- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Usage of Smartphones for English Listening Activity
디지털 융합 영어 듣기 활동을 위한 스마트폰 활용 연구
- Choi, Mi Yang (Baird College, Soongsil Univ.)
- 최미양 (숭실대학교 베어드학부대학)
- Received : 2017.02.28
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
This study investigates the usage of smartphones in English listening activities. 71 students answered the 10-item questionnaire after doing listening activity using their own smartphone for one semester in the course of Practical English listening and reading. The findings show that listening activity done with smartphone enhanced students' interest in English listening and improved their English listening skills because smart phones made customized learning possible. However, the major limitation of using smart phone is that students are distracted during activity by smart phones' other functions such as SMS and messenger. To reduce such distraction, I suggest that individual listening activity with smart phones be mixed with instructor-led activity using a classroom computer in about 50 to 50 ratio. The ratio might vary depending on the level of students' English listening skills. These findings will make a contribution to the boost of digital convergence English learning.
- Sunyoung Chang & Hyejin Kim, "M-learning as a strategy for motivating student in the EFL class." The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 713-727, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17927/tkjems.2011.23.4.713
- Said F. E. S. A. Fattah, "The effectiveness of using WhatsApp messenger as one of mobile learning techniques to develop students' writing skills." Journal of Education and Practice, Vol. 6, No. 32, pp. 115-127, 2015.
- Seikyung Cho, Sangmin Lee, Jungtae Kim, Bumsuk Ko, & Euisuk Jeong, "A development model of web-based English language learning programs." Multimedia-Assisted Language Learning, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 213-238, 2008.
- S. Yang, "Exploring college students' attitudes and self-efficacy of mobile learning." TOJET: The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 148-154, 2012.
- S. Wang & S. Smith, "Reading and grammar learning through mobile phones." Language Learning & Technology: A Refereed Journal for Second and Foreign Language Educators, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 117-134, 2013.
- Kyeong Ok Yoon & Yang On Rah, "College-level students' perception of a smart-phone application as a learning tool in English class." The Journal of Humanities Studies, Vol. 101, pp. 513-533, 2015.
- R. K. Agca & S. Ozdemir, "Foreign language vocabulary learning with mobile technologies." Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 83, pp. 781-785, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.147
- Chiu-Jung Chen, "Using concept mapping instruction in mobile phone to learning English vocabulary." Creative Education, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 4-6, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4236/ce.2014.51002
- O. Suwantarathip, & W. Orawiwatnakul, "Using mobile-assisted exercises to support students' vocabulary skill development." TOJET: The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 163-171, 2015.
- Neil Davie & Tobias Hilber, "Mobile-assisted language learning: Student attitudes to using smartphones to learn English vocabulary." Paper presented at the International Association for Development of the Information Society (IADIS) International Conference on Mobile Learning (11th, Madeira, Portugal, Mar 14-16, 2015).
- Young-Sang Kim, "A study of smart convergence design of English vocabulary learning contents applying the periodic repetitive method." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 4, pp. 133-140, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.4.133
- Byung-Wan Kim, "A study on convergence of mobile learning UX platform service for English learning." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 5, pp. 155-160, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.155
- Mehrak Rahimi & Elham Soleymani, "The impact of mobile learning on listening anxiety and listening comprehension." English Language Teaching, Vol. 8, No. 10, pp. 152-161, 2015.
- Hea-Suk Kim, "Emerging mobile apps to improve English listening skills." Multimedia-Assisted Learning, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 11-30. 2013.
- Kyung-Mi O, "The effectiveness of mobile assisted language learning on L2 listening comprehension." Multimedia-Assisted Learning, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 135-158, 2015.
- Ki Chune Nah, Peter White & Roland Sussex, "The potential of using a mobile phone to access the Internet for learning EFL listening skills within a Korean context." ReCALL, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 331-347, 2008.
- Bowen Yang, Shijun Zhou & Weijie Ju, "Learning English speaking through mobile-based role-plays: the exploration of a mobile English language learning app called Engage." The EUROCALL Review, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 27-38, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4995/eurocall.2013.9788
- Patrick J. Kiernan & Kazumi Aizawa, "Cell phones in task based learning: are cell phones useful language learning tools?" ReCALL, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 71-84, 2004.
- Jae Kyung Kim & Ki-Sang Song, "A comparison of web-based and mobile-assisted English writing using smart media." Journal of Korean Institute of Information Technology, Vol. 10, No. 12, pp. 197-204. 2012.
- Zhi Li & Volker Hegelheimer, "Mobile-assisted grammar exercises: effects on self-editing in L2 writing." Language Learning & Technology, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 135-156, 2013.
- A. Kukulska-Hulme & L. Shield, "An overview of mobile assisted language learning: from content delivery to supported collaboration and interaction." Recall, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 271-289, 2008.
- M. Lu, "Effectiveness of vocabulary learning via mobile phone." Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 515-525, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2729.2008.00289.x
- Sook Kyung Jung, "A study on the college students' use and perception of smartphones for English learning." Multimedia-Assisted Language Learning, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 165-185, 2012.
- Ana Nino, "Language learners perceptions and experiences on the use of mobile applications for independent language learning in higher education." The IAFOR Journal of Education, Special ed., pp. 73-84, 2015.
- Eunjee Kim & Jie Young Jang, "Uses of smartphone apps for English listening practice." Studies in English Education, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 27-53, 2015.
- Viji Ramamuruthy & Srinivasa Rao, "Smartphones promote autonoumous learning in ESL classrooms." Malaysian Online Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 23-35, 2015.
- Myeong-Hee Shin, "The effect of convergence for pronunciation and listening activities on listening ability and learning interests." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 3, pp. 71-75, 2016 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.3.071
- Shin-Hyeong Choi, "A study on smart campus information services." Journal of Convergence Society for SMB, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 79-83, 2016.