- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Persimmon Peel (Diospyros kaki Thumb.) Extracts on Lipid and Protein Oxidation of Raw Ground Pork During Refrigerated Storage
- Choe, Ju-Hui (Department of Food and Bioproduct Sciences, University of Saskatchewan) ;
- Kim, Hack-Youn (Department of Animal Resources Science, Kongju National Unicersity) ;
- Kim, Cheon-Jei (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.12.22
- Accepted : 2017.03.04
- Published : 2017.04.30
The inhibition effect of persimmon peel extracts (PPE) (0.05(PPE-0.05), 0.1(PPE-0.1), and 0.2 g(PPE-0.2) per meat sample) on lipid and protein oxidation of pork patties during chilled storage for 12 days were investigated and compared to ascorbic acid (As-0.05) and butylhydroxytoluene (BHT) (BHT-0.01). The meat samples treated with PPE had greater (p<0.05)
- Ahn, J., Grun, I. U., and Fernando, L. N. (2002) Antioxidant properties of natural plant extracts containing polyphenolic compounds in cooked ground beef. Food Chem. Toxicol. 67, 1364-1369.
- Almeida, de P. L., Lima, de S. N., Costa, L. L., Oliveira, de C. C., Damasceno, K. A., Santos, dos B. A., and Campagnol, P. C. B. (2015) Effect of jabuticaba peel extract on lipid oxidation, microbial stability and sensory properties of Bologna-type sausages during refrigerated storage. Meat Sci. 110, 9-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.06.012
- AOAC. (1990) Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. 777-788.
- Choe, J. H., Kim, H. Y., Kim, Y. J., Yeo, E. J., and Kim, C. J. (2014) Antioxidant activity and phenolic content of persimmon peel extracted with different level of ethanol. Int. J. Food Prop. 17, 1779-1790. https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2012.731460
- Damodaran, S., Parkin, K. L., and Fennema, O. R. (2008) Fennema's food chemistry. In D. J. McClements, & E. A. Decker (Eds.), CRC Press, NY, pp. 207-209.
- Deymer, D. I. and Vandekerckhove, P. (1979) Compounds determining pH in dry sausage. Meat Sci. 3, 161-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(79)90033-0
- Ellman, G. L. (1959) Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 82, 70-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(59)90090-6
- Eymard, S., Baron, C. P., and Jaconsen, C. (2009) Oxidation of lipid and protein in horse mackerel (Trachurus trachurus) mince and washed minces during processing and storage. Food Chem. 114, 57-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.09.030
- Folch, J., Lees, M., and Sloane Stanley, G. H. (1957) A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-509.
- Ganhao, R., Morcuende, D., and Estevez, M. (2010) Protein oxidation in emulsified cooked burger patties with added fruit extracts: Influence on colour and texture deterioration during chill storage. Meat Sci. 85, 402-409. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.02.008
- Gardner, H. W. (1979) Lipid hydroperoxides reactivity with proteins and amino acids a review. J. Agr. Food Chem. 43, 651-656.
- Gorinstein, S., Kulasek, G. W., Bartnikowska, E., Leontowicz, M., Zemser, M., Morawiec, M., and Trakhtenberg, S. (1998) The influence of persimmon peel and persimmon pulp on the lipid metabolism and antioxidant activity of rats fed cholesterol. J. Nutr. Biochem. 9, 223-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(98)00003-5
- Gornall, A. C., Bardawill, C. J., and David, M. M. (1949) Determination of serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction. J. Biol. Chem. 177, 751-767.
- Han, J. and Rhee, K. S. (2005) Antioxidant properties of selected Oriental non-culinary/nutraceutical herb extracts as evaluated in raw and cooked meat. Meat Sci. 70, 25-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.11.017
- Ibrahim, H. M., Abou-Arab, A. A., and Abu, S. F. M. (2010) Addition of some natural plant extracts and their effects on lamb patties quality. J. Food Technol. 8, 134-142. https://doi.org/10.3923/jftech.2010.134.142
- Kim, S. K., Lee, G. D., and Chung, S. K. (2003) Monitoring on fermentation of persimmon vinegar from persimmon peel. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 35, 642-647.
- Levine, R. L., Williams, J. A., Stadtman, E. R., and Shacter, E. (1994) Carbonyl assays for determination oxidatively modified proteins. Methods Enzymol. 233, 346-357.
