- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The immediate effects of spiral taping on improvement of gait ability in patients with chronic stroke
나선형 테이핑 적용이 만성 뇌졸중 환자의 보행능력 개선에 미치는 즉각적인 효과
- Kim, Dong-Dae (Dept. of Physical therapy, Gangdong College) ;
- Park, Shin-Jun (Dept. of Physical therapy, Gangdong College)
- Received : 2017.02.27
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the immediate effects of spiral taping applied to an affected leg on gait ability in stroke patients. Forty two stroke patients were divided into a spiral taping group (n=21) and a quadriceps femoris group (n=21), and each taping method was applied. Spatiotemporal Gait Parameters (Cadence, speed, gait cycle duration, stance phase duration, double support duration) were measured using the 10-meter walk test, the dynamic gait index (DGI) and an accelerometer for both groups. Both groups showed a significant increase in a 10-minute walk, the DGI, cadence, speed before and after the intervention, whereas no significant difference was detected in stance phase duration, gait cycle duration and double support duration on the affected side in all groups. All groups revealed no significant difference in variation. It has been found that the two taping methods augment gait ability in patients with stroke. This study suggests that spiral taping can be an easily applicable method at home.
Stroke;Taping;10meter walk test;Dynamic gait index;Accelerometer
- S. G. Roh, J. H. Kim, "Acute Cerebrovascular Accident in Korea." Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 3. No. 4, pp. 23-28. 2013.
- Ma. V. Y, Chan. L, Carruthers. K. J. "Incidence, prevalence, costs, and impact on disability of common conditions requiring rehabilitation in the United States: stroke, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, multiple sclerosis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, limb loss, and back pain." Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, Vol. 95. No5, pp. 986-995. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2013.10.032
- Bleyenheuft. C, Bleyenheuft Y, Hanson. P, Deltombe. T, "Treatment of genu recurvatum in hemiparetic adult patients: a systematic literature review." Annals of physical and rehabilitation medicine. Vol. 53 No. 3, pp. 189-199. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rehab.2010.01.001
- Chen. C. L, Chen. H. C, Tang. S. F. T, Wu. C. Y, Cheng. P. T, Hong. W. H. "Gait performance with compensatory adaptations in stroke patients with different degrees of motor recovery." American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Vol. 82. No. 12, pp. 925-935. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PHM.0000098040.13355.B5
- Choi. H. H. "Functional Isokinetic Strength Ratios of the Quadriceps and Hamstrings in Individuals with Chronic Post stroke Hemiparesis." KOSAPE, Vol. 13 No. 4, pp. 135-147. 2005.
- Flansbjer. U. B, Downham. D, Lexell. J. "Knee muscle strength, gait performance, and perceived participation after stroke." Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, Vol. 87. No. 7, pp. 974-980. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.03.008
- Kwon. O. S, Lee. S. W, Seo. D. K, Kim. J. S. "The Effects of Exercise-induced Fatigue on Knee Joint Position Sense in the Young, Elderly Adults and Stroke Patients." Journal of The Korean Society of Physical Medicine, Vol. 8 No. 4, pp. 619-625. 2013. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.4.619
- Kim. S. M. "The effects of taping on musculoskeletal system pain and dysfunction." Journal of Coaching Development, Vol. 9 No. 3, pp. 81-93. 2007.
- Jaraczewska. E, Long. C. "Kinesio taping in stroke: improving functional use of the upper extremity in hemiplegia." Topics in stroke rehabilitation, Vol. 13 No. 3, pp. 31-42. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1310/33KA-XYE3-QWJB-WGT6
- Yoshida. A, Kahanov. L. "The effect of kinesio taping on lower trunk range of motions." Research in sports medicine, Vol. 15 No. 2, pp. 103-112. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/15438620701405206
- Kim. S. H, Kim. H. J. "The Effects of a Kinesio Taping on Muscle Activity and Muscle Fatigue in Quadriceps Femoris." Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 63. pp. 663-671. 2016.
