- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of elderly people's Frail prevention program on subjective health status, depression, physical fitness and quality of life for in Senior Center Participation of the Elderly
노인 허약 예방프로그램이 경로당 이용 노인의 주관적 건강상태, 우울, 체력 및 삶의 질에 미치는 효과
- Chang, Koung-Oh (Department of Nursing Science, Youngsan University)
- 장경오 (영산대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.01.23
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
This study examined the effects of elderly people's frail prevention program performed in a senior center located in J-si. The most interesting were the effects on the subjective health status, depression, physical fitness, and quality of life for the senior center participation of the elderly. The nonequivalent control group pre-post-test design was employed. A total of 43 people living in J-si were assigned to either the experimental group (n=22) or control group (n=21). The experimental group was provided with the 8-weeks frail elderly prevention program from September 1 to October 16 in 2015. The data were analyzed with SPSS/WIN 21.0 using descriptive statistics,
Frail elderly prevention program;Subjective health status;Depression;Physical fitness;Quality of life
Supported by : 영산대학교
- Statistics Korea. 2013 elderly statistics [Internet]. Seoul: Statistics Korea. 2013 [cited 2014 October 20]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr
- S. J Koh. "Calculation of healthy life expectancy in Korea [Internet]. Seoul: Health & Welfare Issue & Focus Korea Institute For Health And Social Affairs. 2014 [cited 2014 November 7]. Available from: http://www.kihasa.re.kr/html/jsp/publication/periodical/focus/list.jsp
- Ministry of Health and Welfare.[cited 2014 November 7]. Available from: http://www.bokjiro.go.kr/cmm/fms/FileDown.do?atchFileId=5902918
- K. H. Jeon, Y. H. Oh, Y. K. Lee, C. K. Sohn, B. M, Baek, S. Y. Lee et al. 2011 elderly survey [Internet]. Seoul: Health & Welfare Issue & Focus Korea Institute For Health And Social Affairs. 2012.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. "In 2008, the actual living condition and investigation-basic welfare needs analysis report for the elderly national investigation", 2009.
- R. M. Collard, H. Boter, R. A. Schoevers, R. C. Oude Voshaar, " Prevalence of frailty in community- dwelling older persons: a systematic review", J Am Geriatr Soc, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 1487-1492, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.04054.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.04054.x
- L. P. Fried, J. Walston. Frailty and failure to thrive. In: W. R. Hazzard, J. P. Blas,s, J. B. Halte,r, J. G. Ouslander, M. E. Tinetti. Principles of Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology, 5th Ed. Mc Graw Hill, 2003.
- N. Ahmed, R. Mandel, M. J. Fain, "Frailty: an emerging geriatric syndrome", Am J Med, vol. 120, no. 9, pp. 748-753, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2006.10.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2006.10.018
- S. H. Shin, H. S. Kim. "The intervention effects of the Clean Diet program on the health promotion attitudes and the physiological indices of an elderly", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 495-509, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.495 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.495
- C. Tannenbaum, "How to treat the frail elderly: The challenge of multimorbidity and polypharmacy", Can Urol Assoc J, pp. 7(9-10 Suppl 4):S185-5, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5489/cuaj.1619 https://doi.org/10.5489/cuaj.1619
- F. Lally, P. Crome, "Understanding Frailty", Postgrad Med J, vol. 83, no. 975, pp. 16-20, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2006.048587 https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2006.048587
- J. H. Back, S. K. Hyun, "He study of health-related behaviors on quality of life in the elderly" Journal of coaching development", vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 13-24, 2005.
- J. S. Park, Y. J Oh. "The effect of a heath promotion program in rural elderly on health promotion lifestyle and health status", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35, pp. 943-954, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.5.943
- M. S. Lee, "Chronic diseases, depressive symptoms and the effects of social networks in korean elderly population", Korean Association of Health and Medical Sociology, 27, pp. 5-30, 2010.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. In 2014, [cited 2015 March 31]. the Actual Living Condition and Investigation-basic welfare needs analysis report for the Elderly national investigation", 2015. http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/sch/index.jsp
- S. M. Kwon, J. S. Park. "The effect of health promotion program for frail elderly residents on health promoting behavior and health status", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 194-206, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.1.194 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.2.194
- M. O. Gu, Y. Eun, E. S. Kim, H. R. Ahn, I. S. Kwon, H. S. Oh, Y. S. Kang, M. S. Jung. "Effects of an elder health promotion program using the strategy of elder health leader training in senior citizen halls", Journal of Korean Academic Nursing, vol. 42, no. 1, pp125-135, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.125 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.1.125
- N. S. Kim, Y. S. Bae, K. M. Um. "Effect of proprioceptive exercise on walking velocity, activities of daily living and depression in elderly woman. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 9 (2), pp. 233-241, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.7.233 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.7.233
- Y. R. Han, M. S Song, J. Y. Lim. "The effects of a cognitive enhancement group training program for community dwelling elders. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 724-735, 2010. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.5.724 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.5.724
- S. J. Han, Y. R. Lee, C. M. Cho, M. Y. Im. "A systematic review of literature on community health center exercise programs", Journal of Korean Academic Community Health Nursing, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 18-30, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.1.18 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.1.18
- C. O. Kim, H. Y. Lee, S. H. Ho, H. S. Park, C. W. Park. "Effects of visiting prehabilitation program against functional decline in the frail elderly: a prospective randomized community trial", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1293-1309, 2010.
