- Volume 42 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
PNC(Pipeline Network Coding)-Based Message and Node Authentication in Wireless Networks
무선 네트워크에서 파이프라인 네트워크 코딩 기반 메시지 및 노드 인증
- Ahn, Myeong-Gi (LIG Nex1 Co., Ltd.) ;
- Cho, Young-Jong (Ajou University Department of Software and Computer Engineering) ;
- Kang, Kyungran (Ajou University Department of Software and Computer Engineering)
- Received : 2017.02.02
- Accepted : 2017.05.17
- Published : 2017.05.31
In this paper, we propose a pipeline network coding (PNC) scheme for efficient data transmission in wireless networks, a data authentication scheme for verifying the integrity of data, and a node authentication scheme for a virtual source. PNC is a technique that improves the overall network performance by relaying data such that the relay node performing network coding transmits to the sender instead. However, network coding is vulnerable to a pollution attack, which is an attack by a malicious attacker to inject modified data into the network. To prevent this, hash-based message authentication code (HMAC) is used. For this purpose, in order to generate a tag used for data authentication, a key must be distributed to the nodes performing authentication. We applied a hash chain to minimize the overhead of key distribution. A null vector is used as the authentication scheme for the virtual source. Finally, we analyze the safety and complexity of the proposed scheme and show he performance through simulation.
- R. Ahlswede, N. Cai, S. Li, and R. Yeung, "Network information flow," Inf. Theory, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1204-1216, Jul. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/18.850663
- T. Ho, M. Medard, R. Koetter, D. R. Karger, M. Effros, J. Shi, and B. Leong, "A random linear network coding approach to multicast," Inf. Theory, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 4413-4430, Oct. 2003.
- A. K. Haddad and R. H. Riedi, "Bounds on the benefit of network coding for wireless multicast and unicast," IEEE Trans. Mob. Comput., vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 102-115, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2012.234
- K. H. Lee and J. H. Kim, "Random linear network coding to improve reliability in the satellite communication," J. KICS, vol. 38B, no. 9, pp. 700-706, Sept. 2013. https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2013.38B.9.700
- X. Yang, X. Tao, E. Dutkiewicz, E. X. Huang, Y. J. Guo, and Q. Cui, "Energy-efficient distributed data storage for wireless sensor networks based on compressed sensing and network coding," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 5087-5099, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2013.090313.121804
- D. H. Lee, W. H. Lee, S. M. Kang, and H. Y. Hwang, "Frequency allocation and path selection scheme in underlay cognitive radio networks using network coding," J. KICS, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 2372-2380, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2015.40.12.2372
- P. Li, S. Guo, S. Yu, and A. V. Vasilakos, "Reliable multicast with pipelined network coding using opportunistic feeding and routing," IEEE Trans. Parall. Distrib. Syst., vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 3264-3273, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2013.2297105
- S. Chachulski, M. Jennings, S. Katti, and D. Katabi, "Trading structure for randomness in wireless opportunistic routing," in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, pp. 169-180, 2007.
- R. Punnoose, P. Nikitin, and D. Stancil, "Efficient simulation of ricean fading within a packet simulator," in Proc. IEEE 52nd Veh. Technol. Conf., pp. 764-767, 2000.
- E. Kehdi, et. al., "Null keys: Limiting malicious attacks via null space properties of network coding," in Proc. Infocom, pp. 1224-1232, Apr. 2009.
- A. Newell and C. Nita-Rotaru, "Split null keys: A null space based defense for pollution attacks in wireless network coding," in Proc. SECON, pp. 479-487, 2012.
- C. Chi, J. Tao, and Z. Qian, "TESLA-Based homomorphic MAC for authentication in P2P system for live streaming with network coding," IEEE J. Sel. Areas in Commun., vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 291-298, Sept. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2013.SUP.0513026
- Z. Rongfei, J. Yixin, L. Chuang, F. Yanfei, and S. S. Xuemin, "A distributed Fault/Intrusion-Tolerant sensor data storage scheme based on network coding and homomorphic fingerprinting," IEEE Trans. Parall. Distrib. Syst., vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1819-1830, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2011.294
- X. Wu, Y. Xu, C. Yuen, and L. Xiang, "A tag encoding scheme against pollution attack to linear network coding," IEEE Trans. Parall. Distrib. Syst., vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 33-42, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2013.24
- L. Lamport, "Password authentication with insecure communication," Commun. ACM, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 770-772, Nov. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1145/358790.358797
- J. Liu, et. al., "Efficient multicast key distribution using HOWP-based dynamic group access structures," IEEE Trans. Computers, vol. 62, no. 8, Aug. 2013.