- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Port Labor Using DEA/Super Efficiency
DEA/초효율법을 이용한 항만노무 효율성 분석
- Jang, Woon-Jae (Division of Maritime transportation system, Mokpo National Maritime University)
- 장운재 (목포해양대학교 국제해사수송과학부)
- Received : 2017.02.02
- Accepted : 2017.04.27
- Published : 2017.04.30
This paper measured and evaluated the technical efficiency, pure technical efficiency and scale efficiency of port labor via three inputs and three outputs using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). First, the average overall technical efficiency measured about 94.18 %, with 100 % pure technical efficiency being larger than 94.18% scale efficiency. As a result, 7 ports were identified as efficient, and 4 ports were identified as inefficient. Among the 4 ineffiecient ports, Donghae had the highest Increasing Return to Scale (IRS). However, the inefficient ports were all found to be less efficient in terms of resource operation than production scale. On the other hand, the efficient ports established priorities using the super efficiency method. As a result, port efficiency was highest for Incheon, Mokpo, Pyeongtaek-Dangjin, Masan, Yeosu Gwangyang, Jeju, and Gunsan-Daesan Ports, in order. In particular, Busan Port, found to be inefficient, would benefit from using Mokpo Port and Incheon Port as benchmarks to increase trade volume and modernize equipment for full-scale commercialization to improve labor efficiency.
- Cho, G. S.(2009), A Study on the Analysis of Operational Effect of the Port Supply System Reorganization (Focused on the Operation Case of Busan Port 4 Pier), Master's Thesis of Graduate School of Maritime Industry, Korea Maritime University.
- Drakes, L. and R. Simper(2003), The measurement of English and Welsh police force efficiency; a comparision of distance function model, European journal of operational Research, 158, pp. 165-186.
- Hong, B. Y. and J. O. Goo(2000), A Data Envelopment Analysis of the Efficiency of Credit Unions, Financial Management Research, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 277-292.
- Keum, J. S. and W. J. Jang(2005), An Analysis of Technical Efficiency in the Korean RCC/RSC, Journal of korean navigation and port research, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 215-220. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2005.29.3.215
- KMI(2009), A Study on the outcome analysis and development plan in accordance with port manpower supply system reform, Korea Maritime Institution.
- Korea Port Logistics Association(2016), Port labors booklet 2015.
- Lee, H. S. and K. S. Kim(2007), Measuring Efficiency of Korean Steel Industry Employing DEA, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 7, No. 6 pp. 195-205. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2007.7.6.195
- Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries(2015), Marine Fisheries Statistical Yearbook 2015.
- Park, J. H. and J. B. Moon(2010), Efficiency Analysis Using DEA for national RD Program for Regional Industrial Technology, Korea Industrial Economics Research, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 2047-2068.
- Sun, S.(2002), Measuring the relative efficiency of police precincts using data envelopment analysis, Socio-Economic Planning sciences, 36, pp. 51-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-0121(01)00010-6