- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Individualism-Collectivism Propensity, Social Capital, Participation Activity of Social Network Service Users on Fashion Brands Relationship Orientation
SNS 이용자의 개인주의-집단주의 성향과 사회적 자본, 참여활동이 패션브랜드 관계지향성에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Eun-Jin (Institute of Arts & Culture.Dept. of Fashion Design, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Suk, HyoJung (Institute of Arts & Culture.Dept. of Fashion Design, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2017.03.15
- Accepted : 2017.04.07
- Published : 2017.04.30
This study analyzed the effect of individualism-collectivism propensity and social capital on participation activity as well as the effect of participation activity on fashion brands relationship orientation of social network service users. Also, this study investigated the difference in participation activity and fashion brands relationship orientation by participation level of social network service. A survey was conducted from October 1 to November 31, 2015, and 476 responses were used in the analysis. As results, the individualism-collectivism propensity was composed of vertical-horizontal individualism and vertical-horizontal collectivism. The social capital was composed of trust, norm, and network. Also, the participation activity was composed of personal interaction, consumer rights, information pursuit, interest pursuit, and economic pursuit. Vertical individualism positively affected information pursuit and economic pursuit, and horizontal individualism positively affected personal interaction, consumer rights, and information pursuit; in addition, vertical collectivism positively affected personal interaction, consumer rights, and interest pursuit. Horizontal collectivism positively affected information pursuit, but it negatively affected consumer rights. Consumer rights, information pursuit, interest pursuit, and economic pursuit of participation activity positively affected fashion brands relationship orientation. Also, there were significant differences in the participation activity and fashion brands relationship orientation by participation level. The study results provide useful information to the marketing strategies using social network service of fashion brands.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Beilmann, M., & Realo, A. (2012). Individualism-collectivism and social capital at the individual level. Trames, 16(3), 205-217. doi:10.3176/tr.2012.3.01 https://doi.org/10.3176/tr.2012.3.01
- Burke, M., Kraut, R., & Marlow, C. (2011, May). Social capital on facebook: Differentiating uses and users. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Vancouver, 7-12, 571-580. doi:10.1145/1978942.1979023 https://doi.org/10.1145/1978942.1979023
- Camarero, C. (2007). Relationship orientation or service quality?: What is the trigger of performance in financial and insurance services?. International Journal of Bank Marketing, 25(6), 406-426. doi:10.1108/02652320710820354 https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320710820354
- Chae, H. J., Shin, J. Y., & Ko, E. J. (2015). The effects of usage motivation of hashtag of fashion brands' image based SNS on customer social participation and brand equity: Focusing on moderating effect of SNS involvement. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 17(6), 942-955. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.6.942 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.6.942
- Chang, Y. J. (2004). Consumer's relationship oriented behavior in fashion online communities: The effect of interaction and commitment. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Chang, Y. J., Park, J. O., Lee, K. H., & Youn, S. Y. (2007). Relational market behavior of fashion online community members. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 15(1), 58-67. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2007.15.1.58
- Chiu, C. M., Hsu, M. H., & Wang, E. T. (2006). Understanding knowledge sharing in virtual communities: An integration of social capital and social cognitive theories. Decision Support Systems, 42(3), 1872-1888. doi:10.1016/j.dss.2006.04.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2006.04.001
- Cho, G. H., Kim, J. Y., & Choi, K. S. (2009). Cultural dispositions, control of anger, and empathy. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 23(1), 69-90.
- Choi, E. M. (2004). A research on the feature of online brand community on the loyalty of online brand community and brand personality and brand attitudes. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Choi, E. Y. (2012). A case study of promotion through the communication contents of facebook for fashion brands-Focused on empathy and participation based on the communication contents-. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 62(1), 137-151. https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2012.62.1.137
- Choi, M. Y. (2013). Differences in community participation benefits and community commitment according to type of online fashion brand community participation. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 13(4), 85-104.
- Chun, M. S., Lee, S. Y., & Koh, A. R. (2006). The effect of cultural tendency on clothing consumption behavior. Korean Journal of Consumer and Advertising Psychology, 7(2), 277-300.
- Chung, K. H., & Lee, M. S. (2015). A study on the communication strategies of high fashion brands in the era of social media-Focusing on the applications and design components of SNS. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 21(4), 593-608.
