- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Vertical vibrations of a bridge based on the traffic-pavement-bridge coupled system
- Yin, Xinfeng (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Changsha University of Science & Technology) ;
- Liu, Yang (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Changsha University of Science & Technology) ;
- Kong, Bo (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Louisiana State University)
- Received : 2016.05.04
- Accepted : 2017.04.04
- Published : 2017.04.25
When studying the vibration of a suspension bridge based on the traffic-bridge coupled system, most researchers ignored the contribution of the pavement response. For example, the pavement was simplified as a rigid base and the deformation of pavement was ignored. However, the action of deck pavement on the vibration of vehicles or bridges should not be neglected. This study is mainly focused on establishing a new methodology fully considering the effects of bridge deck pavement, probabilistic traffic flows, and varied road roughness conditions. The bridge deck pavement was modeled as a boundless Euler-Bernoulli beam supported on the Kelvin model; the typical traffic flows were simulated by the improved Cellular Automaton (CA) traffic flow model; and the traffic-pavement-bridge coupled equations were established by combining the equations of motion of the vehicles, pavement, and bridge using the displacement and interaction force relationship at the contact locations. The numerical studies show that the proposed method can more rationally simulate the effect of the pavement on the vibrations of bridge and vehicles.
traffic-pavement-bridge coupled system;bridge;vehicle;road surface
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation China
- Andersen, L., Nielsen, S.R.K. and Kirkegaard, P.H. (2001), "Finite element modeling of infinite Euler beams on Kelvin foundations exposed to moving loads in converted coordinates", J. Sound Vib., 241(4), 587-604. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2000.3314
- Cai, Y.Q., Chen, Y., Cao, Z.G., Sun, H.L. and Guo, L. (2015), "Dynamic responses of a saturated poroelastic half-space generated by a moving truck on the uneven pavement", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 69, 172-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2014.10.014
- Cao, Z.G., Cai, Y.Q., Sun, H.L. and Xu, C.J. (2011), "Dynamic responses of a poroelastic half-space from moving trains caused by vertical track irregularities", Int. J. Numer. Anal. Methods Geomech., 35(7), 761-786. https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.919
- Chen, S.R. and Cai, C.S. (2007), "Equivalent wheel load approach for slender cable-stayed bridge fatigue assessment under vehicle and wind: feasibility study", J. Bridge Eng., 12(6), 755-764. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2007)12:6(755)
- Chen, S.R. and Wu, J. (2010), "Dynamic performance simulation of long-span bridge under combined loads of stochastic vehicle and wind", J. Bridge Eng., 15(3), 219-230. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000078
- Chinese highway bridge code (2004), "Standard of the people's republic of china quality standard-JTG D60", China general code for design of highway bridges and culverts.
- Deng, L. and Cai, C.S. (2010), "Development of dynamic impact factor for performance evaluation of existing multi-girder concrete bridges", Eng. Struct., 32(1), 21-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.08.013
- Deng, L. and Cai, C.S. (2011), "Identification of dynamic vehicular axle loads: Demonstration by a field study", J. Vib. Control, 17(2), 183-195. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546309351222
- Fryba, L. (1974), "Response of a beam to a rolling mass in the presence of adhesion", Acta Technica CSAV, 19(6), 673-687.
- Green, M.F. and Cebon, D. (1997), "Dynamic interaction between heavy vehicles and highway bridges", Comput. Struct., 62(2), 253-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(96)00198-8
- Heider, Y., Avci, O., Markert, B. and Ehlers, W. (2014), "The dynamic response of fluid-saturated porous materials with application to seismically induced soil liquefaction", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 63, 120-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2014.03.017
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) (1995), "Mechanical vibration-road surface profiles-reporting of measured data", ISO 8068: (E), Geneva.
- Kim, S.M. and McCullough, B.F. (2003) "Dynamic response of plate on viscous Winkler foundation to moving loads of varying amplitude", Eng. Struct., 25(9), 1179-1188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00066-X
- Kong, X.J., Gao, Z.Y. and Li, K.P. (2006), "A two lane celluar automata model with influence of next nearest neighbor vehicle", Commun. Theo. Phys., 45(4), 657-662. https://doi.org/10.1088/0253-6102/45/4/018
- Kuo, C.M., Fu, C.R. and Chen, K.Y. (2011), "Effects of pavement roughness on rigid pavement stress", J. Mech., 27(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1017/jmech.2011.1
- Law, S.S. and Zhu, X.Q. (2005), "Bridge dynamic responses due to road surface roughness and braking of vehicle", J. Sound Vib., 282(3-5), 805-830. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.03.032
- Mamlouk, M.S. (1997), "General outlook of pavement and vehicle dynamics", J. Transport Eng., 123(6), 515-517. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-947X(1997)123:6(515)
- Markow, M., Hedric J.K., Bradmeyer, B. and Abbo, E. (1988), "Analyzing the interaction between vehicle loads and highway pavements", Proceeding of the 67th annual meeting, Transpotation Research Board, Washington, D.C.
- Nagel, K. and Schreckenberg, M. (1992), "A cellular automaton model for freeway traffic", J. Phys. (France), 2(12), 2221-2229.
- Wang, T.L., Huang, D.Z. and Shahawy, M. (1992), "Dynamic response of multi-girder bridges", J. Struct. Eng., 118(8), 2222-2238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1992)118:8(2222)
- Yang, Y.B., Cheng, M.C. and Chang, K.C. (2013), "Frequency vibration in vehicle-bridge interaction systems", J. Struct. Stabil. Dyn. 13(2), 1350019. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455413500193
- Yang, Y.B., Yau, J.D. and Wu, Y.S. (2004), "Vehicle-bridge interaction dynamics with applications to high-speed railways", World Scientific, Singapore, 45-56.
- Yin, X.F., Cai, C.S., Fang, Z. and Deng, L. (2010), "Bridge vibration under vehicular loads-tire patch contact versus point contact", Int. J. Struct. Stabil. Dyn., 10(3), 529-554. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455410003609
- Yin, X.F., Fang, Z. and Cai, C.S. (2011), "Lateral vibration of high-pier bridges under moving vehicular loads", J. Bridge Eng., 16(3), 400-412. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000170
- Yin, X.F., Liu, Y., Guo, S.H., Zhang, W. and Cai, C.S. (2016), "Three-dimensional vibrations of a suspension bridge under stochastic traffic flows and road roughness", Int. J. Struct. Stabil. Dyn., doi: 10.1142/S0219455415500388. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455415500388
- Zhang, W. and Cai, C.S. (2012), "Fatigue reliability assessment for existing bridges considering vehicle speed and road surface conditions", J. Bridge Eng., 17(3), 443-453. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000272
- Zhou, Y.F. and Chen, S.R. (2014), "Dynamic simulation of a longspan bridge-traffic system subjected to combined service and extreme loads", J. Struct. Eng., 141(9), 04014215.