- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Instant noodle consumption is associated with cardiometabolic risk factors among college students in Seoul
- Huh, In Sil (Seoul National University Medical Research Center) ;
- Kim, Hyesook (Department of Nutritional Science and Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Jo, Hee Kyung (Seoul National University Health Service Center) ;
- Lim, Chun Soo (Seoul National University Health Service Center) ;
- Kim, Jong Seung (Seoul National University Health Service Center) ;
- Kim, Soo Jin (Health Promotion Center, Chung-Ang University Hospital) ;
- Kwon, Oran (Department of Nutritional Science and Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Oh, Bumjo (Department of Family Medicine, SMG - SNU Boramae Medical Center) ;
- Chang, Namsoo (Department of Nutritional Science and Food Management, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.05.01
- Published : 2017.06.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Increased consumption of instant noodles has recently been reported to be positively associated with obesity and cardiometabolic syndrome in South Korea, which has the highest per capita instant noodle consumption worldwide. This study aimed to investigate the association between instant noodle consumption and cardiometabolic risk factors among college students in Seoul. SUBJECTS/METHODS: The study subjects consisted of 3,397 college students (1,782 male; 1,615 female) aged 18-29 years who participated in a health checkup. Information on instant noodle consumption was obtained from the participants' answers to a question about their average frequency of instant noodle intake over the 1 year period prior to the survey. RESULTS: Statistical analysis using a general linear model that adjusted for age, body mass index, gender, family income, health-related behaviors, and other dietary factors important for cardiometabolic risk, showed a positive association between the frequency of instant noodle consumption and plasma triglyceride levels, diastolic blood pressure, and fasting blood glucose levels in all subjects. Compared to the group with the lowest frequency of instant noodle intake (
- Shin HJ, Cho E, Lee HJ, Fung TT, Rimm E, Rosner B, Manson JE, Wheelan K, Hu FB. Instant noodle intake and dietary patterns are associated with distinct cardiometabolic risk factors in Korea. J Nutr 2014;144:1247-55. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.113.188441
- Kim MJ, Shin SN, Kim SK. Proximate composition and calorie of Korean instant noodles. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2000;32:1043-50.
- Srinath Reddy K, Katan MB. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of hypertension and cardiovascular diseases. Public Health Nutr 2004;7:167-86.
- Korea Bizwire. South Korea ranked no.1 in instant noodle consumption [Internet]. Seoul: Kobiz Media Co., Ltd.; 2014 [cited 2014 September 13]. Available from: http://koreabizwire.com/southkorea-ranked-no-1-in-instant-noodle-consumption/19034.
- Nelson MC, Kocos R, Lytle LA, Perry CL. Understanding the perceived determinants of weight-related behaviors in late adolescence: a qualitative analysis among college youth. J Nutr Educ Behav 2009;41:287-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2008.05.005
- Kim HK, Ahn Y. Mortality trends of cardiovascular disease in Korea; big challenges in ischemic heart disease. Korean Circ J 2015;45: 192-3. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2015.45.3.192
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2013: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-1). Cheongju: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2014.
- Yeon JY, Bae YJ. Association of instant noodle intake with metabolic factors in Korea: based on 2013-2014 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Nutr Health 2016;49:247-57. https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2016.49.4.247
- Gallup Korea. The public opinion census about instant noodle [Internet]. Seoul: Gallup Korea; 2013 [cited 2015 November 11]. Available from: http://www.gallup.co.kr/gallupdb/reportDownload.asp?seqNo=494.
- Shin JY, Kim JY, Kang HT, Han KH, Shim JY. Effect of fruits and vegetables on metabolic syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2015;66:416-25. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637486.2015.1025716
- Chen GC, Szeto IM, Chen LH, Han SF, Li YJ, van Hekezen R, Qin LQ. Dairy products consumption and metabolic syndrome in adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Sci Rep 2015;5:14606. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep14606
- Torris C, Molin M, Cvancarova Smastuen M. Associations between fish consumption and metabolic syndrome. A large cross-sectional study from the Norwegian Tromso Study: Tromso 4. Diabetol Metab Syndr 2016;8:18. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13098-016-0137-5
- Babio N, Sorli M, Bullo M, Basora J, Ibarrola-Jurado N, Fernandez-Ballart J, Martinez-Gonzalez MA, Serra-Majem L, Gonzalez-Perez R, Salas-Salvado J; Nureta-PREDIMED Investigators. Association between red meat consumption and metabolic syndrome in a Mediterranean population at high cardiovascular risk: cross-sectional and 1-year follow-up assessment. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2012;22:200-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2010.06.011
- Stanhope KL. Sugar consumption, metabolic disease and obesity: the state of the controversy. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 2016;53:52-67. https://doi.org/10.3109/10408363.2015.1084990
- Crichton G, Alkerwi A, Elias M. Diet soft drink consumption is associated with the metabolic syndrome: a two sample comparison. Nutrients 2015;7:3569-86. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu7053569
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 1972;18: 499-502.
