- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Hydrocolloids on the Quality of Protein and Transglutaminase Added Gluten-free Rice Bread
단백질과 트란스글루타미나제 첨가 글루텐 프리 쌀빵의 품질에 대한 친수콜로이드의 효과
- Received : 2017.03.08
- Accepted : 2017.04.19
- Published : 2017.04.30
Purpose: To improve the quality of basic gluten-free rice bread composed of white rice flour, salt, sugar, yeast, skim milk powder, olive oil, and water, the effects of transglutaminase (TGase), whey protein (WP), propylene glycol alginate (PGA), and hydroxypropylmethylcelluose (HPMC) were investigated. Methods: TGase, WP, PGA, and HPMC were added to rice flour cumulatively. The pasting properties of rice flour blends as well as volume, shape, color value, textural properties and sensory evaluation of basic rice bread (RB1) RB1+TGase (RB2), RB1+TGase+WP (RB3), RB1+TGase+WP+PGA (RB4), and RB1+TGase+WP+PGA+HPMC (RB5) were compared. Results: Consistency of rice batter increased upon addition of TGase, WP and PGA, and RB3 and RB4 had higher specific volumes than others. PGA improved volume, crumb air cell uniformity, and resilience but lowered elasticity and moistness of RB. HPMC increased, hardness, moistness and softness, and slightly reduced volume. Conclusion: Therefore, it is suggested that hydrocolloids, PGA and HPMC may be necessary to improve volume, crumb structure, textural properties and overall eating quality of gluten-free rice bread.
gluten-free rice bread;non-waxy rice flour;propylene glycol alginate;hydroxypropylmethylcelluose;quality improvement
- Renzetti S, Dal Bello F, Arendt EK. 2008b. Microstructure, fundamental rheology and baking characteristics of batters and breads from different gluten-free flours treated with a microbial transglutaminase. J Cereal Sci 48(1):33-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2007.07.011
- Sabanis D, Tzia C. 2011. Selected structural characteristics of HPMC-containg gluten free bread: A response surface methodology study for optimizing quality. Int J Food Prop 14(2):417-431. https://doi.org/10.1080/10942910903221604
- Sapone A, Bai JC, Ciacci C, Dolinsek J, Green PHR, Hadjivassiliou M, Kaukinen K, Rostami K, Sanders DS, Schumann M, Ullrich R, Villalta D, Volta U, Catassi C, Fasano A. 2012. Spectrum of gluten-related disorders: Consensus on new nomenclature and classification. BMC Med 10(1):13-24. https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-10-13
- Shin M, Gang DO, Song JY. 2010. Effects of protein and transglutaminase on the preparation of gluten-free rice bread. Food Sci Biotechnol 19(4):951-956. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0133-8
- Sivaramakrishnan HP, Senge B, Chattopadhyay PK. 2004. Rheological properties of rice dough for making rice bread. J Food Eng 62(1):37-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(03)00169-9
- Torbica A, Hadnadev M, Dapcevic T. 2010. Rheological, textural and sensory properties of gluten-free bread formulations based on rice and buckwheat flour. Food Hydrocoll 24(6-7): 626-632. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2010.03.004
- Turabi E, Sumnu G, Sahin S. 2008. Rheological properties and quality of rice cakes formulated with different gums and an emulsifier blend. Food Hydrocoll 22(2):305-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2006.11.016
- Yano H. 2010. Improvements in the bread-making quality of gluten-free rice batter by glutathione. J Agric Food Chem 58(13):7949-7954. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf1003946
- Houben A, Hochstotter A, Becker T. 2012. Possibilities to increase the quality in gluten-free bread production: An overview. Eur Food Res Technol 235(2):195-208. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-012-1720-0
- Joshi SC. 2011. Sol-gel behavior of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC) in ionic media including drug release. Mater 4(10):1861-1905. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma4101861
- Kim JM, Shin M. 2014. Effects of particle size distributions of rice flour on the quality of gluten-free rice cupcakes. LWT-Food Sci Technol 59(1):526-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2014.04.042
Kittisuban P, Ritthiruangdej P, Suphantharika M. 2014. Optimization of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, yeast
$\beta$-glucan, and whey protein levels based on physical properties of gluten-free rice bread using response surface methodology. LWT-Food Sci Technol 57(2):738-748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2014.02.045
- Korean Statistical Information Service 2017. Annual the per capita consumption of rice. http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parentId=F#SubCont. Accessed January 7, 2017.
- Lazaridou A, Duta D, Papgeorgiou M, Belc N, Biliaderis CG. 2007. Effects of hydrocolloids on dough rheology and bread quality parameters in gluten-free formulations. J Food Eng 79(3):1033-1047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2006.03.032
- Marco C, Rosell CM. 2008. Breadmaking performance of protein enriched, gluten-free breads. Eur Food Res Technol 227(4): 1205-1213. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-008-0838-6
- Matos ME, Sanz T, Rosell CM. 2014. Establishing the function of proteins on the rheological and quality properties of rice bread gluten free muffins. Food Hydrocoll 35:150-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2013.05.007
- McCarthy DF, Gallagher E, Gormley TR, Schober TJ, Arendt EK. 2005. Application of response surface methodology in the development of gluten-free bread. Cereal Chem 82(5):609-615. https://doi.org/10.1094/CC-82-0609
- Moore MM, Heinbockel M, Dockery P, Ulmer HM, Arendt EK. 2006. Network formation in gluten-free bread with application of transglutaminase. Cereal Chem 83(1):28-36. https://doi.org/10.1094/CC-83-0028
- Nelsen Jr DA. 2002. Gluten-sensitive enteropathy (celiac disease): More common than you think. Am Fam Physician 66(12): 2259-2266.