- Dwyer, F. R., Schurr, P. H., & Oh, S. (1987). Developing buyer-seller relationships. Journal of Marketing, 51(2), 11-27. doi:10.2307/1251126 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251126
- Ganesan, S. (1994). Determinants of long-term orientation in buyer-seller relationships. Journal of Marketing, 58(2), 1-19. doi:10.2307/1252265 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252265
- Hwang, H. C., & Suh, Y. H. (2001). A model of internet customer long-term orientation: The moderating effect of relationship length. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 7, 147-165. https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2001.9707420
- Jang, Y. H. (2012). The types and power of members on on-line brand community. Korean Business Education Review, 27(5), 329-359.
- Jeon, K. J., Jun, C. S., Kim, N. R., Shin, S. H., & Moon, B. R. (2015). The structural relationship between Kumdo club SNS users, quality of relationship and long-term relationship intention. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 54(5), 491-502.
- Jung, B. M., & Jun, H. W. (2012). The effects of the social network service upon trust, long-term relationship orientation in hotel industry. Journal of Tourism & Leisure Research, 24(8), 69-85.
- Jung, J. E., Choo, H. J., & Lee, H. K. (2013). The effects of fashion mobile word-of mouth-Focus on facebook. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 37(2), 186-201. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.2.186 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.2.186
- Jung, Y. Y., & Lee, E. S. (2008). A study on evaluation toward salesperson attributes and consumer's relationship continuity. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 10(3), 298-306.
- Kahttab, S. A., Al-Manasra, E. A., Zaid, M. K. S. A., & Qutaishat, F. T. (2012). Individualist, collectivist and gender moderated differences toward online purchase intentions in Jordan. International Business Research, 5(8), 85-93. doi:10.5539/ibr.v5n8p85 https://doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v5n8p85
- Kang, S. H. (2013). A study on the relationships among the motives, commitment, and online social capital in online brand communities on social network sites. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. H. (2016). Effects of customer relationship marketing factors on long term orientation between retail buyers and Dongdaemun fashion market vendors-Focusing on Korean and Chinese apparel buyers-. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dongduk Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. K., & Kim, J. S. (2012). The effect of relationship building through SNS on an individual's intention to share information. Informatization Policy, 19(2), 57-84.
- Kim, S. E. (2008). A study of the impact of consumers' apparel shopping orientations on their satisfaction from online fashion brands' communities and their activities in the communities. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongduk Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, T. J., & Chin, S. A. (2012). A study on the state of fashion marketing using the SNS-Focused on the facebook. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 13(5), 2305-2312. doi:10.5762 /KAIS.2012.13.5.2305 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.5.2305
- Ko, E. K. (2005). Influence of consumer relationship benefits and justice perception on long-term relationship orientation for fashion stores. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sookmyung women's University, Seoul.
- Ko, J. M., & Park, S. Y. (2008). Analysis in community activities and watching behavior of musical performance audiences in online community. Review of Culture & Economy, 11(1), 33-59.
- Kwon, O. B., & Wen, Y. (2010). An empirical study of the factors affecting social network service use. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(2), 254-263. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2009.04.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.04.011
- Lee, B. H. (2013). Integrating factors influencing on continuing use and effective marketing of social media. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Lee, H. J. (2012). A study on the effects of participating activities of on-line fashion brand community on community liking and brand loyalties. Unpublished master's thesis, Duksung Women's University, Seoul.
- Lee, H. S. (2005). The effects of on-line community activities on word-of-mouth and purchase behavior: Focusing on the participation in community and the relationship with the community administrator. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University of Technology, Seoul.
- Lee, K. S., & Park, H. J. (2013). The effect of core service quality, relational benefit and customer satisfaction to relational orientation in online travel agency. Journal of Tourism & Leisure Research, 25(2), 135-153.
- Lee, S. B., Park, Y. M., & Lee, J. B. (2013). SNS 서비스특성과 개인특성이 참여의도에 미치는 영향-기술수용모델을 중심으로[The effects of SNS service characteristics and individual characteristics on participation intention-Focused on technology acceptance model]. Proceedings of the Korea Intelligent Information System Society, Seoul, pp. 99-103.
- Lee, S. H. (2014). The effects of SNS website quality factors on user satisfaction and long-term relationship orientation in hotel industry. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Lee, S. M. (2004). The influence of the activity in the consumer's online community on flow, consumer-site brand relationship and site loyalty. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lin, K. Y., & Lu, H. P. (2011). Why people use social networking sites: An empirical study integrating network externalities and motivation theory. Computers in Human Behavior, 27(3), 1152-1161. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2010.12.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.12.009
- 'Marketing case using social network service'. (2010, July 6). DMC Report. Retrieved May 30, 2014, from http://www.dmcreport.co.kr
- Min, M., & Park, S. G. (2013). Effects of perceived social capital on relational uses of social network sites(SNSs). Speech & Communication, 22, 101-130.
