- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Multicultural Experience on Empathy in Adolescents: Focused on Mediating Effect of Multicultural Acceptance and Cultural Empathy
청소년의 다문화경험이 공감능력에 미치는 영향: 다문화수용성과 문화적 공감의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2017.02.27
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship among multicultural experience, multicultural acceptance, cultural empathy, and empathy in adolescents. Moreover, the study attempted to reveal that how multicultural experience had an effect on empathy and whether multicultural acceptance and cultural empathy had an indirect effect. Based on previous researches, a study model was established. Data were collected and analyzed from 266 adolescents. The results were as follows. There was positive correlation between main variables and adolescents' multicultural experience had an effect on empathy via the path of mediating multicultural acceptance and cultural empathy. Therefore, it was suggested to develop programs which improve multicultural acceptance and cultural empathy. However, they should be offered differentially and implemented sustainedly in stages.
Adolescents;Multicultural experience;Multicultural acceptance;Cultural empathy;Empathy
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Younglong Koo, "Impact of the quality of peer relationships and empathy on relational aggression in elementary school children.", Department of Education, Graduate School of Konkuk Unversity, 2016.
- H. R. Geum, "The Effect of Adolescents' Self-Efficacy and Multicultural Experience on Multicultural Awareness", Department of Education, Graduate School of korea university, 2013.
- Dae-Chul Kim, "A Study on Middle School Students' Perception of Multiculture", Graduate School of Education, Daejin University, 2013.
- Dong-ho Gim, "The Effect on Burnout by Multicultural Counselor's Cultural competence: Mediating Effect of Empathy ability and Feminist therapist competence.", Graduate School of Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, Korea, 2013.
- Y. S. Kim. S. E. Choi, H. S. Kwon, " A Study on the Meaning of Interactive Cultural Empathy in Primary School.", Korean Language and Culture Education Society, Vol. 2015, No. 4, pp. 52-58, 2015.
- Eunhye Kim, Jimin Sung, "A Study on Cultural Sensitivity, Empathy and Self-Efficacy in Undergraduate Health and Social Welfare Students.", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 2769-2779, 2014
- JungMi Kim, "The relationship among empathy, peer influence, social support and aggression of high school students.", Korean journal of educational research, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 49-72, 2009
- Jungdeok Kim, Eunkyoung Lee, "A study of the relationship between the multicultural interaction awareness and global competence in college students.", The korea association for core competency education, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 67-94 ,2014
- Jung-yun Kim, "A study on color-blind racial attitudes and cultural competence of service providers in multicultural settings : focusing on moderating effects of cultural empathy and multicultural training.", Department of Social Welfare, Graduate School of The Catholic University of Kore, 2013.
- Jeehyun Kim, "The Relations between Attachment to Parents, Adolescent's Empathy, and Their Conflict-resolution Strategies to Friends." Department of Child Welfare, The Graduate School of Sookmyung Women's University, 2012.
- Sunghye Min, Minyoung Lee, "A Exploratory Study about the Cultural Competence of University Students-focused on the Cultural Awareness-" Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 11, No. 1, 183-206, 2009.
- MeeHye Park, "The Effects of Elementary School Students' Multicultural Awareness and Multicultural Experience, Parents' Stereotype on Multicultural afficacy in Elementary School Students.", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 2749-2757, 2014.
- S. H. Park, "Empathy and prosocial behavior", seoul mun-eumsa, 1997.
- Sunhee Park, SunAe Kim, "Cultural Experience and Multi-Cultural Awareness in Early Adolescent: Relationship among Openness, Acceptance, and Respect -Focused on G metropolitan city-.", Korea Youth Research Association, Vol. 19, No. 7, pp. 27-50, 2012.
- Jiyoung Park, Kyungja Cho, "Empathy and cultural impact of the pre-service early childhood teachers on multicultural education and multicultural sensitivity and understanding attitude.", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 10, pp. 439-448, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.10.439
- Hyewon Park, "(A) study of effects of empathy training on the empathic ability and the self-esteem of junior high school students.", Department of Education, The Graduate School Yonsei University, 2002.
- B. R Bae, "(Amos 21) Principles and Practices of Structural Equation Modeling.", seoul cheonglam. 2014
- Eunhye Son, "A study on the multicultural education environment of Japan : focusing on K region of Japan.", Department of Ethics Education, The Graduate Education Seoul National University, 2015.
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, National Survey of Multicultural Families in 2015 (National Approval Statistics No. 11779, Korea Women's Policy Institute, 2015.
- G. J. Yun, "The Effects of Cultural Empathy, Critical Thinking Disposition and Problem-Solving on the Cultural Competence of Early Childhood Preservice Teachers.", Korean journal of culture and arts education studies, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp.105-129, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15815/kjcaes.2014.9.3.105
- I. J. Yun, Y. H. Song, " South Koreans' Perceptions of National Identity and Acceptance of Multiculturalism.", The Korean Journal of Unification Affairs, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 143-192, 2011.
- Sunyoung Lee, "Expandability of Empathy as Elements of Multicutural citizenship.", Global Studies Education, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 47-68, 2013.
- Jungwoo Lee, "A Study on Students' and Parents' Attitudes Toward Diversity.", Social studies education, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 297-320, 2009.
- Jiyoung Lee, "(A) study on multicultural acceptability of middle school students.", Department of Ethics Education, The Graduate School Seoul National University, 2013.
- Insil Chang, Hyejin Lee, "Department of Ethics Education, The Graduate School Seoul National University.", The Korean Association for Multicultural Education, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 55-87, 2010.
