- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of movie audience's degree of attention on experience of presence, emotional touch, memory
영화 관객의 주목도가 프레즌스, 감동, 기억에 미치는 영향
- Park, Dug-Chun (Dept. of media Communication, Dongseo University)
- 박덕춘 (동서대학교 미디어커뮤니케이션학부)
- Received : 2017.02.27
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.04.28
This experimental research explores the effect of low attention of movie audience on the experience of presence, the degree of emotional touch, and memory about movie contents, because of indiscreet use of smart phone. This study measured and analyzed the experience frequency of presence, degree of emotional touch and recognition memory about movie contents by self report survey, after showing 2 subject groups consisting of 83 University students, one with not manipulated attention, the other with manipulated attention, using smart phone intentionally. This research found that the subjects exposed to the movie with not manipulated attention showed more presence experiences, and higher degree of emotional touch than the subjects exposed to the movie with manipulated attention. However meaningful difference of recognition memory was not discovered between the 2 groups. The result of this research can have a meaning because proceeding studies about presence effect of movie mainly dealt with the effect of HDTV, 3D image, stereo sound on the experience of presence, arousal, pleasure of movie audience and it is difficult to find studies about the relation between attention of movie audience and the experience of presence, emotional touch, and memory.
- Barfield, W. & Weghorst, S.(1993). "The sense of presence within virtual environment: A conceptual framework". Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Vol. 5, 699-704.
- Biocca, F., "The cyborg's dilemma! Progressive embodiment in virtual environment". Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 3, No 2, 1997.
- Freeman, J., Avons, S. E., Pearson, D. E., & Ijsselsteijn, W. A.(1999). "Effects of sensory information and prior experience on direct subjective ratings of presence". Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol. 8, No 1, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1162/105474699566017
- Fumess, T. A., Duh, H. B. L., Rached, H. A., & Lin, J. J.(2002). "Effects of field of view on presence, enjoyment, memory, and simulator sickness in a virtual environment". IEEE Virtual Reality Conference.
- Hee-Ok Nho, Yong-Ho Kim, Seung-Jun Hong, "A Study on Technostress of Information Communication Technology User", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 41-46, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.041
- H. G., Kim, "A Study on the Subjective Typology of Stereoscopic Presence", Broadcasting Telecommunication Research, summer of 2010.
- Heeter, C., Being there: "The subjective experience of presence". Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Cambridge, MA : MIT Press. 1992.
- Hendrix, C., & Barfield, W., "Presence within virtual environments as a function of visual display parameters". Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol. 5, No 3, 274-289. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1162/pres.19126.96.36.1994
- Kim, T. & Biocca. F., "Telepresence via Television : Two Dimensions of Telepresence May Have Different Connections to Memory and Persuasion". Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 3, No 2. 1997.
- Ki-Sun Han, "Broadcasting Contents Management System in Restricted Area", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 9-13, 2013.
- Lombard, M. & Ditton, T. B., Measuring Presence: "A Literature-based approach to the development of a standardized paper-and-pencil instrument". Project abstract submitted for presentation at Presence 2000: the Third International Workshop on Presence. 2000.
- McLuhan, M., & Fiore, Q., "The Medium is the Message: An Inventory of Effects". Translated by J. H. Kim., Communicationbooks., 2001.
- Minsky, M., "Telepresence. Omni Magazine", No 2, 45-51. 1980.
- O. G., Lee, & I. H., Lee, "Effects of Reality in High Definition Television on the Experience of Presence", Journal of Korean Broadcasting, Vol. 20, No 2, 197-236, 2006.
- Reeves, B., & Nass, C., "The media equation : How people treat computers, television, and new media like real people and places", Stanford, CA : CSLI Publications. 1996.
- Schloerb, D. W., A "Quantatative measure of telepresence", Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol. 4, No 1, 54-80. 1995.
- Seung-Soo Shin, "A Study on Multi-Media Contents Security Using Android Phone", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 19-25, 2012.
- Sheridan, T. B., "Musings on telepresence and virtual presence". Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, No 1, 120-126. 1992.
- Slatter, M., Usoh, M., & Steed, A., "Depth of presence in virtual environment". Presence, Vol. 3, No 2, 130-144. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1162/pres.19188.8.131.52
- Steuer, J.. "Musing on telepresence and virtual presence". Presence: Teleoerators and Virtual Environments, Vol. 1, No 1, 120-126. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1162/pres.19184.108.40.206
- T. S. Kang.., "Effect of news ticker in TV news", Journal of Korean Broadcasting, 23-6, 7-46. 2009.
- T. Y., Kim, "Perceiver Properties Influencing the Likelihood of Experiencing Telepresence", Journal of Korean Broadcasting, Vol. 17, No 2, 111-142, 2003.