- Kim. W. I, Choi. Y. K, Lee. J. H, Park. Y. H. "The effect of muscle facilitation using kinesio taping on walking and balance of stroke patients." Journal of physical therapy science, Vol. 26. No. 11, pp. 1831-1834. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.26.1831
- Ekiz. T, Aslan. M. D, Ozgirgin. N. "Effects of Kinesio Tape application to quadriceps muscles on isokinetic muscle strength, gait, and functional parameters in patients with stroke." Journal of rehabilitation research and development, Vol. 52. No. 3, pp. 323-332. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2014.10.0243
- Choi. Y. K, Nam. C. W, Lee. J. H, Park. Y. H. "The effects of taping prior to PNF treatment on lower extremity proprioception of hemiplegic patients." Journal of physical therapy science, Vol. 25. No. 9, pp. 1119-1122. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.25.1119
- Kim. Y. R, Kim. J. I, Kim. Y. Y, Kang. K. Y, Kim. B. K, Park. J. H, An. H. J, Min. K. O. "Effects of ankle joint taping on postural balance control in stroke patients." Journal of International Academy of Physical Therapy Research, Vol. 3. No. 2, pp. 446-452. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5854/JIAPTR.2012.10.30.446
- Oh. K. A, Jeon. D. J, Lee. B. H, Kang. M. G, Lee. J. H. "The Effect on Improving Static Balance Ability According to Elastic Taping Methods in Stroke Patients with Hemiplegia." Korean Journal of Exercise Rehabilitation, Vol. 7. No. 3, pp. 81-88. 2001.
- Green. J, Forster. A, Young. J. "Reliability of gait speed measured by a timed walking test in patients one year after stroke." Clinical Rehabilitation, Vol. 16. No. 3, pp. 306-314. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215502cr495oa
- An. S. H, Seo. H. D, Chung. Y. J. "Reliability and validity the Korean version of the dynamic gait index in patients with stroke." J Spec Edu & Rehab Sci, Vol. 50. No. 50, pp. 286-306. 2011.
- Pau M, Leban B, Collu G, Migliaccio GM. "Effect of light and vigorous physical activity on balance and gait of older adults. Arch Gerontol Geriatr." Arch Gerontol Geriatr. Vol. 59. No. 3, pp. 568-573. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2014.07.008
- Lee. H. K, Hwang. S. J, Cho. S. P, Lee. D. R, You. S. H, Lee. K. J, Kim. Y. Ho, Chung, H. J. (2009). "Development of a novel step detection algorithm for gait evaluation of patients with hemiplegia based on trunk accelerometer." Journal of Biomedical Engineering Research, Vol. 30. No. 3, pp. 213-220. 2009.
- Langendoen. J, Sertel. K. "Kinesiology Taping." pp. 116-119. Robert Rose Inc, 2014.
- Wang. J. S, Um. G. M, Choi. J. H. "Immediate effects of kinematic taping on lower extremity muscle tone and stiffness in flexible flat feet." Journal of physical therapy science, Vol. 28. No. 4, pp. 1339-342. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.1339
- Tamburella. F, Scivoletto. G, Molinari. M. "Somatosensory inputs by application of KinesioTaping: effects on spasticity, balance, and gait in chronic spinal cord injury." Frontiers in human neuroscience, Vol. 8, pp. 367-367. 2013.
- Lee. Y. S, Kwak. C. S, Lee. C. I, Kim. T. G. "Effects of lower extremity stability by kinesio taping method in elite speed skating athletes' one-leg jumping." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13. No. 8, pp. 495-502. 2015.
- Maguire. C, Sieben. J. M, Frank. M., Romkes. J. "Hip abductor control in walking following stroke--the immediate effect of canes, taping and TheraTogs on gait." Clinical rehabilitation, Vol. 24. No. 1, pp. 37. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215509342335
- Chang, W. D., Chang, N. J., Lin, H. Y., & Lai, P. T. (2015). "Changes of Plantar Pressure and Gait Parameters in Children with Mild Cerebral Palsy Who Used a Customized External Strap Orthosis: A Crossover Study." BioMed research international, Vol. 2015, pp. 813942-813942. 2015.
- Langendoen. J, Fleish-man. C, Kim. S. H, An. H. J. (2016). "Rationales and Evidence of Elastic Taping: A clinician's per-spective." Journal of International Academy of Physical Therapy Research, Vol. 7. No. 1, pp. 979-988. 2016.
- Jeon. S. B, Choi. H. S. " Effects of Side Walking Training on Balance and Gait in Stroke Patients" Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 13. No. 10, pp. 541-548. 2015.
- Choi. H. S, Jeon. S. B, "Effect of Backward Walking Training on Balance Capability and Gait Performance in Patients With Stroke" Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 13. No. 1, pp. 367-373. 2015.
- Kuk. E. J. "The Effects of Upper and Lower Limb Coordinated Exercise in One Leg Support or non Support on Gait Ability in Chronic Stroke Patients" Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 11. No. 7, pp. 367-373. 2013.
- Jeong. M. K, Oh. D. W. Effects of 12-week balance training with visual feedback on balance and walking functions in patients with chronic stroke" Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 11. No. 11, pp. 537-544. 2013.