient Safety Management among Nurses", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 3377-3392, 2014.
- J. S. Choi., S. M. Park., "Comparison of Job Stress, Hardness, and Burnout of Nurses between Advanced general Hospitals and general Hospitals" Journal of Korea Contents Association, vol. 12, no. 3, 251-259, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.03.251 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.03.251
- M. J. Lee., M. G. Choi., "Difference of Conflict Levels of Nurses and Nurse-aids against Doctors", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 4844-4851. 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.4844 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.4844
- Y. S. Choi., "Nursing professionalism, Job satisfaction and Turnover intention of nurses in small and medium-sized hospitals", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2695-2702, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2695 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2695
- S. H. Kim., M. A. Lee., Effects of Emotional Labor and Communication Competence on Turnover Intention in Nurses", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 333-342, 2014.
- S. Y. Lee., E. J. Oh., K. M. Sung., "The Experiences of Turnover Intention in Early Stage Nurses", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 168-176, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.168 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.168
- Y. H. Heo., J. A. Park., "Perception related to the Healthcare Accreditation Effects on Turnover Intention and Job Stress of employees' Quality Improvement Department", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 659-669, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.659 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.659
- M. O. Lee., "Study of Coping Strategies, Job Satisfaction, and Turnover Intention between General Ward Nurses and Special Ward Nurses", Mater's thesis, Gacheon University, 2006.