- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Empowering Leadership on Intrinsic Motivation and In-role Behavior
임파워링 리더십이 내재적 동기부여와 역할 내 행동에 미치는 영향
- Hwang, Sang-Kyu (Department of Business Administration, International University of Korea)
- 황상규 (한국국제대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2017.10.20
- Accepted : 2017.12.13
- Published : 2017.12.31
The paper examines how empowering leadership and intrinsic motivation contributed to explaining in-role behavior. In order to verify the relationships and mediating effect, data were collected from 414 individuals in employees working in small and medium-sized firms at Jinju, Changwon, Gimhae, Busan City to test theoretical model and its hypotheses. All data collected from the survey were analyzed using with SPSS 18.0. This study reports findings as follows: first, the relationship between the empowering leadership and the intrinsic motivation is positively related. Second, there was also a positive correlation between the intrinsic motivation and the in-role behavior. Third, the relationship between the empowering leadership and the in-role behavior is positively related. Finally, the intrinsic motivation played as a partial mediator on the relationship between empowering leadership and in-role behavior. Based on these findings, the implications and the limitations of the study were presented including some directions for future studies.
Supported by : International University of Korea
- Ahearne, M., J. Mathieu, and A. Rapp(2005), "To empower or not to empower your sales force? An empirical examination of the influence of leadership empowerment behavior on customer satisfaction and performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, 90(5):945-955. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.5.945
- Ahn, H. Y.(2016), "The influence of empowering leadership on In-role behavior, voice and taking-charge and moderating effect of followship," M.A. thesis paper of YeungNam University.
- Amabile, T. M.(1979), "Effects of external evaluation on artistic creativity," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 37:221-233. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.124
- Amabile, T. M.(1998), "How to kill creativity. Harvard Business Review, Sep.-Oct:77-87.
- Arnold, J. J., S. Arad, J. A. Rhoades, and F. Drasgow(2000), "The empowering leadership questionnaire: The construction and validation of a new scale for measuring leader behaviors," Journal of Organizational Behavior, 21: 249-269. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(200005)21:3<249::AID-JOB10>3.0.CO;2-#
- Baron, R. M. and D. A. Kenny(1986), "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6):1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- Bass, B. M.(1985), "Leadership and performance beyond expectation," New York: The Free Press.
- Clutterbuck, D., and S. Kernaghan(1994), "The power of empowerment," London: KPL.
- Conger, J. A. and R. N. Kanungo(1988), "The empowerment process: Integrating theory and practice," Academy of Management Review, 13(3):471-482. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1988.4306983
- Deci, E. L.(1975), "Intrinsic motivation," New York: Plenum Press.
- Deci, E. L.(1976), "Notes on the theory and meta theory of intrinsic motivation," Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 15(1):130-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(76)90033-7
- Deci, E. L. and R. M. Ryan(1985), "Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior," New York: Plenum Press.
- Dinham, S. and C. Scott(2000), "Moving into the third outer domain of teacher satisfaction," Journal of Educational Administration, 38(4):379-396. https://doi.org/10.1108/09578230010373633
- Hackman, J. R. and G. R. Oldham(1976), "Motivation through design of work: test of a theory," Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 16:250-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(76)90016-7
- Hair, J. E., R. E. Anderson, R. L. Tatham, and W. C. Black(2006), "Multivariate data analysis," Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
- Huh, N. C.(2009), "The influence of transformational leadership on organizational trust, in-role behavior, and psychological well-being: The role of hope and intimacy," Ph. D. dissertation paper of Kyonggi University
- Jang, Y. M.(2013), "Cooperative and innovative behavior: The effects of leadership, intrinsic motivation, and empowerment," Ph. D. dissertation paper of HanNam University
- Ju, S. Y.(2015), "The effects of empowering leadership on innovative behavior, pro-social behavior and task performance," Ph. D. dissertation paper of Sungkyunkwan University.
- Jung, K. H.(2011), "The effects of empowering leadership on job satisfaction and organizational commitment," Ph. D. dissertation paper of Sungkyunkwan University.
