- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Three-dimensional Wave Propagation Modeling using OpenACC and GPU
OpenACC와 GPU를 이용한 3차원 파동 전파 모델링
- Kim, Ahreum (Department of Energy Resources Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Jongwoo (Department of Energy Resources Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Ha, Wansoo (Department of Energy Resources Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2017.02.20
- Accepted : 2017.04.17
- Published : 2017.05.31
We calculated 3D frequency- and Laplace-domain wavefields using time-domain modeling and Fourier transform or Laplace transform. We adopted OpenACC and GPU for an efficient parallel calculation. The OpenACC makes it easy to use GPU accelerators by adding directives in conventional C, C++, and Fortran programming languages. Accordingly, one doesn't have to learn new GPGPU programming languages such as CUDA or OpenCL to use GPU. An OpenACC program allocates GPU memory, transfers data between the host CPU and GPU devices and performs GPU operations automatically or following user-defined directives. We compared performance of 3D wave propagation modeling programs using OpenACC and GPU to that using single-core CPU through numerical tests. Results using a homogeneous model and the SEG/EAGE salt model show that the OpenACC programs are approximately 53 and 30 times faster than those using single-core CPU.
Grant : 유가스 부존특성 및 해저천부구조 정밀 규명을 위한 융복합 탐사기술 개발
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원, 부산과학기술기획평가원
- Abdelkhalek, R., Calandra, H., Coulaud, O., Roman, J., and Latu, G., 2009, Fast seismic modeling and reverse time migration on a GPU cluster, International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation, 36-43.
- Choi, H., Seol, S., and Byun, J., 2015, Acceleration of anisotropic elastic reverse-time migration with GPUs, Geophys. and Geophys. Explor., 18, 74-84 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.7582/GGE.2015.18.2.074
- Furse, C. M., 2000, Faster than Fourier: ultra-efficient time-tofrequency-domain conversions for FDTD simulations, IEEE Antennas and Propagation, 42, 24-34. https://doi.org/10.1109/74.894179
- Kim, Y., Cho, Y., Jang, U., and Shin, C., 2013, Acceleration of stable TTI P-wave reverse-time migration with GPUs, Computers & Geosciences, 52, 204-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2012.10.013
- Kim, A., Ryu, D., and Ha, W., 2016, Time-domain 3D wave propagation modeling and memory management using graphics processing units, Geophys. and Geophys. Explor., 19, 145-152 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.7582/GGE.2016.19.3.145
- Lee, H., Jeong, Y., and Lee, S, 2013, Survey on GPGPU programming models, Korea Information Processing Society, 20, 389-391.
- Lu, L., Renwei, D., Hongwei, L., and Hong, L., 2015, 3D hybrid-domain full waveform inversion on GPU, Computers & Geosciences, 83, 27-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2015.06.017
- Mehra, R., Raghuvanshi, N., Savioja, L., Lin, M. C., and Manocha, D., 2012, An efficient GPU-based time domain solver for the acoustic wave equation, Applied Acoustics, 73, 83-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2011.05.012
- Nihei, K. T., and Li, X., 2007, Frequency response modelling of seismic waves using finite difference time domain with phase sensitive detection (TD-PSD), Geophysical Journal International, 169, 1069-1078. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.2006.03262.x
- OpenACC Programming and Best Practices Guide, 2015, http://www.openacc.org/content/openacc-programming-bestpractices-guide (April 14, 2017 Accessed)
- Ryu, D., Kim, A., and Ha, W., 2015, Expanding domain method for 3D time-Laplace-domain hybrid modeling, Geosystem Engineering, 18, 259-265. https://doi.org/10.1080/12269328.2015.1047966
- Shin, J., Ha, W., Jun, H., Min, D., and Shin, C., 2014, 3D Laplace-domain full waveform inversion using a single GPU card, Computers & Geosciences, 67, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2014.02.006
- Sirgue, L., Etgen, J., and Albertin, U., 2008, 3D frequency domain waveform inversion using time domain finite difference methods, 70th EAGE Conference and Exhibition Incorporating SPE EUROPEC.
- Wang, W., Xu, L., Cavazos, J., Huang, H. H., and Kay, M., 2014, Fast acceleration of 2D wave propagation simulations using modern computational accelerators, PLOS ONE, 9, e86484. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0086484