- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Influencing Factors of Cyber Weapon System Core Technology Realization Period
사이버 무기체계 핵심기술 실현시기의 영향 요인 분석
- Lee, Ho-gyun (Defense Agency for Technology and Quality) ;
- Lim, Jong-in (Graduate School of Information Security, Korea University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-ho (Graduate School of Information Security, Korea University)
- Received : 2017.03.09
- Accepted : 2017.04.11
- Published : 2017.04.30
It is demanded to promote research and development of cyber weapons system and core technology in response to the ongoing cyber attack of North Korea. In this paper, core technologies of the future cyber weapon system are developed and the factors affecting the realization timing of core technologies were analyzed. 9 core technology groups and 36 core technologies are derived. Afterwards, these core technology groups are compared to the operation phase of the joint cyber warfare guideline and the cyber kill chain of Lockheed Martin. As a result of the comparison, it is confirmed that the core technology groups cover all phases of the aforementioned tactics. The results of regression analyses performed on the degree of influence by each factor regarding the moment of core technology realization show that the moment of core technology realization approaches more quickly as factors such as technology level of the most advanced country, technology level of South Korea, technology transfer possibility from the military sector to the non-military sector(spin-off factor), and technology transfer possibility from the non-military sector to the military sector(spin-on factor) increase. On the contrary, the moment of core technology realization is delayed as the degree at which the advanced countries keep their core technologies from transferring decrease. The results also confirm that the moment of core technology realization is not significantly correlated to the economic ripple effect factor. This study is meaningful in that it extract core technologies of cyber weapon system in accordance with revision of force development directive and join cyber warfare guideline, which incorporated cyber weapon system into formal weapon system. Furthermore, the study is significant because it indicates the influential factor of the moment of core technology realization.
- Ackerman, E. "DARPA robotics challenge trials: final results." IEEE Spectrum. New York City, NY.[Online]. Available: http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/darparobotics-challenge-trials-results, Dec. 2013.
- Newton. Lee, "DARPA's Cyber Grand Challenge (2014-2016).", Counter terrorism and Cyber security, Springer International Publishing, pp 429-456, Apr. 2015.
- Man-sig Son and Seong-gu Jo, "NORTH KOREA'S CYBER ATTACK: Terror Cases and Cyber Capabilities and Current State of Affairs of North Korea's Cyber Terror Force." International journal of military affairs, 1(2), pp.28-37, Dec. 2016.
- Hogyun Lee, "Core Technologies for Future Weapons Systems", DTaQ research report, pp. 183-187, Dec. 2016.
- Hogyun Lee, "Defense Science and Technology Level Assessment by Country", DTaQ research report, pp. 108-131, Nov. 2015.
- Myung-Kwan Kim, R & D planning for the research planning assessment practitioners, The Korea Industrial Technology Association, Aug. 2007.
- Sang-Gee Kim, "On Analysis of the Characteristics and Indicatiors of Technology Level Evaluation", Ph.D. Thesis, Hanyang University, Feb. 2013.
- Hongseock Go, Understanding and Practice of the Level Research of Defense Technology, Hyeongseol Publisher, Jan. 2011.
- Seong-do Jo, "Assessment of Technological Level using the Quantitative Method", Ph.D. Thesis, UST, Feb. 2017.
- Chul-Whan Kim, "A Study on the Activation of Dual Use Technology Program." Journal of the Military Operations Research Society of Korea 32(1), pp.13-35, Jun. 2006.
- Young-soo Ann, "Enhancing Civil-Military Technology Integration through Institutional Improvement." Research Report 2013-689. KIET, Dec. 2013.
- Ho-gyun Lee, "Study on Selection Methodology of Applicable Prospective Civil Information Security Technologies in Defense Cyberwarfare Sector", Journal of the Korea Institute of Information Security and Cryptology, 25(6), pp.1571-1582, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.13089/JKIISC.2015.25.6.1571
- Hyun-Jin Park, "An Analysis of Effective Factors for Defense Technology Transfer", Journal of the Military Operations Research Society of Korea, 32(1), pp.1-12, Jun, 2006.
- Han.kyung Kim and Sangryul Shim, "A Study on the Identification of Risk Factors in the Process of Defense Technology Transfer via Offset Trade", Journal of Korean Military History, 68(3), pp.1-29, Oct, 2012.
- Kim, Sung-Young, "Transitioning from fast-follower to innovator: The institutional foundations of the Korean telecommunications sector." Review of International Political Economy vol.19, no.1, pp.140-168, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/09692290.2010.503125
- Young-jin Ha, "A Analysis on Economic Effects of R&D Investment on Energy Technology for Technology Innovation", Ph.D. Thesis, Korea Polytechnic University, Jun. 2009.
- Joint Chiefs of Staff, "Joint Instruction 14-1, Joint Cyber Operations", Jul. 2014.
- Tae-Jong Son, "Cyber kill chain concept and defense application direction", KIDA Weekly Defense Forum, Vol.1653, Jan. 2017.