- Lauer RM, Lee J, Clarke WR. Factors affecting the relationship between childhood and adult cholesterol levels: the Muscatine Study. Pediatrics 1988;82:309-18.
- Grundy SM, Brewer HB Jr, Cleeman JI, Smith SC Jr, Lenfant C; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association. Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2004;24:e13-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.0000111245.75752.C6
- Lee S, Park HS, Kim SM, Kwon HS, Kim DY, Kim DJ, Cho GJ, Han JH, Kim SR, Park CY, Oh SJ, Lee CB, Kim KS, Oh SW, Kim YS, Choi WH, Yoo HJ. Cut-off points of waist circumference for defining abdominal obesity in the Korean population. Korean J Obes 2006;15:1-9.
- Kamada C, Yoshimura H, Okumura R, Takahashi K, Iimuro S, Ohashi Y, Araki A, Umegaki H, Sakurai T, Yoshimura Y, Ito H; Japanese Elderly Diabetes Intervention Trial Study Group. Optimal energy distribution of carbohydrate intake for Japanese elderly patients with type 2 diabetes: the Japanese Elderly Intervention Trial. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2012;12 Suppl 1:41-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0594.2011.00811.x
- Costa Ede A, Rose G, Klein CH, Achutti AC. Diastolic pressure as an index of salt sensitivity. J Hum Hypertens 1994;8:703-9.
- Kim YY, Bae YJ, Choi MK. Sodium content and daily intake of instant noodle in Korean adolescents and adults. Trace Elem Electrolytes 2015;32:197-203. https://doi.org/10.5414/TEX01395
- Lee HS, Duffey KJ, Popkin BM. Sodium and potassium intake patterns and trends in South Korea. J Hum Hypertens 2013;27: 298-303. https://doi.org/10.1038/jhh.2012.43
- Yun EK, Heo YR, Lim HS. Effects of Sasa Borealis leaf extract on the glucose tolerance of major foods for carbohydrate. Korean J Nutr 2010;43:215-23. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.3.215
- Song S, Choi H, Lee S, Park JM, Kim BR, Paik HY, Song Y. Establishing a table of glycemic index values for common Korean foods and an evaluation of the dietary glycemic index among the Korean adult population. Korean J Nutr 2012;45:80-93. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.1.80
- Jee SH, Yun JE, Nam CM, Suh I. Heritability and segregation analysis of the level of LDL-cholesterol. Korean Circ J 2005;35:233-9. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2005.35.3.233
- Wirfalt E, Hedblad B, Gullberg B, Mattisson I, Andren C, Rosander U, Janzon L, Berglund G. Food patterns and components of the metabolic syndrome in men and women: a cross-sectional study within the Malmo diet and cancer cohort. Am J Epidemiol 2001;154: 1150-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/154.12.1150
- Woo HD, Shin A, Kim J. Dietary patterns of Korean adults and the prevalence of metabolic syndrome: a cross-sectional study. PLoS One 2014;9:e111593. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0111593
- Ding EL, Song Y, Malik VS, Liu S. Sex differences of endogenous sex hormones and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2006;295:1288-99. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.11.1288
- Elobeid MA, Allison DB. Putative environmental-endocrine disruptors and obesity: a review. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2008;15: 403-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/MED.0b013e32830ce95c
- World Instant Noodles Association (JP). Instant noodles at a glance [Internet]. Tokyo: World Instant Noodles Association; 2015 [cited 2016 January 13]. Available from: http://instantnoodles.org/en/noodles/report.html.
- World Instant Noodles Association (JP). National trends in instant noodles demands [Internet]. Tokyo: World Instant Noodles Association; 2009 [cited 2009 October 25]. Available from: http://instantnoodles. org/en/noodles/report.html.
- Park J, Lee JS, Jang YA, Chung HR, Kim J. A comparison of food and nutrient intake between instant noodle consumers and non-instant noodle consumers in Korean adults. Nutr Res Pract 2011;5:443-9. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.5.443
- Yu KJ, Jung HS, Yoon HH. A comprehensive study on the intake patterns and expenditures on ramyun among adults in metropolitan areas of Korea. Korean J Culinary Res 2013;19:204-14.
- Lakka HM, Laaksonen DE, Lakka TA, Niskanen LK, Kumpusalo E, Tuomilehto J, Salonen JT. The metabolic syndrome and total and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men. JAMA 2002; 288:2709-16. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.21.2709
- Astrofood, Priorities and Pandemics: Reflections of an Ultra-Processed Breakfast Program and Contemporary Dysbiotic Drift vol.8, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/challe8020024
- Dietary assessment and the development of asthma in Korean adolescents and adults pp.01054538, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/all.13554
- Influence of red palm oil on the physicochemical and sensory qualities of flavouring oil gravy for instant noodles vol.8, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1039/C7RA12387F
- Erratum: Instant noodle consumption is associated with cardiometabolic risk factors among college students in Seoul vol.12, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2018.12.2.173