- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The effect of Jeon-buk area daytime ward occupational therapy convergent activity on hand function, cognitive function and IADL in people with dementia
전북지역 낮 병동 작업치료 융복합활동프로그램이 치매환자의 손기능, 인지기능 및 수단적 일상생활활동에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Hyun-Gi (JeongEup Asan Hospital Dept. of Neuropsychiatry) ;
- Lee, Min-Young (JeongEup Asan Hospital Dept. of Neuropsychiatry) ;
- Kim, Ko-Un (Dept. of Rehabilitation Science, The Graduate School of Daegu University) ;
- Oh, Hye-Won (Dept. of Occupatinal Therapy Woosuk University)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
This study developed a occupational therapy convergent activity program to provide dementia patients admitted to the daytime ward, and investigated the program's effect on the hand and cognitive functions and instrumental activities of daily living. A total of 34 dementia patients were divided into two groups: a convergent occupational therapy program and medication were provided for 17 patients, and medication alone was provided for a control group of 17. The intervention was performed for 24 weeks, 8 times per week, 192 times in total. A handgrip strength test was performed to examine hand function before and after the intervention, and the MMSE-K and GDS were performed to evaluate cognitive function. In addition, the K-IADL was used to assess instrumental activities of daily living. With intervention, the experimental group showed significant improvements in hand and cognitive function and instrumental activities of daily living. In contrast, the control group did not show improvements in hand and cognitive function or instrumental activities of daily living. In conclusion, the study showed that a convergent/integrated activity program for occupational therapy has a positive effect on hand and cognitive function as well as instrumental activities of daily living.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Persons with Disabilities Survey, 2015.
- J. S. Kuiper, M. Zuidersma, R. C. O. Voshaar, S. U. Zuidema, E. R. van den Heuvel, R. P. Stolk, N. Smidt, "Social relationships and risk of dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal cohort studies", Ageing research reviews, Vol. 22, pp.39-57, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2015.04.006
- S. Curran, E. Russell, A. Burns, "Treatment of cognitive deficits in Alzheimer's Disease". Primary Care Psychiatry, Vol. 3, pp.151-162, 1997.
- A. F. Jorm, A. E. Korten, "Assessment of cognitive decline in the elderly by informant interview", The British Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 152, No. 2, pp.209-213, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.152.2.209
- J. A. Lee, "An Exploratory Study on Development Strategies for Dementia Policy of Korea based on Dementia Policy of Japan", Vol. 14, No. 11, pp.71-79, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.71
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Persons with Disabilities Survey, 2008.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Second National Dementia Management Master Plan. pp.4-21, Seoul, Korea, 2012.
- J. Olazaran, B. Reisberg, L. Clare, I. Cruz, J.Pena-Casanova, T. Del Ser, B. Woods, C. Beck, and S. Auer, "Nonpharmacological therapies in Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review of efficacy," Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.161-178, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1159/000316119
- B. H. Chong, "The Effect of Cognitive Occupational Therapy in Community Living Elders with Mild Cognitive Impairment and Dementia". Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 11, No. 3, pp.317-325, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.3.317
- J. S. Kang, I. H. Jeong, J. H. Yang, "Effects on senior fitness, cognitive function and daily living activity of female elderly with light dementia by continuous and intermittent exercises". Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp.4234-4243, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4234
- H. W. Oh, K. U. Kim, "(The)Effect of Convergence Tailed Occupational Therapy Activities Program on Mental Stability and Social Participation in Elderly People with Mild Cognitive Impairment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp.449-457, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.449
- B. Y. Song, K. J. Cheong, A. N. Choi, "The Effects of Group Music Therapy with the Use of Korean Classical Music on Cognitive Function and Life Satisfaction in the Elderly at Daycare Facilities". Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp.125-138, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2014.32.6.125
- Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia, "Cognitive Health Center Program Manual 1, Seoul: Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia", pp.96-98, 2008.
- Y. C. Gwon, J. H. Bak. "Development of the Test for the Elderly = Korean Version of Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE-K)", Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp.125-135, 1989.
- B. Reisberg, S. H. Ferris, M. J. De Leon. "Global deterioration scale (GDS)". Psychopharmacol Bull, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.661-663, 1988.
- S. H. Choi, D. L. Na, B. H. Lee, D. S. Hahm, J. H. Jeong, Y. Jeong, E. J. Koo, C. K. Ha, S. S. Ahn. "The Validity of the Korean Version of Global Deterioration Scale", Korean Neurological Association. Vol. 20, No. 6, pp.612-617, 2002.
- S. J. Kang, S. H. Choi, B. H. .Lee, J. C. Kwon, (2002). "The Reliability and Validity of the Korean Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (K-IADL)" Journal of Korean Neurological Association, Vol 20, No. 1, pp.8-14, 2002.
- E. Fess, C. Moran, "Clinical Assessment Recommendation". American Society Hand Therapists. pp.6-8, Philadelphia, 1981.
- H. H. Dodge, T. Kadowaki, T. Hayakawa, M. Yamakawa, A. Sekikawa, H. Ueshima. "Cognitive impairment as a strong predictor of incident disability in specific ADL-IADL tasks among community-dwelling elders: the Azuchi Study", The Gerontologist, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp.222-230, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/45.2.222
- American Occupational Therapy Association. "Occupational therapy practice framework: Domain and process". American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 6S (Suppl. 1), S1-S48. 2014.
- J. S. Wang, J. S. Kim, S. H. Kim. "The Effects of Hand Movement Exercise Program on the Improvement of Cognitive Function in the Dementia Old Adult". The Korean Academy of Physical Therapy Science. Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.21-29, 2009.
- C. M. Giebel, C. Sutcliffe, M. Stolt, S. Karlsson, A. Renom-Guiteras, M. Soto, D. & Challis. "Deterioration of basic activities of daily living and their impact on quality of life across different cognitive stages of dementia: a European study". International Psychogeriatrics, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp.1283-1293, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610214000775
- Jung-Sook Ahn, "Effect of Hand-knitting on Cognition and Activity of Daily Living(ADL) of Dementia Elders". MS dissertation. Catholic University of Pusan. 2016.
- S. B. Yun, C. K. Jo, A. N. Choi. "The Effects of Group Music Therapy with the Use of Korean Classical Music on Cognitive Function and Life Satisfaction in the Elderly at Daycare Facilities". Journal of Korean Home Management Association. Vol. 32, No. 6, pp.125-138, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2014.32.6.125
- Hae-Ri Lee, "Impact of mandala group art therapy on cognitive functions and depression of seniors with early-stage dementia". MS dissertation. Kyonggi University, 2014.
- Hyun-Joo Kim, "(The)efficacy of the combined program of exercise and cognitive rehabilitation for the elderly people with mild dementia". Ph.D, dissertation. Korea University, 2010.
- A. B. Newberg, "Medication Effects on Cognitive Function and CBF in Subjects with Memory Loss". Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. Vol. 20, No. 20, pp.517-5262, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-2010-1391
- M. J. Ham, Y. H. Hwang, S. Um, E. J. Oh, B. J. Jeon, H. K. Park, D. H. Kim, "The effect of a computerized cognitive program (Rehacom) for the elderly with dementia using Daily Instrumental Activities : Pilot Study", The Journal of Korean Society of Assistive Technology, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp.41-49, 2010.