- Volume 54 Issue 3
The paper develops a rigorous mathematical framework for the behavior of arch and membrane like structures. Our main goal is to incorporate moving point loads. Both the weak and the strong damping cases are considered. First, we prove the existence and the uniqueness of the solutions. Then it is shown that the solution in the weak damping case is the limit of the strong damping solutions, as the strong damping vanishes. The theory is applied to a car moving on a bridge.
shallow arch equation;strong damping;regularization of solutions
- J. M. Ball, Stability theory for an extensible beam, J. Differential Equations 14 (1973), 399-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0396(73)90056-9
- J. S. Chen and Y. T. Li, Effects of elastic foundation on the snap-through buckling of a shallow arch under a moving point load, Internat. J. Solids Structures 43 (2006), 4220-4237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.04.040
- M. C. Cheung, The static and dynamic stability of clamped shallow circular arche, the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, California Institute of Technology, 1969.
- E. Emmrich and M. Thalhammer, A class of integro-differential equations incorporating nonlinear and nonlocal damping with applications in nonlinear elastodynamics: existence via time discretization, Nonlinearity 24 (2011), no. 9, 2523-2546. https://doi.org/10.1088/0951-7715/24/9/008
- J. S. George, The Shallow Arch, Springer Book, 117-153, Dynamic Stability of Suddenly Loaded Structures, 1990.
- P. Grisvard, Singularities in Boundary Value Problems, Masson, Paris, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1992.
- S. Gutman, J. Ha, and S. Lee, Parameter identification for weakly damped shallow arches, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 403 (2013), no. 1, 297-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmaa.2013.02.047
- J. Ha, S. Gutman, S. Shon, and S. Lee, Stability of shallow arches under constant load, Internat. J. Non-Linear Mechanics 58 (2014), 120-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2013.08.004
- N. J. Hoff and V. G. Bruce, Dynamic analysis of the buckling of laterally loaded flat arches, J. Math Phys. 32 (1954), 276-288.
- J. L. Lions and E. Magenes, Nonhomogeneous Boundary Value Problems nd Applications, Springer, 1972.
- R. Temam, Infinite Dimensional Dynamical Systems in Mechanics and Physics, in: Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol 68, Springer-Verlag, 1997.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)