- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effects of Empowerment Perception Level on Job Satisfaction of Hairdresser
헤어 미용사들의 지각된 임파워먼트가 직무만족에 미치는 영향
- Jeon, Seon-Bok (Dept. of Beauty Arts, Chosun College of Science & Technology)
- 전선복 (조선이공대학교 뷰티아트과)
- Received : 2017.03.03
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
This study attempted to determine differences between the perceived empowerment level and job satisfaction depending on hairdressers' demographic characteristics and analyze the effects of their empowerment on job satisfaction. For this, a total of 310 hairdressers in Gwangju-Jeonnam and Seoul-Gyeonggi-do were chosen through convenience sampling, and then a questionnaire survey was conducted. The valid 277 copies were used for final analysis. For data analysis, descriptive statistics, factor analysis, reliability analysis, t-test, ANOVA, Duncan's test, and multiple regression analysis were conducted using SPSS 15.0. The study results found the following: First, in terms of the subordinate factors of empowerment, the following four factors were found: meaningfulness, self-determination, competence, and impact. Second, depending on demographic characteristics (e.g., age, career, type of beauty salon, job title, punch-in time, monthly pay), a statistically significant difference was found between empowerment and job satisfaction (p<.01). Third, hairdressers' perceived empowerment level had a positive impact on job satisfaction (p<.01). In terms of the empowerment on job satisfaction by sub-factor, 'self-determination' was largest, followed by 'meaningfulness' and 'competence.' Therefore, beauty salon owners need to manage their business more efficiently by converging cosmetology and business management by expanding empowerment among hairdressers properly after recognizing the importance of hairdresser empowerment.
- K. O. Chae, A study on the reform of cosmetician's turnover by factor's analysis. Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp.245-263, 2008.
- W. S. Choi, Empirical Study on Factors Affecting Job Satisfaction in Beauty Industry. Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.805-823, 2008.
- K. S. Kwak & Y. S. Song, The Relation between the Job Satisfaction Factors, Degree of Occupational Satisfaction and Turnover Intention of Hair Beauty Service Industry Workers in Korea. Journal of the Korean society of cosmetology, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp.583-589, 2014.
- E. H. Oh & B. Y. Chung, The Effect of Empowerment on Nursing Performance, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover Intention in Hospital Nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp.391-401, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.391
- Y. H. Kim & Y. J. Yoo, Relationships among Employee's Empowerment, Organizational Commitment, Service Recovery, and Performance in the Food Service Industry. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Studies, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp.72-86, 2007.
- H. Y. Jeong, Effects of Achievement Motivation of Hairdressers on Job Satisfaction. Journal of the Korean society of cosmetology, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp.688-695, 2014.
- R. H. Lee & Y. S. Song, A study on the effects of empowerment on job satisfactions and organizational commitments of hair artists. Journal of the Korean society of cosmetology, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.19-29, 2014.
- J. C. Baik, Y. G. Kim & J. H. Yoon, The Influence of Leadership Patterns on Empowerment and Organizational Commitment of Workers Hotel. Journal of Tourism Sciences, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp.73-95, 2002.
- Parker, L. E. & Price, R. H., Empowered managers and empowered employees: The effect of managerial support and managerial perceived control on workers' sense of control over decision making. Human Relations, Vol. 47, pp.911-928, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679404700803
- Dimitriades, Z. S., Employee empowerment in the Greek context. International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.80-92, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437720510587299
- Thomas, K. W. & Velthouse, B. A., Cognitive element of empowerment: An interpretive model of intrinsic task motivation. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp.666-681, 1990. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1990.4310926
- Bowen, D. & Lawer, E., The empowerment of service workers; What, how, and when. Sloan management Review, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp.31-39, 1992.
- Spreitzer, G. M., Psychological empowerment in the workplace: Dimensions, measurement, and validation. Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp.1442-1465. 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- Ugboro, I. O. & Obeng, K., Top management leadership, employee empowerment, job satisfaction, and customer satisfaction in TQM organizations: An empirical study. Journal of Quality Management, Vol. 5, pp.247-272, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1084-8568(01)00023-2
- Chow, I. H., Lo, T. W., Sha, Z. & Hong, J., The Impact of Developmental Experience, Empowerment, and Organizational Support on Catering Service Staff Performance. International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp.478-495, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2005.03.002
- B. J. Min & K. H. Park, Study on the Effect of Team Empowerment of Hotel Organization on the Non-Financial Job Performance. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Studies, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp.115-133, 2004.
- Beatty, R. W. & Schneier, C. E., Personnel Administration: An Experimental Skill Building Approach. New York: Addison Wesley, pp.357-358, 1981.
- Locke, E. A., The nature and causes of job satisfaction, in M. D. dunnette, handbook of industrial and organizational psychology. Chicago: Rand McNally College publishing company, pp.1297-1349, 1976.
- Brown, S. P. & Peterson, R. A., 1993, Antecedents and consequences of salesperson job satisfaction: A meta-analysis and assessment of causal effects, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.66-70, 1993.
- Y. G. kim & S. Y. Yoon, A Study of the Influence of Empowerment, Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment of Travel Agency Employees on Turnover Intention. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.303-323, 2009.
- S. H. Shin, A Study on empowerment perception level and job satisfaction of dental hygienists. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp.437-444, 2011.
- P. S. Yoo, The Effect of the Empowerment on School Adjustment of High School Students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.171-196, 2008.
- H. J. Oh, Y. T. Hong & J. G. Choi, A Study on the Effects of Hotel Employees Empowerment on Service Recovery, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment. Journal of Photo Geography, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp.125-138, 2010.
- E. K. Kim & S. H. Jung. Job Satisfaction and It's Relationship to Intention to Quit of Employees in the Cosmetologist. Journal of The Korean Society of cosmetology, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.233-244, 2007.
- Conger, J. A. & Kanungo, R. N., The empowerment process: Integrating theory and practice. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.471-482, 1988. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1988.4306983
- J. K. Jun & C. W. Lee, The Effects of Empowerment on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions in the Hotel Industry. Korean Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp.169-184, 2001.
- J. C. Heo, A Convergence study the Effect of the social capital discovery program on empowerment and career preparation activity of female college students. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp.219-228, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.219
- A. J. Cha & S. J. Kang, The Convergent Relationship of Fatigue, CPR-related Stress and Job Satisfaction Long-term Care Hospital Nurse. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp.167-175, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.3.167
- M. S. Choi & D. H. Ji, The comparative study on changes in job satisfaction and turnover intention according to the convergence mediating factors and the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp.27-34, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.027
- S. C. Choi, J. S. Lee, S. Y. Sim, J. H. Lee & J. H. Park, The effect job stress and depression on job satisfaction among workers in small and medium sized enterprises. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 7, No.1, pp.1-9, 2017.