- Jung, S. H.(2011), "A study on innovation and growth diagnosis model of small and medium sized firms," M.A. thesis paper of Hanyang University
- Kang, D. W.(2014), "A study on effects of transformational leadership and servant leadership on in-role behavior and organizational citizenship behavior: Focused on the mediating effect of intrinsic motivation," M.A. thesis paper of Dankook University.
- Kim, K. H.(2013), "Study of the influence of empowering leadership on follower's creativity -Mediating role of intrinsic motivation, trust on superior and knowledge sharing -," Ph. D. dissertation paper of Dongguk University.
- Kim, K. T.(2008), "A study on the relationship between training investment and organizational performance: Mediating effects of job satisfaction, job skill enhancement, and employee competence," Journal of Organization and Management 32(4):29-57.
- Konczak, L. J., D. J. Stelly, and M. L. Trusty(2000), "Defining and measuring empowerment leader behaviors: development of an upward feedback instrument," Educational and Psychological Measurement, 60:301-313. https://doi.org/10.1177/00131640021970420
- Lee, S. I.(2006), "The effects of empowering leadership on innovative behavior of organizational members and organizational citizenship behavior," Ph. D. dissertation paper of Chosun University.
- Li, X.(2014), "The effects of empowering leadership on the in-role and the extra-role behavior of China's companies -Focused on mediate effect of trustiness," M.A. thesis paper of Suwon University.
- Manz, C. C. and H. P. Jr. Sims(1987), "Leading workers to lead themselves: The external leadership of self-managed work teams," Administrative Science Quarterly, 32:106-128. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392745
- Organ, D. W.(1988), "Organizational citizenship behavior: The good soldier syndrome," Lexington MA: Lexington Books.
- Park, J. G.(2010), "The effects of empowering leadership on employee job attitudes and creativity," M.A. thesis paper of Sungkyunkwan University.
- Raub, S. and C. Robert(2010), "Differential effects of empowering leadership on in-role and extra-role employee behaviors: Exploring the role of psychological empowerment and power values," Human Relations, 63:1743-1770. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726710365092
- Richer, S. F. and R. J. Vallerand(1995), "Supervisors' interactional styles and subordinates' intrinsic and extrinsic motivation," The Journal of Social Psychology, 135(6):707-722. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.1995.9713974
- Robbins, S. P.(1988), "Organization theory," Prentice-Hall.
- Spreitzer, G. M.(1995), "Psychological empowerment in the workplace: Dimensions, measurement, and validation," Academy of Management Journal, 38(5):1442-1465.
- Srivastava, A., K. M. Bartoal, and E. A. Locke(2006), "Empowering leadership in management teams: Effects on knowledge sharing, efficacy, and performance," Academy of Management Journal, 49(6):1239-1251. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2006.23478718
- Staw, B. M.(1997), "The escalation of commitment: An update and appraisal," In Z. Shapira(Ed.), Organizational Decision Making (pp.191-215), New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Szilagyi, A. D. and M. J. Wallace(1983), "Organizational behavior and performance," Scott Foresman.
- Thibaut, J. W. and H. H. Kelley(1959), "The social psychology of groups," New York: Wiley.
- Thomas, K. W. and B. A. Velthouse(1990), "Cognitive elements of empowerment: An interpretive model on intrinsic task motivation," Academy of Management Review, 15(4):666-681. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1990.4310926
- Tierney, P., S. M. Farmer, and G. B. Graen(1999), "An examination of leadership and employee creativity: The relevance of traits and relationships," Personnel Psychology, 52(3):591-620. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1999.tb00173.x
- Warr, P., J. Cook, and T. Wall(1979), "Scales for the measurement of some work attitudes and aspects of psychological well-being," Journal of Occupational Psychology, 52: 129-148. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1979.tb00448.x
- Williams, L. J. and S. E. Anderson(1991), "Job satisfaction and organization a commitment as predictors of organizational citizenship and in-role behaviors," Journal of Management, 17:601-617.
- Zhang, X. and K. M. Bartol(2010), "Linking empowering leadership and employee creativity: The influence of psychological empowerment, intrinsic motivation, and creative process engagement," Academy of Management Journal, 53(1):107-128. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2010.48037118
- Zhao, X(2013), "A study on the effects of empowering leadership on organizational effectiveness : Focus on the mediating role of empowerment," M.A. thesis paper of Dankook University.