- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Performance of the Teflon-Type Seismic Foundation Isolation System
테프론형 기초지진격리장치의 성능평가
- Son, Su Won (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Eung Soo (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Na, Geon Ha (National Disaster Management Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jin Man (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2017.02.09
- Accepted : 2017.04.07
- Published : 2017.05.01
Various seismic isolation methods are being applied to bridges and buildings to improve their seismic performance. Most seismic isolation systems are the structural seismic isolation systems. In this study, the seismic performance of geotechnical seismic isolation system capable of isolating the lower foundation of the bridge structure from ground was evaluated. The geotechnical seismic isolation system was built with teflon, and the model structure was made by adopting the similitude law. The response acceleration for sinusoidal waves of various amplitudes and frequencies and seismic waves were analyzed by performing 1-G shaking table experiments. Fixed foundation, Sliding foundation, and Rocking foundation were evaluated. The results of this study indicated that the Teflon-type seismic foundation isolation system is effective in reducing the acceleration transmitted to the superstructure subject to large input ground motion. Response spectrum of the Rocking and Sliding foundation structures moves to the long period, while that of Fixed foundation moves to short period.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- An T. Study on oscillation behavior and aseismicity of bridges with seismic isolation foundation system. Ph.D Thesis. Civil and Environmental Engineering, Waseda University. 2006
- Chopra A. Dynamics of structures. Peason Higher Education. 2014
- Edil TB, Bosscher PJ. Engineering properties of tire chips and soil mixtures. American Society for Testing and Materials. 1994;17(4): 453-464.
- Gu W, Wang S, Cai W. Seismic response of pure-friction sliding base-isolated structures subjected to vertical component of earthquakes, Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 2015;20(14) :5979-5986.
- Hwang JI, Kim SR, Kim MM. Applicability of similitude laws for 1-g shaking table tests. Korean Geotechnical Society. 2004;20(3):141-150.
- Iai S. Similitude for shaking table tests on soil-structure-fluid model in 1g gravitational field. Japanese Society of Mechanics and Foundation Engineering. 1989;29(1):105-118.
- Iai S, Sugano T. Soil-structure interaction studies through shaking table tests, Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering. 1999;3:927-940.
- Jung H J. To support the bridge structure by the isolation of the earthquake seismic isolation. Master Thesis. Civil Engineering. Dong-A University. c2008.
- Kagawa T. On the similitude in model vibration tests of earth structures. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering. Proc. of Japanese Society of Civil Engineering. 1978:69-77.
- Kim NS, Kwak YH, Chang SP. Modified similitude law for pseudodynamic test on small-scale steel models. Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2003;7(6):49-57.
- Kim JM. Dynamic frictional properties of geosynthetic interfaces involving only non-geotextiles. Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, 2005;21(7):81-89.
- Kim JM. Probabilistic approach to evaluation of earthquakeinduced permanent deformantion of slopes. Ph.D Thesis. Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California. Berkeley. 2001.
- Kim TH. Seismic behavior analysis of multi-span continuous bridges considering seismic bearings and energy-dissipating devices. Master Thesis. Civil Engineering. Yonsei University. 2004.
- Kokusho T, Iwatate T. Scaled model tests and numerical analyses on nonlinear dynamic response of soft grounds. Proc. of Japanese Society of Civil Engineers. 1979;285:57-67.
- Kwak Y H. A study on similitude law for evaluation of seismic performance. Master Thesis. Seoul National University. 2003.
- Rocha M. The possibility of solving soil mechanics problems by the use of models. Proc. 4th ICSMFE. 1957;1:183-188.
- Tsang HH. Seismic isolation by rubber-soil mixtures for developing countries. Earthquake Engineering and Structure Dynamic. 2008; 37(2):283-303. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.756
- Tsang HH, Lam TK, Yaghmaei S, Sheikh M, Indraratna B. Geotechnical seismic isolation by scrap ture-soil mixtures. 15th International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics. San Diego. California. c2010.
- Yegian MK, Catan M. Soil isolation for seismic protection using a smooth synthetic liner. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. 2004;130(11):1131-1139. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2004)130:11(1131)