- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A New Congestion Control Algorithm for Vehicle to Vehicle Safety Communications
차량 안전 통신을 위한 새로운 혼잡 제어 알고리즘 제안
- Yi, Wonjae (Defense Agency for Technology and Quality)
- 이원재 (국방기술품질원)
- Received : 2017.01.23
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
Vehicular safety service reduces traffic accidents and traffic congestion by informing drivers in advance of threats that may occur while driving using vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications in a wireless environment. For vehicle safety services, every vehicle must broadcasts a Basic Safety Message(BSM) periodically. In congested traffic areas, however, network congestion can easily happen, reduce the message delivery ratio, increase end-to-end delay and destabilize vehicular safety service system. In this paper, to solve the network congestion problem in vehicle safety communications, we approximate the relationship between channel busy ratio and the number of vehicles and use it to estimate the total network congestion. We propose a new context-aware transmit power control algorithm which controls the transmission power based on total network congestion. The performance of the proposed algorithm is evaluated using Qualnet, a network simulator. As a result, the estimation of total network congestion is accurately approximated except in specific scenarios, and the packet error rate in vehicle safety communication is reduced through transmit power control.
Congestion Control;Context Awareness;Transmit Power Control;Vehicular Safety Applications;V2X Communication
- IHS, "Shouldering the load: militaries look to unmanned beasts of burden", Jane's International Defence Review, http://janes.ihs.com, 2016.
- Hanbyeog Cho, "Implementation and standard of ITS / Telematics service using inter-vehicle communication", The Korean Institute of Communications and information Science, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 69-73, 2008.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Vehicle Safety communications - Applications (VSC-A) Final Report:Appendix Volume 1 System Design and Objective Test, https://www.nhtsa.gov, 2011.
- Yu-Chee TsengSze-Yao NiYuh-Shyan ChenJang-Ping Sheu, "The Broadcast Storm Problem in a Mobile Ad Hoc Network", Wireless Networks, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 153-67, Mar. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013763825347
- Torrent-Moreno M., Mittag J., Santi P., Hartenstein P., "Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication: Fair Transmit Power Control for Safety-Critical Information," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 3684-3703, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2009.2017545 https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2009.2017545
- C. Khorakhun, H. Busche, and H. Rohling. Congestion Control for VANETs based on Power or Rate Adaptation. In 5th Int'l Workshop on Intelligent Transportation (WIT), 2008.
- Chen Q., Schmidt-Eisenlohr F., Jiang D., Torrent-Moreno M., Delgrossi L., Hartenstein H., "Overhaul of IEEE 802.11 Modeling and Simulation in NS-2," Proc. of the ACMMSWiM, pp. 159-168, Oct. 2007 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/1298126.1298155 https://doi.org/10.1145/1298126.1298155
- Doojin Um, Songnan Bai, Jaeil Jung, "Performance analysis of Contention-based Broadcast Schemes for Vehicular Safety Applications in Vehicular Ad hoc Networks," KSAE Conference, 2009.
- Kenny J. B., "Dedicated Short-Range Communications (DSRC) Standards in the United States," Proc. of the IEEE, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 1162-1182, Jul. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2011.2132790 https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2011.2132790
- Songnan Bai, Junho Oh, Jae-il Jung, "Context awareness beacon scheduling scheme for congestion control in vehicle to vehicle safety commuication," Ad Hoc Networks, pp. 2049-2058, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2012.02.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2012.02.014