- Mercier, Y., Gatellier, P., Viau, M., Remigonon, H., and Renerre, M. (1998) Effect of dietary fat and vitamin E on colour stability and on lipid and protein oxidation in turkey meat during storage. Meat Sci. 48, 301-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00113-7
- Naveena, B. M., Sen, A. R., Vaithiyanathan, S., Babji, Y., and Kondaiah, N. (2008) Comparative efficacy of pomegranate juice, pomegranate rind powder, extract and BHT as antioxidants in cooked chicken patties. Meat Sci. 80, 1304-1308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.06.005
- Packer, V. G., Melo, P. S., Bergamaschi, K. B., Selani, M. M., Villanueva, N. D. M., de Alencar, S. M., and Contreras-Castillo, C. J. (2015) Chemical characterization, antioxidant activity and application of beetroot and guava residue extracts on the preservation of cooked chicken meat. J. Food Sci. Technol. 52, 7409-7416. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-015-1854-8
- Prasetyo, M., Chia, M., Hughey, C, and Were, L. M. (2008) Utilization of electron beam irradiated almond skin powder as a natural antioxidant in ground top round beef. J. Food Sci. 73, T1-T6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00641.x
- Reznick, A. Z. and Packer, L. (1994) Oxidative damage to proteins spectrophotometric method for carbonyl assay. Method Enzymol. 233, 357-363.
- Sebranek, J. G., Sewalt, V. H. H., Robbins, K. L., and Houser, T. A. (2005) Comparison of a natural rosemary extract and BHA/BHT for relative antioxidant effectiveness in pork sausage. Meat Sci. 69, 289-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.07.010
- Selani, M. M., Contreras-Castillo, C. J., Shirahigue, L. D., Gallo, C. R., Plata-Oviedo, M., and Montes-Villanueva, N. D. (2011) Wine industry residues extracts as natural antioxidants in raw and cooked chicken meat during frozen storage. Meat Sci. 88, 397-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.01.017
- Selani, M. M., Shirado, G. A. N., Margiotta, G. B., Rasera, M. L., Marabesi, A. C., Piedade, S. M. S., Contreras-Castillo, C. J., and Canniatti-Brazaca, S. G. (2016) Pineapple by-product and canola oil as partial fat replacers in low-fat beef burger: Effects on oxidative stability, cholesterol content and fatty acid profile. Meat Sci. 115, 9-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.01.002
- Siebert, K. J., Troukhanova, N. V., and Lynn, P. Y. (1996) Nature of polyphenol-protein interactions. J. Agr. Food Chem. 44, 80-85. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9502459
- Stadtman, E. R. and Levine, R. L. (2003) Free radical-mediated oxidation of free amino acids and amino acid residues in proteins. Amino Acids 25, 207-218. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-003-0011-2
- Sulniutė, V., Jaime, I., Rovira, J., and Venskutonis, P. R. (2016) Rye and wheat bran extracts isolated with pressurized solvents increase oxidative stability and antioxidant potential of beef meat hamburgers. J. Food Sci. 81, 519-527. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.13197
- Verhagen, H., Deerenberg, I., Marx, A., Hoor, F., Henderson, P. T., and Kleinjans, J. C. S. (1994) Estimate of the daily dietary intake of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene in the Netherlands. Food Chem. Toxicol. 28, 215-220.
- Witte, V. C., Krause, G. F., and Bailey, M. E. (1970) A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork and beef during storage. J. Food Sci. 35, 582-585. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1970.tb04815.x
- Yokozawa, T., Kim, Y. A., Kim, H. Y., Lee, Y. A., and Nonaka, G. (2007) Protective effect of persimmon peel polyphenol against high glucose-induced oxidative stress in LLC-PK1 cells. Food Chem. Toxicol. 45, 1979-1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.04.018
- Effect of Allium hookeri Root on Physicochemical, Lipid, and Protein Oxidation of Longissimus Dorsi Muscle Meatball vol.38, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2018.e53
- High value-added compounds from fruit and vegetable by-products – Characterization, bioactivities, and application in the development of novel food products pp.1549-7852, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2019.1572588
- Oxidative and microbiological stability of raw ground pork during chilled storage as affected by Plant extracts vol.22, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2019.1579834