- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Influences of Burnout on Job Satisfaction on School Health Teachers (School Nurse): Focused on the Mediating Effects of Self-leadership
보건교사의 소진이 직무만족에 미치는 영향: 셀프리더십의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Kwon, Oh Yun (Graduate School of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Park, Kyung Sook (Red-Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2016.03.15
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2017.04.30
This study was conducted to identify the impact of burnout on job satisfaction of school health teachers (school nurses) and the mediating effects of self-leadership on the relationship between burnout and job satisfaction. Methods: The research is a cross-sectional survey. The participants were 131 school health teachers (school nurses) in Korea. Data was collected using a self-reporting questionnaire covering demographic characteristics, self-leadership, burnout, and job satisfaction. The collected data was analyzed through t-test, ANOVA, correlation, and multiple regression using SPSS/WIN (ver. 23). Results: Significant positive correlations were found between self-leadership and job satisfaction (r=.384, p<.001). Significant negative correlations were found between burnout and job satisfaction (r=-.748, p<.001) and between burnout and self-leadership (r=-.308, p<.001). The factors that enhance job satisfaction were found to be lower burnout and higher self-leadership. The results of the 3-step regression are as follows: First, burnout had a significant negative effect on self-leadership. Second, burnout had a significant negative effect on job satisfaction. Third, self-leadership had a significant positive effect on job satisfaction and had a mediating effect on the relationship between burnout and job satisfaction (Zab=3.271, p<.001). Conclusion: Based on these results, self-leadership is needed in order to raise job satisfaction and reduce burnout.
- Ministry of Government Legislation. School Health Act No. 14055, 2016. 3. 2. amendment [Internet]. Seoul: Author; 2016 [cited 2016 Apr 20]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsSc.do?menuId=0&p1=&subMenu=1&nwYn=1§ion=&tabNo=&query=%ED%95%99%EA%B5%90%EB%B3%B4%EA%B1%B4%EB%B2%95#liBgcolor0
- Lee JH, Lee BS. Role adaptation process of elementary school health teachers: Establishing their own positions. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2014;44(3):305-316. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.3.305 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.3.305
- Libbus MK, Bullock LF, Brooks C, Igoe J, Beetem N, Cole M. School nurses: Voices from the health room. Journal of School Health. 2003;73(8):322-324. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2003.tb06590.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2003.tb06590.x
- Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education. Plan for school health education and students' health promotion [Internet]. Seoul: Author; 2016 [cited 2016 Apr 20]. Available form: http://sen.go.kr/web/services/bbs/bbsView.action?bbsBean.bbsCd=62&bbsBean.bbsSeq=212
- Park E. Factors associated with burnout of health teachers: Focused on work environment, work-related stress and interpersonal relationship [master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University; 2011. p. 1-66.
- Maslach C, Jackson SE. The measurement of experienced burnout. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 1981;2(2):99-113. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- Maslach C, Schaufeli WB, Leiter MP. Job burnout. Annual Review of Psychology. 2001;52:397-422. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397
- Nantsupawat A, Nantsupawat R, Kunaviktikul W, Turale S, Poghosyan L. Nurse burnout, nurse-reported quality of care, and patient outcomes in Thai hospitals. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2016;48(1):83-90. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12187 https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12187
- Best MF, Thurston NE. Measuring nurse job satisfaction. Journal of Nursing Administration. 2004;34(6):283-290. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200406000-00007
- Foley M, Lee J, Wilson L, Cureton VY, Canham D. A multi-factor analysis of job satisfaction among school nurses. The Journal of School Nursing. 2004;20(2):94-100. https://doi.org/10.1177/10598405040200020701 https://doi.org/10.1177/10598405040200020701
- Manz CC. Taking the self-leadership high road: Smooth surface or potholes ahead?. Academy of Management Perspectives. 2015;29(1):132-151. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2013.0060 https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2013.0060
- Won HJ, Cho SH. A review of research on self-leadership in nurses. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 2013;19(3):382-393. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.382 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.382
- Choi S, Jang I, Park S, Lee H. Effects of organizational culture, self-leadership and empowerment on job satisfaction and turnover intention in general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2014;20(2):206-214. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.206 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.206
- Seomun GA. The relationship of self-leadership, job satisfaction and perceived outcome in nurses. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 2005;11(1):45-58.
- Yom Y. Analysis of burnout and job satisfaction among nurses based on the job demand-resource model. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2013;43(1):114-122. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.1.114
- Chung B, Han J. Influential factors related to job satisfaction in hospice nurses: Focus on emotional labor and burnout. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2014;20(3):323-332. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.322 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.322
- Kim YM, Lee YM. Influence of self-leadership on job stress, job satisfaction and burnout among nurses in hospitals. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2009;11(4):1939-1951.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Buchner A, Lang A. Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 2009;41(4):1149-1160. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Kim JH. The effects of job sterss and teacher efficency focused on school health teachers job satisfaction [master's thesis]. Gwangju: Chonnam National University; 2012. p. 1-55.
- Kim E, Lee J. The effects of organizational culture and self-leadership on organizational effectiveness. Korean Corporation Management Review. 2010;33:81-101.
- Kim HS. The relationship between teachers' self-leadership and the job satisfaction at secondary schools [master's thesis]. Seoul: Soongsil University; 2002. p. 1-83
- Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1986;51(6):1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- Sobel ME. Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. Sociological Methodology. 1982; 13:290-312. https://doi.org/10.2307/270723 https://doi.org/10.2307/270723
- Han MY, Lee MS, Bae JY, Kim YS. Effects of nursing practice environment, compassion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2015;21(2):193-202. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.193 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.193
- Kim JH, Lee YJ, Kim DC. Relationship among child care teachers' role performance, supervisor's support and burnout. Journal of Korean Child Care and Education. 2014;10(5):175-90. https://doi.org/10.14698/jkcce.2014.10.5.175 https://doi.org/10.14698/jkcce.2014.10.5.175
- Lee JY. The effect of perfectionism on burnout in the elementary school teachers-moderating effect of negative mood regulation expectancies. The Journal of Child Education. 2011;20(1): 45-59.
- Park MM, Han SJ. Relations of job satisfaction with emotional labor, job stress, and personal resources in home healthcare nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2013;24(1):51-61. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.1.51 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.1.51
- Kim KG, Yun B, Jeon MS. The effects of school health teachers' self-efficacy on job satisfaction. The Journal of Educational Research. 2011;9(2):22-42.
- Cho DY, Ka SH, Yu JY, Kim JY. A study of factors influencing teachers' job satisfaction. The Journal of Korean Education. 2015;42(1):51-80.
- Yang PS, Choi SB. The relationship among psychological capital, self-leadership and job satisfaction: The mediating effect of self-leadership. Korea Academy of Organization and Management. 2012;36(1):1-29.