- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Determinants of R&D Commercialization by SMEs after Technology Transfer
- Song, Minkyoung (University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Ji-One (Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology) ;
- Park, Beom Soo (University of Science and Technology, Electronics and Telecommunication Research Institute)
- Received : 2017.02.06
- Accepted : 2017.04.14
- Published : 2017.04.28
This study aims to analyze the factors that could influence business decisions of in the commercialization of R&D when technology is transferred from government research institutes (GRIs) to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). We examine 353 such cases of technology transfer. The dependent variable is whether the licensee had the intention of following up with R&D after the technology has been transferred. The independent variables, classified into ex-ante factors and ex-post factors, consist of the involvement of SMEs into GRI R&D, technology readiness level, relatedness to existing technologies, and contribution to sales revenue and level-up of existing technologies. The results of the study show that the contribution to existing technologies has a positive impact on R&D commercialization. However, unlike our expectation, contribution to sales revenue, the involvement of SMEs into GRI R&D, technology readiness level, the relatedness to existing technologies of the technology transferred have no impact on follow-up R&D.
- Agrawal, A. (2006) Engaging the inventor: exploring licensing strategies for university inventions and the role of latent knowledge, Strategic Management Journal, 27(1), 63-79. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.508
- Barney, J. (1991) Firm resources and sustained competitive, Advantage Journal of Management, 17(1), 99-120.
- Cassiman, B. and Veugelers, R. (2002) R&D Cooperation and Spillovers: sme empirical evidence from Belgium, American Economic Review, 92(4), 1169-1184. https://doi.org/10.1257/00028280260344704
- Choi, Y.H. and Lee, J.J. (1998) Success factor of technology transfer to SMEs: lssons to Korean policy for technology transfer, Conference Proceedings for Korea Public Administration Society, 223-236.
- Cooper, R.G. and Kleinschmidt, E.J. (1986) An investigation into the new product process: steps, deficiencies, and impact, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 3(2), 71-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/0737-6782(86)90030-5
- D'Aveni, R.A. and Gunther, R. (1994) Hypercompetition: Managing the Dynamics of Strategic Maneuvering, Free Press.
- Dechenaux, E., Thursby, J. and Thursby, M. (2011) Inventor moral hazard in university licensing: the role of contracts, Research Policy, 40(1), 94-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2010.09.015
- Eisenhardt, K.M. and Schoonhoven, C.B. (1996) the Resource-based view of strategic alliance formation: strategic and social effects in entrepreneurial firms, Organization Science, 7(2), 136-150. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.2.136
- Graves, S.B. and Langowitz, N.S. (1993) Innovative productivity and returns to scale in the pharmaceutical industry, Strategic Management Journal, 14(8), 593-605. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250140803
- Greiner, M.A. and Franza, R.M. (2003) Barriers and bridges for successful environmental technology transfer, Journal of Technology Transfer, 28(2), 167-177. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022998617118
- Griliches, Z. (1998) R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, 1-14.
- Jang, J.H., Kim, W.S. and Lee, B.H. (2008) Study of certification and evaluation program on innovative small and medium enterprises, Social Science Research Review, Kyungsung University, 24(2), 153-177.
- Jung, H.S., Kim, Y.S. and Yeum, S.Y. (2008) Impact of joint project of delayed gap for the type of industry-university cooperation, Proceedings of 2008 Joint Conference, Korean Academic Society of Business Administration, 1-16.
- Kamiyama, S., Sheehan, J. and Martinez, C. (2006) Valuation and exploitation of intellectual property, OECD STI working paper 2006/5.
- Kim, J.G. (2005) Impact Factors of Public R&D Output, Ph.D. Dissertation, Sungkyunkwan University.
- Kim, J.W. (2012) The effects of Korean ventures' external collaborations on their performance, Journal of Business Venturing, 7(1), 215-224.
- Kim, K.H., Hyun, S.H. and Choi, Y.J. (2006) An explorative study on the factors of technology commercialization through technology transfer, Journal of IT Service, 5(3), 151-163.
- Kim, S.W., Jung, D.B. and Park, Y.S. (2009) Understanding and Application of Logistic Regression Analysis, Seoul: Hannah Publishing.
- Kim, Y.J. (2015) Technological collaboration linkages and the innovation output in small and medium-sized firms: a study on the moderating effects of absorptive capacity, Korea Business Review, 34(5), 1365-1390.
- Lawson, B. and Samson, D. (2001) Developing innovation capability in organizations: A dynamic capabilities approach, International Journal of Innovation Management, 5(3), 377-400. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1363919601000427
- Lee, H.S. and Lim, J.H. (2008) SPSS 14.0 Manual, Kyunggi-do: Bommunsa.
- Min, J.W. (2015) Analysis of Technology Transfer and Success Factors of Government Research Institutes, Ph.D. Dissertation, Korea University
- Park, J.W., Yoon, S.J. and Park, B.S. (2015) Commercialization success factors of transfer technology from public R&D and enhancing performance, Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, 18(1), 28-48.
- Rothwell, R. and Dodgson, M. (1994) Innovation and size of firm, Handbook of Industrial Innovation, Edward Elgar, 310-324.
- Santoro, M. D. and Chakrabarti, A. K. (2002) Firm size and technology centrality in industry-university interactions, Research Policy 26(7-8), 843-856. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(97)00066-8
- Seo, J.Y. (2012) What is the determinant for R&D investment? Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 25(2), 1097-1109.
- Seo, Y.H. and Yang D.W. (2007) The empirical study on relationship between technology factor and technology commercialization in CT SMEs and ventures, Journal of Technology Innovation, 15(1), 44-87.
- Schilling, Melissa A. and Phelps, Corey C. (2007) Interfirm collaboration networks: the impact of large-scale network structure on firm innovation, Management Science, 53(7), 1113-1126. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0624
- Wiggins, R.R. and Ruefli, T.W. (2002) Sustained competitive advantage: temporal dynamics and the incidence and persistence of superior economic performance, Organization Science, 13(1), 81-105. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.184.108.40.2062
- Yeo, I.G. (2009) A Study on Strategy for Public Technology Transfer by an Analysis of Impact factors, Ph.D. Dissertation, Konkuk University.
- Zahra, S.A. Neubaum, D.O. and Huse, M. (2000) Entrepreneurship in medium-size companies: exploring the effects of ownership and governance systems, Journal of Management, 26(5), 947-976. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(00)00064-7