- Myungsun Chung, "The Effects of Empathy Training Group Art Therapy on Adolescents with Histories of School Violence : Focusing on the Variables of Emotional Empathy and Aggression.", Studies on Korea Youth, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 51-77, 2010.
- Seogweon Chung, "Affecting factors on the multicultural acceptance of adolescents.", Department of Social Studies Education, Graduate School of Kongju National University, 2014.
- Seogweon Chung, Jinchul Jung, "The effects of multicultural educational experience and social distance on the multicultural acceptance of adolescents.", Multicultural Education Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 51-68, 2012.
- Hanik Jo, Mihwa Lee,"The Mediating Effect of Prosocial Behavior in the Relation between Empathic Ability and Psychological Well-being.", Korean journal of youth studies, Vo1. 17, No. 11, pp. 139-158, 2010.
- Yeonwoo Jung, "A Study on the Prosocial Behavior in Adolescent : Focused on Motivation, Psychological Experiences from Helping, and Empathy.", Department of Education, The Graduate School Kangnam University, 2013.
- Statistical Office, Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, Youth Statistics for 2016, Ministry of Gender Equality and Youth Policy, 2016.
- KyoungAe Ha, "Analysis of Elementary Students' Attitude toward Cultural Diversity and Factors Influencing Attitude.", Department of Elementary Education, The Graduate School of Education Ewha Womans University, 2010.
- Korea Women's Policy Institute, National multicultural acceptance research. Korea Women's Policy Institute, 2012.
- Myungsu Han, "(The) Effects of an Empathy Training Program to prevention of the an delinquent adolescents.", Department of Education, The Graduate School Pusan National University, 2000.
- Sujin Han, Jinkyung Jung, "The relationship between elementary students' multicultural experiences and intercultural sensitivity.", Journal of Korean Council for Children and Rights, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 173-194, 2012.
- Yujeong Han, SoonHye Kim, "The Mediating Effect of Conflict Resolution Strategies on the Relation between Empathy and Friendship of the Early.", Korean journal of youth studies, Vol. 22, No. 12, pp. 471-491, 2015.
- Dahyeon Hwang, "Elementary Multicultural Education program Development and Implementation through Empathy.", Department of Social Science Education, Graduate School of Education Korea Notional University of Education, 2014.
- Jimin Hwang, "The Factors Affecting Ordinary Children's Sense of Social Distance from Those in Multi-Cultural Family.",Department of Social Welfare, Graduate School Daegu University, 2009.
- Hyundai Economic Research Institute, Features and Implications of Domestic Multiculturalism. Economic Research Division, 2009
- Brown, R and Hewstone, M, "An Integrative Theory of Intergroup Contact.", Advances in Experimental Social Psychology 37. 2005.
- Davis, M. H., "A multidimensional approach to individual differences in empathy.", Catalog of Selected Documents in Psychology, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 1-17. 1990.
- Hoffman, M. L, "Development of Prosocial Motivation: Empathy and Guilt, In N. Eisenberg(Ed.).", The Development of Prosocial Behavior, New York : Academic press, 1992.
- Leung, A, and Chiu, C, " Multicultural experience, idea recptiveness and creativity.", Journal of cross-Cultural Psychology, pp. 169-181, 2009.
- Ridley, C. R., & Lingle, D.W., " Cultural empathy in multicultural couseling: A multidimensional process model. IN P.B Pedersen, J,G, Draguns, W.J.Lonner, & J.E.Trimble(Eds).", Counseling across cultures(4th ed., pp21-46). Thousand Oak, CA:sage, 1996.
- Wang, Y.W.M Davison, M.M., Yakushko, O.F., Savoy, H.B., Tan, J.A. & Bleier, J.K, " The Scale of Ethnocultura Empathy: Development, Validation, and Reliability.", Journal of counseling Psychology, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 221-234, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206
- Ward, J. M, "The relationship of preservice teacher's cross-cultural experiences with their belief about teaching diverse students.", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kansas State University, 1996.
- So-Jeong Park, Yang-Ja Bae, Sun-Hee Park, Sun-Ae Kim, "The Effect on the Marital Satisfaction to marriage immigrant wives whose spouse of in an old age : Focusing on Social service and Human support, Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 13, No. 11, 493-507, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.493
- Young-Ae Jung, Hyeong-Soo Kim, "A Method of Using Digital Map to Improve Multicultural Education Efficiency : A Design of 'e-Atlas of Society and Culture' for Marriage Immigrant Women to Overcome Contextual Limitations", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, 13-21, 2014.
- Sun-hee Park, "Effects of an Integrative Art Therapy Program on Self-Efficacy and Conflict Coping Strategies in Marriage Migrant Women", Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 14, No. 11, 565-575, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.565
- Weon-Hee Moon, Myoungjin Kwon, Young-Hee Kim, "Converging Influence of Empathy and Prejudice against Mental Illness on Discriminatory Behavior toward the Mentally Illness Patients in the Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 6, pp. 81-88, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.081
- Min-Kyeong Kim, "Relationship of Multicultural Adolescents' Stress, Depression, Family Resilience and Internet Game Addiction", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7 No. 1, pp. 205-210, 2016.
- Jae-Il Yi, Jung Soo Han, "A study on developing a Learning material Screening system for improving foreign language learning efficiency", Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 7, No.1, pp. 87-92, 2017. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.1.087
- Kyung-Ihl Kim, Ji-Young Park, "Cultural Differences impact on the ERP System Implementation", Journal of IT Convergence Society for SMB, Vo1.6, No.2, pp. 1-9, 2016.