- Mock, Y. S., & Youm, D. S. (2015). Effects of SNS contents community activities-related self-determination on relationship quality and community loyalty. The Treatise on The Plastic Media, 18(3), 95-102.
- Nam, S. J. (2007). The effects of individualism/collectivism and consumption values on the consumption self-regulation. Journal of Consumption Culture, 10(3), 59-86. https://doi.org/10.17053/jcc.2007.10.3.004
- Oh, M. H., & Kim, I. (2014). The effect of consumer attitude toward fashion products on SNS's characteristics to purchase intention and on-line word of mouth. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 14(1), 101-120.
- Park, J. Y., Chung, S. J., & Jeon, Y. J. (2012). A study on intention to use and word-of-mouth for fashion social network service. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 36(1), 36-45. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.1.36 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.1.36
- Park, K. H., & Choi, W. K. (2001). Effects of individualism-collectivism on clothing buying behavior. Journal of Consumer Studies, 12(1), 101-114.
- Putnam, R. D. (1993). The prosperous community: Social capital and public life. The American Prospect, 4(13), 35-42.
- Rhee, S. C., & Kim, S. H. (2011). A case study on fashion brand marketing utilizing social network service-Focused on global luxury brands-. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 17(3), 563-572.
- Roh, J. Y., & Ju, H. J. (2012). An experiential study on the influence of SNS usage motivation on on-line social capital. Korean Journal of Local Government & Administration Studies, 26(2), 261-281.
- Seo, J. H. (2004). A study on influence of service quality of online brand community upon the brand loyalty-Focusing on eBC-SERVPERF model-. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Seo, J. W., & Park, H. B. (2003). Use of internet and social capital: The possibility of formulating the social capital in virtual community. The Korea Association for Policy Studies, 12(1), 27-49.
- Shim, J. H. (2007). A study on difference of clothing behavior and desired image by individualism-collectivism. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(11), 1574-1585. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.11.1574
- Shin, K. A., & Han, M. J. (2009). The effect of online social capitial on energy-saving attitudes and behavioral intentions. The Korean Journal of Advertising and Public Relations, 11(3), 126-158.
- Sim, H. Y., & Lim, K. (2011). Research on the effect of different motivations on the participation in SNSs. Journal of Digital Contents Society, 12(3), 383-390. https://doi.org/10.9728/dcs.2011.12.3.383
- Singelis, T. M., Triandis, H. C., Bhawuk, D. P., & Gelfand, M. J. (1995). Horizontal and vertical dimensions of individualism and collectivism: A theoretical and measurement refinement. Cross-cultural Research, 29(3), 240-275. doi:10.1177/106939719502900302 https://doi.org/10.1177/106939719502900302
- Steinfield, C., Ellison, N. B., & Lampe, C. (2008). Social capital, self-esteem, and use of online social network sites: A longitudinal analysis. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 29(6), 434-445. doi:10.1016/j.appdev.2008.07.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2008.07.002
- Stutzman, F. (2006). An evaluation of identity-sharing behavior in social network communities. Journal of the International Digital Media and Arts Association, 3(1), 10-18.
- Sun, Seyoung., Lee, Joohyun., Jung, Yejin., & Lee, S. H. (2011). Case study of SNS (social networks service) application on fashion corporate-Focused on Twitter-. Journal of Fashion Business, 15(1), 158-170.
- Triandis, H. C., & Gelfand, M. J. (1998). Converging measurement of horizontal and vertical dimension of individualism and collectivism. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74(1), 118-128. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.168
- Wang, Y., & Fesenmaier, D. R. (2004). Towards understanding member's general participation in and active contribution to an online travel community. Tourism Management, 25(6), 709-722. doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2003.09.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2003.09.011
- Woo, N. Y. (2004). A study on the factors on customer relationship-orientation in the internet shopping mall. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Yim, K. H. (2013). A study on the influence of relation commitment of SNS marketing features in domestic enterprise. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(10), 341-350.
- Yoo, J. H., & Hwang, S. J. (2014). The effects of consumers' perceived relational benefits of fashion products on long-term orientation. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 43, 119-130.
- Yoon, W. A., & Kim, K. O. (2000). A scale development in the propensity of collectivism-individualism among Korean consumers. Journal of Consumer Studies, 11(3), 1-14.
- Yun, S. H., Kim, K. H., & Oh, S. R. (2012). Structure modeling on factors influencing the user satisfaction of social network services by mediating the moderator of the service types in SNS. Journal of Information Systems, 21(3), 23-44. https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2012.21.3.23