- B. J, Park, H. J. Lee. "Integrative approach to elderly frailty", Korean Journal of Family Medicine, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 747-754, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.10.747 https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.10.747
- H. Y. Kim, M. H. Park. " Physical Function and Ego-Integrity in Frail and Non-frail Elders in a Local Community", Journal of Korean Gerontol Nurse, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 27-37, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.1.27 https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.1.27
- D. Sunwoo, S. Y. Lee, J. S. Park, S. S. Bae, Y. H. Jo, C. B. Kim et al. "Analysis of the effects of muscle strength exercise on physical function and quality of Life in the frail elderly", Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 39-53, 2008.
- H. H. Son, K. Kim. "Effect of elderly gymnastic program on physical function in hospitalized frail people", Journal of Korean Data Analysis Society, 25 (1B), pp. 123-134, 2011.
- M. S. Song, S. H. Kim, "Effects of a transtheoretical model based exercise behavior improving program on blood pressure and physical activity for older adults with hypertension", The Korea Contents Association, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 364-377, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.364 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.364
- M. P. Lawton, M. Moss, M. Fulcomer, M. H. Kleban. "A research and service oriented multilevel assessment instrument", Journal of Gerontology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 91-99, 1982. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/37.1.91 https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/37.1.91
- K. J, Kim. "Prediction model for health promotion behaviors in middle-aged men", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2010.
- M. Lin, B. S. Linn. "Health practice of the elderly poor", American Journal of Public Health, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 731-734, 1984.
- A. K. Williams. "Physical illness and depress: Change over time in middle age and elderly person", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Portland state University, 1985.
- M. S. Lee. "A study on the health promotion behavior, subjective health status and quality of life in the elderly", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2012.
- Sheikh, J. I, Yesavage, J. A. "Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): Recent evidence and development of a shorter version. In T. L. Brink (Ed.), Clinical gerontology: A guide to assessment and intervention", pp. 165-173. New York: The Harwoth Press, 1986.
- B. S. Kee. "A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form Korea version", Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 35 (2), pp. 298-307, 1996.
- H. N. Lee. "Effects of a tai-chi program on pain, sleep disturbance, mood and fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Journal of Rheumatol Helath, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 57-68, 2005.
- EuroQoL Group, "EuroQul-a new facility for the measurement of health related quality of life", Health Police, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 199-208, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8510(90)90421-9
- J. W. Shin, Y. K. Park, S. R. Suh, J. E. Kim, "Factors influencing quality of life in elderly diabeticpatients of korea: Analysis from the Korea national health and nutrition examination survey in 2008", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 31(3.), pp. 479-481, 2011.
- M, S, Yang, "The effect of suicide impulse with stress and depression of old people who living nursing home" Unpublished master's thesis, Kyonggi University, Kyonggido, 2012.
- Y. H. Choi, N. Y. Kim. "The effects of an exercise program using a resident volunteer as a lay health leader for elders' physical fitness, cognitive function, depression, and quality of life", Journal of Korean Academic Community Health Nursing, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 346-357, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.3.346 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.3.346
- C. B. Jun, S. H. Jeong, K. O. Cho. "Effects of korean dance metabolic syndrome risk factors, blood inflammatory markers, and senior fitness in elderly women", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, vol. 33, no. 3, pp551-561, 2013.
- J. H. Moon, J. S. Oak, W. Y. Park. " This research aimed to analyse the effect of 12 week exercise program on muscle fitness, flexibility and balance in the fall down female elderly. Exercise Science, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 77-86, 2004.
- K. S. Kang. "The effects of the fall prevention exercise program focussed on activity of daily living, fear of fall and quality of life for the senior citizen center elderly", Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 267-272, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.267 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.267
- S. M. Lee, "The Effects of an Low-strenth Exercise Program on Strength of daily living ,Quality of life of the female elderly in rural communities," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyunhee University, Seoul, 2006.
- E. B. Larson, L. Wang, J. D. Bowen, W.C. McCormick, L. Teri, P. Crane, "Exercise is associated with reduced risk for incident dementia among persons 65 years of age and older", J. of Ann Intern Med, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 73-81, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-144-2-200601170-00004 https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-144-2-200601170-00004