- Park SJ, Ha KY, Shin M. 2012. Properties and qualities of rice flours and gluten-free cupcakes made with higher yield rice varieties in Korea. Food Sci Biotechnol 21(2):365-372. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-012-0048-7
- Peressini D, Pin M, Sensidoni A. 2011. Rheology and breadmaking performance of rice buckwheat batters supplemented with hydrocolloids. Food Hydrocoll 25(3):340-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2010.06.012
- Phimolsirpol Y, Mukprasirt A, Schoenlechner R. 2012. Quality improvement of rice-based gluten-free bread using different dietary fiber fractions of rice bran. J Cereal Sci 56(2):389-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2012.06.001
- Renzetti S, Behr J, Vogel RF, Arendt EK. 2008a. Transglutaminase polymerization of buckwheat (Fagopyrum escalentum Moench) proteins. J Cereal Sci 48(3):747-754. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2008.04.005
- Renzetti S, Behr J, Vogel RF, Barbiroli A, Iametti S, Bonomi F, Arendt EK. 2012. Transglutaminase treatment of brown rice flour: A chromatographic, electrophoretic and spectroscopic study of protein modifications. Food Chem 131(4):1076-1085. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.08.029
- Baeza R, Sanchez CC, Pilosof AMR, Patino JMR. 2004. Interfacial and foaming properties of propyleneglycol alginates: Effect of degree of esterification and molecular weight. Colloid Surf B: Biointerface 36(3-4):139-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2004.04.005
- Battais F, Richard C, Jacquenet S, Denery-Papini S, Moneret- Vautrin DA. 2008. Wheat grain allergies: An update on wheat allergens. Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol 40(3):67-76.
- Burdock GA. 2007. Safety assessment of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose as a food ingredient. Food Chem Toxicol 45(12): 2341-2351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.07.011
- Cheong KW, Mirhosseini H, Hamid NSA, Osman A, Basri M, Tan CP. 2014. Effects of propylene glycol alginate and sucrose esters on the physicochemical properties of modified starch-stabilized beverage emulsions. Mol 19(6):8691-8706. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules19068691
- Christianson DD, Hodge JE, Osborne D, Detroy RW. 1981. Gelatinization of wheat starch as modified by xanthan gum, guar gum, and cellulose gum. Cereal Chem 58(6):513-517.
- AACC. 2000. Approved methods of the AACC. 10th ed. American Association Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Methods 44-15A, 46-11A, 08-01, 30-02, 61-02,72-10.
- Anton AA, Artfield SD. 2008. Hydrocolloids in gluten-free breads: A review. Int J Food Sci Nutr 59(1):11-23. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480701625630
- Cornejo F, Rosell CM. 2015. Physicochemical properties of long rice grain varieties in relation to gluten free bread quality. LWT-Food Sci Technol 62(2):1203-1210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2015.01.050
- Crockett R, le P, Vodovotz Y. 2011. How do xanthan and hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose individually affect the physicochemical properties in a model gluten-free dough?. J Food Sci 76(3):E274-E282. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02088.x
- Food and Drug Administration. 2015. CFR - Code of federal regulations title 21: Subpart I multipurpose additives 172.858. Propylene glycol alginate. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=172.858. Accessed December 8, 2016.
- Gallagher E, Gormley TR, Arendt EK. 2003. Crust and crumb characteristics of gluten free breads. J Food Eng 56(2-3): 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(02)00244-3
- Gallagher E, Gormley TR, Arendt EK. 2004. Recent advances in the formulation of gluten-free cereal-based products. Trends Food Sci Technol 15(3-4):143-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2003.09.012
- Gray JA, BeMiller JN. 2003. Bread staling: Molecular basis and control. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf 2(1):1-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2003.tb00011.x
- Gujral HS, Rosell CM. 2004. Functionality of rice flour modified with a microbial transglutaminase. J Cereal Sci 39(2):225-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2003.10.004
- Hager AS, Bosmans GM, Delcour JA. 2014. Physical and molecular changes during storage of gluten-free rice and oat bread. J Agric Food Chem 62(24):5682-5689. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf502036x
- Hischenhuber C, Crevel R, Jarry B, Makis M, Moneret-Vautrin DA, Romano A, Troncone R, Ward R. 2006. Safe amounts of gluten for patients with wheat allergy or coeliac disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23(5):559-575. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2006.02768.x
- A Scientific Approach to Increase the Consumption of Rice as Future Food Resources vol.33, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.6.713
- Preparation and Quality Characteristics of Gluten-Free White Salted Rice Noodle vol.34, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.4.375
- Exploring the applicability of tamarind gum for making gluten-free rice bread pp.2092-6456, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-018-0416-z
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs