- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Calcium Lactate on Physico-Chemical Characteristics of Shank Bone Extract
- Choi, Jung-Seok ;
- Jin, Sang-Keun ;
- Choi, Yeong-Seok ;
- Lee, Jin-Kyu ;
- Jung, Ji-Taek ;
- Choi, Yang-Il ;
- Lee, Hyun-Joo ;
- Lee, Jae-Joon
- Received : 2017.01.17
- Accepted : 2017.04.18
- Published : 2017.04.30
This study was conducted to develop calcium-fortified shank bone extract (SBE) and to determine the effect of adding calcium lactate on physico-chemical characteristics of SBE during cold storage. The following five experiment groups were used: Control (0%, no addition), T1 (0.05% calcium lactate), T2 (0.1% calcium lactate), T3 (0.5% calcium lactate), and T4 (1% calcium lactate). When the concentration of calcium lactate added to the SBE was increased, the pH, redness, and yellowness values were significantly reduced, whereas the salinity, sugar content, and turbidity of SBE were significantly increased. Sensory parameters such as aroma, flavor, and overall acceptability in the control, T1, and T2 had similar scores. The TBARS values of SBE was significantly increased when 1% of calcium lactate was added, and the VBN values of SBE with calcium lactate at day 7 were higher than that of control (p<0.05). However, the addition of calcium lactate showed an inhibition effect on the growth of total microbial counts in SBE until 4 d of storage. The calcium content of SBE was increased by the addition of calcium lactate in a dose-dependently manner. The proper addition level of calcium lactate in the SBE was determined to be 0.1%.
calcium lactate;shank bone extract;sensory;total microbial counts
- Pathomrungsiyounggul, P., Grandison, A. S., and Lewis, M. J. (2010) Effect of calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, tricalcium phosphate, calcium gluconate and calcium lactate on some physicochemical properties of soymilk. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 45, 2234-2240. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2010.02399.x
- Pearson, D. (1976) The chemical analysis of foods. Churchill: Livingston.
- Rahman, S. M. E., Wang, J., and Oh, D. H. (2013) Synergistic effect of low concentration electrolyzed water and calcium lactate to ensure microbial safety, shelf life and sensory quality of fresh pork. Food Cont. 30, 176-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2012.06.041
- Seol, M. Y. and Jang, M. S. (1990) A study on mineral contents in sagol bone stock. J. Korean Soc. Food Cook. Sci. 6, 21-26.
- Shelef, L. and Potluri, V. (1995) Behaviour of foodborne pathogens in cooked liver sausage containing lactates. Food Microbiol. 12, 221-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-0020(95)80101-4
- Song, W., Lee, H., and Seo, G. (2015) Animal by-products distribution structure improvement. Korea Rural Economic Institute. (in Korean)
- Witte, V. C., Krause, G. F., and Bailey, M. E. (1970) A new extraction methods for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork and beef during storage. J. Food Sci. 35, 582-585. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1970.tb04815.x
- Park, D. Y. (1986) Minerals, total nitrogen and free amino acid contents in shank bone stock according to boiling time. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 15, 243-248.
- Kim, Y. H. B., Huff-Lonergan, E., and Lonergan, S. M. (2012) Effect of calcium lactate on m-calpain activity and protein degradation under oxidising conditions. Food Chem. 131, 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.08.033
- Lawrence, T., Dikeman, M., Hunt, M., Kastner, C., and Johnson, D. (2003) Effects of calcium salts on beef longissimus quality. Meat Sci. 64, 299-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00201-2
- Lee, J. W. and Cho, H. S. (2004) Nutrient intake status of Koreans by income level and age group analyzed from 2001 National Health and Nutrition Survey data. J. Community Nutr. 6, 67-77.
- Lee, S. O., Yu, M. H., Choi, J. H., Im, H. G., and Lee, I. S. (2013) The effect of calcium supplementation on soy sauce seasoning and cooking meat. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci Nutr. 42, 969-974. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.969
- Meetan, G. H. and North, A. N. (1991) Refractive index measurement of turbid colloidal fluids by transmission near the critical angle. Meas. Sci. Technol. 2, 441-447. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/2/5/005
- Meetan, G. H. and North, A. N. (1995) A refractive index measurement of absorbing and turbid fluids by reflection near the critical angle, Meas. Sci. Technol. 6, 214-221. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/6/2/014
- MFDS (2013) Handbook of Food Additives Designation of comparison. Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. (in Korean)
- Ministry of Agriculture (2015) Key statistics of agriculture, livestock and food. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. (in Korean)
- Moon, S. J., Yoon, H. J., Kim, J. H., and Lee, Y. J. (1998) A study on the perception and consumption pattern of convenience foods by Korean college students. J. Korean Soc. Food Cult. 13, 227-239.
- NIAS (2011) 8th Revision Food Composition Table. National Institute of Agricultural Science. (in Korean)
- Groussard, C., Morel, I., Chevanne, M., Monnier, M., Cillard, J., and Delamarche, A. (2000) Free radical scavenging and antioxidant effects of lactate ion: An in vitro study. J. Appl. Physiol. 89, 169-175. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.2000.89.1.169
- Jang, Y. H. (2016) A study of calcium and phosphorus intake and urinary excretion in Korean adults in Daegu. Thesis of master degree. Kyungpook National University.
- Jeon, K. H. (2013) Current issues of animal by-products market in Korea and its solution. Bull. Food Tech. 26, 296-306.
- Kemi, V. E., Karkkainen, M. U., Rita, H. J., Laaksonen, M. M., Outila, T. A., and Lamberg-Allardt, C. J. (2010) Low calcium: Phosphorus ratio in habitual diets affects serum parathyroid hormone concentration and calcium metabolism in healthy women with adequate calcium intake. Br. J. Nutr. 103, 561-568. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114509992121
- Kim, B. S., Kim, G. W., and Shim, J. Y. (2014) Influence of process conditions on the quality characteristics of beef-bone broth. Food Eng. Prog. 18, 15-19. https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2014.18.1.15
- Kim, D. S., Jung, H. S., Yoon, J. Y., Choi, S. Y., Seo, M. R., and Joo, N. M. (2014) Comparison study of quality and physico chemical properties of extract from various bones (shank, feet, tail) in Hanwoo. J. East Asian Soc. Diet. Life Conference Proceeding. 161.
- Kim, M. S. (2006) The effect on the nutritional value of beef leg and rib bone soup by boiling time. Korean J. Food Culture 21, 161-165.
- Kim, Y. H., Keeton, J. T., Smith, S. B., Maxim, J. E., Yang, H. S., and Savell, J. W. (2009) Evaluation of antioxidant capacity and colour stability of calcium lactate enhancement on fresh beef under highly oxidising conditions. Food Chem. 115, 272-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.12.008
- Berchtold, M. W., Brinkmeier, H., and Muntener, M. (2000) Calcium ion in skeletal muscle: Its crucial role for muscle function, plasticity, and disease. Physiol. Rev. 80, 1215-1265. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.2000.80.3.1215
- Calvo, M. S. (1993) Dietary phosphorus, calcium metabolism and bone. J. Nutr. 123, 1627-1633. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/123.9.1627
- Chen, N. and Shelef, L. A. (1992) Relationship between water activity, salts of lactic acid, and growth of Listeria monocytogenes in a meat model system. J. Food Prot. 55, 574-578. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-55.8.574
- Cho, E. J. and Jung, E. J. (1999) A study on the changes of taste components in brisket and shank Gom-Kuk by cooking conditions. Korea J. Food Cook. Sci. 15, 490-499.
- Choi, H. G., Choi, H. S., Choi, Y. S., Jung, M. O., Choi, J. S., and Choi, Y. I. (2016) Effects of mixed bone and brisket meat on physico-chemical characteristics of shank bone and rib extracts from Hanwoo. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 36, 61-67. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.1.61
- Choi, M. J. and Pu, S. Y. (2015) Calcium. In: Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans 2015. Society, T. K. N. (ed) Ministry of Health and Welfare, pp. 47-48. (in Korean)
- Choi, S. H. and Chin, K. B. (2003) Evaluation of sodium lactate as a replacement for conventional chemical preservatives in comminuted sausages inoculated with Listeria monocytogenes. Meat Sci. 65, 531-537. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00245-0
- Dong, M. L., Buchade, P. B., and Shaligram, A. D. (2015) Refractive index based optical Brix measurement technique with equilateral angle prism for sugar and Allied Industries. Optik. 126, 2383-2385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2015.05.137
- Douglas, W. and Rubin, R. (1961) The role of calcium in the secretory response of the adrenal medulla to acetylcholine. J. Physiol. 159, 40. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1961.sp006791
- Furie, B. and Furie, B. C. (1988) The molecular basis of blood coagulation. Cell 53, 505-518. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(88)90567-3
- AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis. Gaithersburg: MD.
- APHA (1992) Compendium of methods for the microbiological examination of foods. American Public Health Association Inc.
- Bell, R. R., Draper, H. H., Tzeng, D. Y., Shin, H. K., and Schmidt, G. R. (1977) Physiological responses of human adults to foods containing phosphate additives. J. Nutr. 107, 42-50. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/107.1.42
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (IPET), National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)